Hello All from Southeast Missouri - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Hello All from Southeast Missouri

Hello All. While I haven't gotten a SCR950 yet, I've been reading about this bike since it came out and hoping that they'd be popular and Yamaha would sell bunches of these bikes. Well apparently not.

I'm currently riding a 1997 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II, basically an sporty standard 600cc 4 cyl air cooled bike with a fairing. I bought it back in Jan 2014 with 13k miles on it and pretty much ride it every day to work in Cape Girardeau, MO. I've now got over 89k miles on it. So I'm slowly looking for a bike to eventually replace it, I'd prefer something affordable with good mpg, big fuel tank, enough power, and a big alternator/stator. Seems like this bike checks at least some of those options.

A dealership not too far away, Big St. Charles Motorsports keeps sending me emails trying hard to sell me of these SCR950s. I've even found a used one not too far away for less than Big St. Charles wants for a new one, so I'm thinking pretty hard about that.

I've been reading ChopperCharles's posts over on advrider about his bike and his ongoing modifications, opinions, etc. Interesting stuff.

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
Welcome, and GOOD LORD man, run, don't walk over to Big St. Charles and git yerself a BRAND NEW one for $3757+tax! You really can't go wrong with buying one of these, especially at that price. I bought mine in April of last year for $4995+tax and at that time it was a great price. I have no regrets whatsoever and this is the 29th bike I have owned. Good luck! Jevers
TonyKZ1 likes this.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 AM

I agree, considering the new one there is so inexpensive, it just makes sense not to save maybe 500, or even 1000 bucks for a new one.

It will be a difference from what you're riding now, but you will love it. I get folks all the time walking up and asking me about it, has great appeal to all types.

TonyKZ1 likes this.

HWYSTR455 on PY Forums

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 474 blown EFI pro tour car (next on list)
1972 442 W-30 Tribute
442 Build Thread:
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...e-project.html
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 PM

Garage
UPDATE... Big St. Charles is sold out of the SCR950s. You can get on a waiting/wish list by calling them. Jevers

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
UPDATE... Big St. Charles is sold out of the SCR950s. You can get on a waiting/wish list by calling them. Jevers
At the price you guys are able to buy them I'm not surprised 👍

So many bikers look at mine and ask if I've customer it and they're all surprised when I tell them that's how it came from the factory (minus my mods that is &#x1f601
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I’d be interested to know how much they were losing on each one....?
Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, from what I understand they got an outstanding deal from Yamaha on these, bought a ton of them, and proceeded to sell them at a greatly reduced price from retail. I'm sure they still made money on them, don't know how much of course.
SCRBen likes this.

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM

There's still a bunch left for $3995 in a number of states/dealers, you can shop it:

https://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-S...e%3Aasc&page=3

If you keep an eye out & be patient, you can probably find it a little less. But watch out for fine print and taxes, fee, etc.

The $3995 price is pretty common.

HWYSTR455 on PY Forums

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 474 blown EFI pro tour car (next on list)
1972 442 W-30 Tribute
442 Build Thread:
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...e-project.html
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:31 PM

I just emailed one of the dealers through cycletrader. We'll see if they answer. Nobody seems to when I have requested quotes through the dealer websites.

Why even have a "request quote" if you never answer?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn View Post
I just emailed one of the dealers through cycletrader. We'll see if they answer. Nobody seems to when I have requested quotes through the dealer websites.

Why even have a "request quote" if you never answer?
You know how you have that email sitting in your inbox right now that you've been meaning to respond to but there have been other priorities for weeks/months/years? Just call them!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page