The Grand Tour - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

The Grand Tour

So, I received a nice surprise the other day........the missus, out of the blue, said I should take a bike tour this year! My only thought on this was, she must have another man. But hey! Bike tour!
So......after regaining consciousness and coming round, picking myself up off the floor, I got to thinking - where to go?
I've got 7 days. Certainly don't want to stay in the UK. I've saved a few touring guides from various mags through the years, so starting flicking through these, and an idea started to formulate - The Black Forest in Germany! Not too close, not too far. And home to the B500 - consistently considered one of the top-10 biking roads in the world. Yes!
Spoke to the old man - he's up for it. Game on.
Now to planning.......
There is, however, a little thing niggling the back of my mind (no, not the thought of there being another man.....if there is, I'll bring him a gift back!! )
No.....is the SCR going to be up to it? Not in terms of "will it survive" - of course it will. But is it powerful and/or fast enough. Now, I'm no speed demon by any stretch, but most days will be at least 200 miles, some will be closer 300. Inevitably, there will be some motorway/highway involved (although I'll try to minimise this). Also bear in mind, the old man is on a BMW R1200RS - 135bhp of Bavarian loveliness. When I'm really stretching the throttle cables, he'll be about ticking over in 6th.
At the same time, I would really like to take the SCR - I think it'll be a hoot.
Take look at 'circuit' people do around the Black Forest though - I doubt there'd be much left of the pegs, never mind the feelers ('hero blobs'):

https://goo.gl/maps/tJenZsYHexC2

Can anyone assuage my fears?
Ben
Bam likes this.

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
I toured all over the western USA on a crf250l, interstate highways and small two lane roads. The SCR will be fine, and you will look REALLY cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2139CE36-177C-436B-BA58-63B2BD446C78.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	15112  

Gray is faster. It’s science.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
So, I received a nice surprise the other day........the missus, out of the blue, said I should take a bike tour this year! My only thought on this was, she must have another man. But hey! Bike tour!
So......after regaining consciousness and coming round, picking myself up off the floor, I got to thinking - where to go?
I've got 7 days. Certainly don't want to stay in the UK. I've saved a few touring guides from various mags through the years, so starting flicking through these, and an idea started to formulate - The Black Forest in Germany! Not too close, not too far. And home to the B500 - consistently considered one of the top-10 biking roads in the world. Yes!
Now to planning.......
There is, however, a little thing niggling the back of my mind (no, not the thought of there being another man.....if there is, I'll bring him a gift back!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SCR950Forum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG])
No.....is the SCR going to be up to it? Not in terms of "will it survive" - of course it will. But is it powerful and/or fast enough. Now, I'm no speed demon by any stretch, but most days will be at least 200 miles, some will be closer 300. Inevitably, there will be some motorway/highway involved (although I'll try to minimise this). Also bear in mind, the old man is on a BMW R1200RS - 135bhp of Bavarian loveliness. When I'm really stretching the throttle cables, he'll be about ticking over in 6th.
At the same time, I would really like to take the SCR - I think it'll be a hoot.
Take look at 'circuit' people do around the Black Forest though - I doubt there'd be much left of the pegs, never mind the feelers ('hero blobs'):

Ben
The only real problem that I see is the seat. I would recommend an Air Hawk inflatable seat cushion. They take some getting used to the feeling like you're sitting on a couple dozen of eggs rolling around under your butt. BUTT, it's definitely worth the trade off. The relatively small gas tank is actually a good thing. You get more chances to get off of that seat! Sounds like a blast!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Lucky you. I’m happy just to be able to ride a couple hours around the lake on a weekend before I have to be back home herding cattle . . . er, kids. My only concern would be making sure the BMW stays out of the throttle on the long stretches.

As for your marital suspicions, MGTOW.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Check out “Tough Rides India” on Prime Video or YouTube. If they can get around the entire country on those last-gen Royal Enfields you’ll be fine.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Now to planning.......
There is, however, a little thing niggling the back of my mind (no, not the thought of there being another man.....if there is, I'll bring him a gift back!! )

Ben
That's awesome Ben. And to be sharing that experience with your father is priceless.
Things will be fine while you're gone.
No need to bring me back a gift.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I toured all over the western USA on a crf250l, interstate highways and small two lane roads. The SCR will be fine, and you will look REALLY cool.
Ha! That is a priority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The only real problem that I see is the seat. I would recommend an Air Hawk inflatable seat cushion. They take some getting used to the feeling like you're sitting on a couple dozen of eggs rolling around under your butt. BUTT, it's definitely worth the trade off. The relatively small gas tank is actually a good thing. You get more chances to get off of that seat! Sounds like a blast!
I’m not really worried about the seat, TBH. The aforementioned missus used an Airhawk when we toured France on the Harley, and didn’t really rate it. Having said that, if any of you guys in the US are willing to order me the Corbin Gunslinger Seat, and then send it on to me at cost (avoiding the ridiculous surcharges) - now that I would like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
Lucky you. I’m happy just to be able to ride a couple hours around the lake on a weekend before I have to be back home herding cattle . . . er, kids. My only concern would be making sure the BMW stays out of the throttle on the long stretches.

As for your marital suspicions, MGTOW.
I had to look MGTOW up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
That's awesome Ben. And to be sharing that experience with your father is priceless.
Things will be fine while you're gone.
No need to bring me back a gift.
Aah - you’re the one then! Good luck with that.....!!
Ben
Schu likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Bam

I`m really looking forward to read some reports (and pics please) from this trip. Sounds like a great tour. I`m also hoping for the summer to give some opportunities for touring, however I have the same concerns as you about the SCR`s suitability for longer trips.

Wonderful idea though, any ideals this far what your wife is expecting as ”compensation”. (Some of us might be able to plant some seeds...)

/A
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam View Post
I`m really looking forward to read some reports (and pics please) from this trip. Sounds like a great tour. I`m also hoping for the summer to give some opportunities for touring, however I have the same concerns as you about the SCR`s suitability for longer trips.

Wonderful idea though, any ideals this far what your wife is expecting as ”compensation”. (Some of us might be able to plant some seeds...)

/A
Yes, there was a list of demands! Check this out.....
1) I have to leave her some spending money (fine with that).
2) Try and go in term time, so she’s not left with all the childcare (also fair)

And the last one......

3) WRITE MY WILL!! (“Just in case......you never know”)!!!

Jeez - it’s nearly put me off going!!!

Ben
Bam likes this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
if any of you guys in the US are willing to order me the Corbin Gunslinger Seat, and then send it on to me at cost (avoiding the ridiculous surcharges) - now that I would like!
Ooh you've got me tempted here; I wouldn't mind the excuse to ride down to Hollister for the day (my own missus will be traveling for work next week anyhow), and if you are a real mate, you wouldn't mind me putting 100 miles on the new seat. For quality assurance.
SCRBen likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page