I was this close... - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I was this close...

Almost went and done it. I don't have a lot of miles on the SCR (207 at the moment) and I've always been a little concerned about the seat height, and my short inseam(29"). So whenever I would stop, I'd be on the balls of my feet. With the bike being top-heavy, the fear of toppling over is always there. So... today I went and looked at the new Royal Enfield INT650. A pretty bike and I could set flat footed. I'd take a hit on the trade-in, but the INT650 is only $5799 w/3yr warranty! While waiting for the powers-that-be to value my bike, the salesman said I could put the bike on its' centerstand, and sit on it to feel the riding position. So I did, and I'm glad I did! First, the control levers are smaller than the SCR, so you almost need to search for them. The upright riding position has you leaning forward to reach the handlebars. Lastly, with the bike being smaller than the SCR, it almost felt like your knees were much too high, sorta like riding your three year old grandkids first bike. After the initial appraisal was written up, I left the dealership and decided to take a LONG way home. I then realized that the SCR's seating was just about spot on, controls easy to find, seating position was good and with the softer cushion/seat cover, the bike was actually quite enjoyable to ride. So for now, these 72 year old bones are gonna stick with the SCR. The grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence. But I do gotta say, that Royal Enfield sure is a purty machine...
TonyKZ1 likes this.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
I believe that you made the right decision! I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do like the SCR, in spite ( and because)of its quirks. Have you tried stopping with your right foot firmly planted on the footpeg and only having your left foot down? With the awkward position of the pegs, I find myself doing it more and more. Jevers

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Garage
Ooooh, there's a RE event in San Jose this weekend. I was thinking of popping down for a test ride. The INT seemed like a good fit for my aesthetic ideals, seeing as it's almost like a smaller SCR. The wife expressly forbade me from becoming a multiple-bike owner... but maybe a trade-in...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Ha, that’s makes a couple of us now then - although something about the SCR then convinces’ us otherwise......

The new RE twins are nice - they look like Triumphs used to look. Getting good reviews over here too.

Couple of things I learned about them recently - they run on fully synth oil - not a big deal, I know it has its fans on here. But also, they need the valves checking at every annual service, so I understand. Might be something to factor in when considering getting one, and you have the dealer do the work.

( @jobirobi - you’re not serious, are you?! )

Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I believe that you made the right decision! I am not loyal to any particular brand, but I do like the SCR, in spite ( and because)of its quirks. Have you tried stopping with your right foot firmly planted on the footpeg and only having your left foot down? With the awkward position of the pegs, I find myself doing it more and more. Jevers
You are spot on with that suggestion Jay. That is exactly what I do with my short legs. Left foot down and fairly flat, while the right foot stays on the peg.

And I agree Lee. I feel the same way with my SCR. Been several times it has almost gotten away from me when it leans too far during tight maneuvers of park'n the pig.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
Funny, cuz I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and I still feel the need to do so. Jevers

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
( @jobirobi - you’re not serious, are you?! )
Of course not. I'm never going back on the dating market, if I can help it. Still want to test drive one, though!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Just a side note... While waiting to take delivery of his RE 500 w/sidecar, a gent was really looking the SCR over. He made a point to tell me how nice the SCR looked. Maybe subconsciously, that sealed the no-sale deal
SCRBen likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
You are spot on with that suggestion Jay. That is exactly what I do with my short legs. Left foot down and fairly flat, while the right foot stays on the peg.

And I agree Lee. I feel the same way with my SCR. Been several times it has almost gotten away from me when it leans too far during tight maneuvers of park'n the pig.
5'7" and this is my go-to stopping position. Sometime go with the right foot on the ground if I'm sitting at a long light and want to be in neutral.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
AHHHHHHH!!!!! Let me tell you a little story about sitting at a stoplight in neutral.
Beautiful summer day here in Minnesota. I had just picked up my new 2003 Honda VTX 1800 Retro from the dealer and I'm 2 blocks away and started my 75 mile ride home. I hit a red light so I pop it in neutral and to make matters worse, I am centered on the car stopped ahead of me. I'm looking around, enjoying the moment when all of a sudden, I hear this God awful sound of tires screeching. I look in my mirror to see a 12 passenger van braking so hard that the front bumper is nearly touching the pavement! Thank God the 16 year old girl got it stopped about 3 feet behind me! Never ever again have I been caught off guard like that. I ALWAYS keep my bike in gear and pointing to the left or right side of the car ahead of me while scanning my mirrors! Just saying.... Jevers
eddie and flatrack like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page