Whose Bike? - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Whose Bike?

Spy shot from DMC sidecars in Seattle (even blurry like a spy shot), sent from a buddy whose son works there. Someone is gonna have a very cool sidecar rig . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E80BC2F3-262C-4EB1-B074-A7803D4AEC0A.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15100  

Gray is faster. Itís science.
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Spy shot from DMC sidecars in Seattle (even blurry like a spy shot), sent from a buddy whose son works there. Someone is gonna have a very cool sidecar rig . . .
Oh my! That is cool, but I'm afraid she's going to be horribly underpowered. Sidecars rob a lot of power and as we are aware of, our beloved SCRs don't have much to spare. Still cool, though! Thanks for sharing that pic. Jevers
eddie and Dread like this.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:21 AM

Garage
I was thinking something similar.
It's gonna be slow and "How is it gonna keep from overheating?"
That lead me to consider two modifications I know nothing about in regards to the Bolt/SCR 950:
An external oil cooler and a chain drive conversion to get the sidecar rig a little better pulling power.
After seeing several custom Bolts prior to the SCR's creation that sported chains, if there isn't a specific conversion "kit"
for our bikes, are there other Yamaha V-twins that share components for which conversions have been made that will fit?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It will be fine in the power department. I have a buddy - in fact the one that sent me this - who has a sidecar rig on a KLR. If he can do it, the SCR can certainly do it. Will it be a speed demon? No, but it is a sidecar rig, it isnít supposed to be. But it will handle the roads just fine, and honestly we donít know what the owner is planning to do with it. Interstate may not be awesome, but 2 lane highway roads would be neat.

Anyone have an scr or heard of a bolt overheating? Honest question because I do think that could be a concern depending on how itís ridden and I wonder under what circumstances this engine overheats.

Also, on a side note, it cracks me up how different communities of riders approach the hp question. Iíve owned bikes from 23 hp all the way up to 135 hp and toured on each of them. I actually was looking for a 50 hp bike when I got the SCR, that is just about right for me and my personal gold standard. I just came off of a CRF250L, and I feel like I have oodles of power, then I get here and everyone complains about how underpowered these bikes are. All relative I suppose, and perhaps a function of being over 50 as well. A lot less desire for lots of hp these days, more desire to stop and smell the roses. Or manure, ya know, depending on where Iím riding.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:58 AM

In my opinion the Bolt engine is in no danger of overheating its 4+ quarts of sump oil. The limited data I have so far shows an operating range of 167 to 205 deg.F, depending on air temperature. The engine sump temperature was measured with an IR pyrometer after riding 20 miles at highway speeds.

For comparison, my Jeep has an engine oil cooler and runs 188 - 220 deg.F. This is an optimum range to vaporize harmful condensates that form after short trips.

Iíll keep collecting data into the summer and see what happens when itís over 100 deg.F outside. Not uncommon here in Arizona. By then I will have completed engine break-in and switched to Yamalube 15W-50 Full Synthetic as a precaution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil_Temps.png
Views:	95
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	15102  
Dread likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM

As for the sidecar, the Owner's Manual states on p.2-4:
* This vehicle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar.

So I guess Yamaha assumes no liability and it's proceed at your own risk.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, that statement isn't worth a whole lot. Really just the start of the convo as far as liability is concerned. They also say it isn't for offroad riding but market it as a . . . wait for it . . . scrambler.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrover View Post
* This vehicle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar.

One of our forum members who disappeared awhile back is still trying to sell his sidecar at a greatly reduced price.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy...798033635.html

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrover View Post

One of our forum members who disappeared awhile back is still trying to sell his sidecar at a greatly reduced price.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy...798033635.html
I don't think that any bike is designed for a sidecar, other than a Ural or a Harley ( back when they were producing their own). It's just that some bikes are better suited to handle a sidecar better than others. Power, weight, drivetrain and the physical size of the potential tug are all factors. Each to his own. The SCR does have a full exposed frame for easy mounting and should have enough torque to pull around a small sidecar. It will be interesting to see how the belt drive holds up, though.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting. This is my first belt drive bike. What are the sorts of things that stress out a belt drive?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page