Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Wipe out!!

7K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  gallam03 
#1 ·
I wiped out yesterday and I’m happy to report that not only am I okay, but the left Hand Guard actually protected the lever from getting scratched or broken....it was sub 30 degrees so I’m really surprised it didn’t shatter. The crash bar was well worth the investment of $130 Actual damage to the bike was very minimal since the hand guard and crash bar took the grunt of it. The end cap of the heated grips ripped off and I believe just a minor scratch on the left foot peg and a small scratch on the left rear blinker that you cant even see...you gotta feel for it. Haha. First time I’ve ever wiped out. Oh and a nick on the left mirror. No biggie.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad to hear the damage was minimal and that you weren't injured. Remember, I'm the one who suggested you might want to consider a side car for your next mod. I'm just saying........
But I'm really glad you are ok. That type of an event usually educates a rider to another level. You get up thinking...I'll never try that again.

#6 ·
So what happened?? My front brake locked up....so the lesson here is...quit trying to make parts work that weren’t necessarily made for the scrambler. Haha.

I had bought some levers that said they fit the Bolt, so I thought I’d give em a try. Nothing happened the first few rides And times I went to work so why would I think otherwise. The dimple that the plunger goes in for the front brake must have been just a hair off. Enough that nothing cued me to think anything was wrong. When I realized something was wrong...I tried to get to the next turn off, but it happened so fast I didn’t obviously make it.

Thank God I had decided to go in town the longer way home so it happened at about 20ish mph.

I had shared what levers I got in a different thread and I can’t seem to find it. I did remember who asked so I already messaged them to not to get them. With that said...does anyone know how I can find a specific post of mine? I’d like to delete It.

#7 ·
Wow!!! Good to know. Glad you didnt get hurt. Bike doesnt look too bad.
To delete post.
Go to tools----- Then go to find my posts in the drop down.
Then find your post in the list and click on it. That will bring up your post in the thread. Then go to edit. In there you will find the delete option.

#9 ·
The main thing is that you're alright. Sounds like you're ok and that is good news! I've heard said that if you ride for long enough chances are you will have some kind of mishap - knock on wood. I've actually had the same thing happen to me years ago. Front brake locked up on a friends junker I was test riding. I was lucky with just a bit of road rash and no major damage.
The other thing is fitting aftermarket parts on a bike they aren't necessarily specifically designed for. Always gotta check and double check to test everything is functioning properly - safety first. If it seems a little off or doesn't look quite right why take a chance. Glad to hear you are ok!

#19 ·
:surprise: Uuuugh, sorry to hear, but glad you are OK. I had a red light runner last year in Chicago almost take me out. My bike wound up being totaled. I wonder if a crash guard would have helped.

Is the crash guard you have made for the SCR950? If so, I'd appreciate a link so I can have a look. I'm looking to get one that is an easy install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.