2 Bikes in 1 - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gallam03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 141
2 Bikes in 1

You know what the best thing is about buying a Scrambler?? You get 2 bikes in 1. In just a few short hours, and for a minimal investment, you can convert your Scrambler into a Bolt if you so choose. And you can switch back too of course!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60D33EC7-8BFE-4527-B8D9-47253AED10F4_1554678512458.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	15464   Click image for larger version

Name:	A330CD7B-47DD-4E6B-B872-A8C14AC252E9_1554678529806.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	15466  
yoitsemo and Krixtoph like this.

Martin
gallam03 is offline  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallam03 View Post
You know what the best thing is about buying a Scrambler?? You get 2 bikes in 1. In just a few short hours, and for a minimal investment, you can convert your Scrambler into a Bolt if you so choose. And you can switch back too of course!!
I am at 3 and counting.
I un"bolt"ed it within 3 days of buying it.
I café-d mine with the C spec stuff a week or so ago.


The café makes you think you're riding a "race bike" - except you're still riding a 550lb pig with pretend dirt tars.


SCR has long enough cables and wires to outright go full cruiser with apes and forward pegs. 4 in 1.
srinath is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gallam03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath View Post
I am at 3 and counting.
I un"bolt"ed it within 3 days of buying it.
I café-d mine with the C spec stuff a week or so ago.


The café makes you think you're riding a "race bike" - except you're still riding a 550lb pig with pretend dirt tars.


SCR has long enough cables and wires to outright go full cruiser with apes and forward pegs. 4 in 1.
Awesome!! I actually want to do forward pegs. Can you point me in the right direction??

Martin
gallam03 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 229
True forward or just bolt-forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallam03 View Post
Awesome!! I actually want to do forward pegs. Can you point me in the right direction??
This may be the hardest and most $$$ of the bunch.


True forward pegs requires stock non C spec bolt footpeg carriers and a kit like a low and mean (which in itself runs like 4-500).


C spec foot peg stuff is same as SCR. Which is why by putting on the C spec clip on's and I got a C spec. I have the seat cowl etc sitting at home. That rear seat clamp off the C I have to fab or buy.


I haven't done this part - but in theory get bolt foot peg carrier assy (gear shift, brake lever etc included) and you can move the pegs to the "bolt" position. That's only 1/2 forward IMHO. The non C spec gear mechanism is completely different from the SCR/C. The peg, the linkage etc etc all different.


Then follow the low mean video, buy the parts and do that for true forward pegs.


The bike turns into a C spec easy IMHO.
The SCR actually turns into a ape hanger/high drag bars easier than R spec or C spec cos its got the longest wires and cables. Just make sure you get 7/8 bars in the apes.


The forward peg situation is the hardest to deal with on this bike. Its what they do in that low-mean video+sourcing the correct R/Base bolt parts (which really are pretty abundant cos they made 10X those even compared C+SCR), but you gotta go get them.

However I think the bike is very very cool as a bolt with SCR handlebar. That setup IMHO is hard to beat.


C spec is enjoyable, but it has a bit of a cognitive dissonance. It tells you it can do things that really would end in you falling flat on your a$$.
srinath is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
jobirobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 372
Garage
Forward relocation has been discussed here before, not sure if anyone ever actually bought any of the options, but they exist.
https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/14...ilability.html
@Rokrover found this product (for $180), but of course there's no guarantee that it would work out of the box for an SCR.
https://sscustomcycle.com/product/fo...tion-kit-bolt/
jobirobi is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gallam03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
Forward relocation has been discussed here before, not sure if anyone ever actually bought any of the options, but they exist.
https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/14...ilability.html
@Rokrover found this product (for $180), but of course there's no guarantee that it would work out of the box for an SCR.
https://sscustomcycle.com/product/fo...tion-kit-bolt/
Yup...I've seen all those. and I know it's super expensive to get the pegs and controls...I just asked from srinath's post cause he mentioned it and I was thinking maybe he knows something the rest of us dont?? I've been pricing up parts on ebay, but I still can't get it to fall under 300. lol

Martin
gallam03 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallam03 View Post
Yup...I've seen all those. and I know it's super expensive to get the pegs and controls...I just asked from srinath's post cause he mentioned it and I was thinking maybe he knows something the rest of us dont?? I've been pricing up parts on ebay, but I still can't get it to fall under 300. lol
The Bolt parts are going to give you the first 4" and would cost under $150 (please don't buy that bent a$$ **** that's on there for $50, that **** is garbage) If you have a local walk-in salvage yard, you may be able to snag one for cheap, there are 10X the R/Base Bolts as the SCR/C and afaik - you're alone in looking for that part - you have a virtual monopoly, you pay what you want to pay, or let it rot on the shelf taking up space (that's your line - to be repeated at will, and we wont say otherwise)

The SS cycle parts are not that robust, nor are they as forward as the lo-mean. And the lo-mean and SS stuff looks very clean - Definite plus for those 2. But to be cheap cheap cheap …. look into one of those Harley/generic ones. There's no trick to it. A peg, a gear lever and a linkage rod oughta do the shifter side, and peg and brake rod oughta do the brake. The side stand stays on its current bracket, cos moving that means you gotta have real robust stuff obviously. That lets you out of buying any Base/R spec stuff, maybe its worth it.

TBH, I consider the lo-mean worth it if you have the bolt stuff, the bolt stuff is what I am not sure about. C spec stuff is just awesome IMHO.

The least Kluge looking of the 3 bikes is the C spec IMHO. The rear fender/seat/tail is a little funky and cobbled together looking but all the rest is nice.
The R/base - that gauge cluster setup along with its bracket is just disgusting.
The SCR - what can I say, there is more brackets than bike. In fact Yamaha is the worlds premier bracket maker. Oh yea they make a motor and frame so you can bolt these brackets on and ride around with them. BTW apart from the 1000's of brackets, SCR looks great. Heck even the brackets look great on it.
gallam03 likes this.
srinath is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 229
BTW, the SS cycle parts can be made out of a few pieces of flatbar. Wont look as clean, and may have some trial and error method, but flatbar is cheap and you may get there in a couple tries in any case.
srinath is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gallam03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 141
Thanks for your input! Good to know I was thinking along the same lines for the most part. I'll explore my options a bit further.

Martin
gallam03 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallam03 View Post
Thanks for your input! Good to know I was thinking along the same lines for the most part. I'll explore my options a bit further.
C spec is growing on me. If anything I want to put clip on's and try it - but tail mods first. The C spec tail and a custom tail light etc etc are what the Srinath ordered.
Yea seriously, I ordered them on ebay.
gallam03 likes this.
srinath is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What bikes have you owned before buying or planning on buying a SCR950? eddie New Member Introductions 40 01-15-2021 04:00 AM
Share Pictures Of Your Previous/Current Bikes VSAdmin Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler Pictures 28 05-15-2019 03:45 PM
No More Bikes.... Schu Other Motorcycles 6 09-21-2018 11:09 PM
European bikes jobirobi Other Motorcycles 22 07-10-2018 12:58 PM
Previous Bikes SCRBen Other Motorcycles 30 06-26-2018 07:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome