Slotted Seat Tab - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Schu
  • 1 Post By scrpeter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slotted Seat Tab

No more inadvertently dropping the seat retainer bolt into the abyss when removing the seat. Now I just loosen the screw and slide the seat forward on an upward angle. Opposite process for reinstalling the seat. No I am not worried about the seat falling off if the screw loosens up. I would have to be somewhere other than sitting on the bike for that to happen.

Next trick is to swap the hex head bolt with an allen head bolt and then modify a ball end Allen wrench so that it is long enough to insert thru the oval port holes on the left side cover. The ball end Allen wrench will allow for the slightly angled approach. No more side cover removal in order to remove the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_141755-1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	12584  
flatrack and scrpeter like this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
No more inadvertently dropping the seat retainer bolt into the abyss when removing the seat. Now I just loosen the screw and slide the seat forward on an upward angle. Opposite process for reinstalling the seat. No I am not worried about the seat falling off if the screw loosens up. I would have to be somewhere other than sitting on the bike for that to happen.

Next trick is to swap the hex head bolt with an allen head bolt and then modify a ball end Allen wrench so that it is long enough to insert thru the oval port holes on the left side cover. The ball end Allen wrench will allow for the slightly angled approach. No more side cover removal in order to remove the seat.
Nice job! Yes, I agree. If you're not on the seat when it falls off the bike, you gots bigger worries!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 AM

Garage
Well done!
I just located an Allen wrench set like this online.
Reckon one like that would do?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ex+Keys&pos=19

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Well done!

It needs to be the type with a spherical shape on the working end so that the hex will engage on a slight angle. That way I can stick it in thru the oval port hole on the side plate. It's not easy to find the screw head with the tool. Luckily there are two ovals to help see what you're doing. But I can do it now without looking. The straight shank needs to be longer than my standard t-handle wrenches. I will purchase a ball end hex that is fixed to a 1/4" drive socket. I already have two 1/4" drive extensions that combine for sufficient length. I will then make a removable L-handle for the extension. That way it all breaks down small enough to carry in my crossbar bag that I acquired from Krixtoph, and the weight is minimal being all little 1/4" drive tools.
(1 ball end hex bit, 2 extensions, 1 L-handle)

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

Last edited by Schu; 12-12-2018 at 07:11 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Well done!

It needs to be the type with a spherical shape on the working end so that the hex will engage on a slight angle. That way I can stick it in thru the oval port hole on the side plate. It's not easy to find the screw head with the tool. Luckily there are two ovals to help see what you're doing. But I can do it now without looking. The straight shank needs to be longer than my standard t-handle wrenches. I will purchase a ball end hex that is fixed to a 1/4" drive socket. I already have two 1/4" drive extensions that combine for sufficient length. I will then make a removable L-handle for the extension. That way it all breaks down small enough to carry in my crossbar bag that I acquired from Krixtoph, and the weight is minimal being all little 1/4" drive tools.
(1 ball end hex bit, 2 extensions, 1 L-handle)
Schu, would you just hinge that
d_ _n seat, already?!😉 LOL, JK and all that! Maybe hinge it to the side, then we'll have all the bases covered. I REALLY like the ease of access, having it hinged. On a side note, I went for a two hour ride yesterday and the comfort level has increased with the new Seat Concepts foam and cover. Not Corbin comfortable, but an improvement. jevers

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
No more inadvertently dropping the seat retainer bolt into the abyss when removing the seat.
Glad to see that this hapened to others

Great trick !
Schu likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page