Rider Suggestion - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Rider Suggestion

Riding safety is necessary for all of us. We wear A to Z at the time of riding. The noise of the motorcycle and the flow of the wind can damage our normal hearing capability?
Thoughts?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

What kind of noise canceling earplugs do we need at the time of riding?
eddie likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
Almost 30 years ago, an Army friend convinced me to try a pair of earplugs while riding.
He was a mechanic that dealt with turbine engines a lot and hearing protection was an absolute necessity for him.
Ken had read about a study where continuous exposure to loud noises could not only damage your hearing permanently in the long run, but also lead to fatigue in the short term.
At his urging, I put in the earplugs and rode for about 20 minutes.
"Now take them out and ride a bit more." was his instruction.
I stopped almost immediately and put them back in.
The difference was impressive!
Around town with lots of stop/go riding? I don't bother to plug up.
Anything longer than a few minutes steady rolling, though and I'm looking for the set I stuck in a pocket somewhere.
What brand is up to you and it is a choice of comfort, cost, etc.
Me? I like inexpensive Flents brand foam plugs.
They have a 33db noise reduction (about as good as it gets for over the counter plugs) and can be bought in quantity for a decent savings.
If you lose a pair? It's no big $ deal.
One of the most convenient places to buy them is good ole' Walmart! I get the 40 pair container and change them out every other ride or so.
I can still hear some sounds when I ride, but wind noise with a HJC full faced helmet and no windshield is almost non-existent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	15864   Click image for larger version

Name:	flents-ear-plugs.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	15866  

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM

My thoughts are probably the opposite of what you are asking ... safety and gear are personal decisions. My risk tolerance is different than the next guy's. Riding safety is NOT necessary for all of us.

Now, if you're asking for advice on a specific safety issue from those who share your concerns, that's a perfectly fine thing. But it's not universal.

Sorry if this sounds abrupt, but I've had way too many years of the ATGATT crowd trying to shame their beliefs onto everyone else.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Garage
"What kind of noise canceling earplugs do we need at the time of riding?",
is a pretty specific question.

Yes, gear is a personal choice for all.
Me? I've made good and bad choices.
I once wore the wrong footware and lost the side of my foot in a fall.
Now, I wear good riding boots.
Wrong pants?
I lost a hand size chunk of my left calf hide.
Right helmet (for me) the 1st time: I'm here after a wicked slide on pavement at 50mph+ then in the dirt and 30' down a steep embankment where I hit my head hard
enough to crush the hard styrofoam inside the helmet with my forehead and yet am here to tell the tale.
Earplugs 90% of the time??
I can hear my grandkids.
yoitsemo likes this.

Last edited by eddie; 06-10-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: clarification
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 AM

what ???

the sooner you hear the screeching tires the quicker you can react.
needlepoint might be a better hobby for you.... just be careful with the needles don't stick them in your ears.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM

I know I'm risking so much not wearing the proper pants or jacket every time I ride, but heck yeah I'm wearing basic earplugs anytime I'm riding for longer than a few minutes with an open face helmet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrank View Post
What kind of noise canceling earplugs do we need at the time of riding?
My hearing loss is at the point now where simple removal of my hearing aids is equivalent to inserting ear plugs. I was pleased to discover that I can still hear quite well using my early Father's Day gift. I now have the latest version of the sena blue tooth on my helmet. It's nice to communicate with my two boys when we head out together for a ride. I haven't tried tried phone calls or listening to Van Halen yet. I may give the later a go, but I don't intend on using the phone feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190526_112328.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	15874  
jackfrank likes this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I now have the latest version of the sena blue tooth on my helmet. It's nice to communicate with my two boys when we head out together for a ride. I haven't tried tried phone calls or listening to Van Halen yet. I may give the later a go, but I don't intend on using the phone feature.
Nice little gift! I picked up a Cardo Freecom 2 over the winter to put into my also new Nolan helmet and its a game changer for morning commutes to/from work. Music via bluetooth keeps me calm and focused, and the call quality is amazing. I don't talk often mind you, but when I do nobody knows I'm even talking from within my helmet until I mention I'm out for a ride. I haven't linked with any other riders yet, but overall I'm loving these moto-friendly headsets.

On to the main topic of this thread, I don't ride with ear protection since I always ride with a full-faced, closed helmet. I've worn goggles only a few times, and every time I do I get smacked in the face by a june bug, horse fly, bumble bee, or some other monstrous unidentified flying insectoid going 40+mph. Ever get shot by a paintball gun in the face or neck? Yeah... it's like that.
eddie likes this.

Get some leather for your SCR950!
Clutch-side Pony Express Bag - $175
Airbox-side Pony Express Bag - $175
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags - $345
Or Get shorty - $120
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered - $55
How about a forkbag? - $45
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
the sooner you hear the screeching tires the quicker you can react.
needlepoint might be a better hobby for you.... just be careful with the needles don't stick them in your ears.
By the time you hear the tires, it's probably too late.

I ride with my eyes open, check the mirrors constantly, my head on a swivel and the assumption that every vehicle around me can and will do the dumbest thing imaginable.
I worked as a courier right out of college. 5 days a week in city traffic and not one accident. Maybe I was just lucky.
|
Privately, I've been hit exactly once in 400k+ miles.
That was in 1994 by a lady in front of me at a stop sign that suddenly remembered something at the bank we'd just passed. She put her new Camry in reverse and took out the front wheel of my bike before knocking it to the ground and pitching me to the side in the process. Reverse lights to impact was less than 2 seconds.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page