New member - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Hello fellow Scr riders. My name is Chris. I bought a new 2017 scr last June. Itís my fourth bike. Too be honest I was thinking of selling my Honda Ctx and getting out of riding. Then I saw the scr and I had a new love for riding again. I live in Canada so the riding season is short. I put 11,000 kilometres on the bike last summer and I have to say, I smiled every time I rode it.

There is something about the bike. First I love the looks of the SCR 950. And that VTwin is a sweet engine. I do all sorts of riding, from quick trips after work to weekend rides down to the Adirondack area. I think my longest day riding was 560 kilometres. Thatís enough for my 45 year old back.

As far as my bike. I bought it with the OEM quick release windscreen, upgrade adventure footpegs, saddlebags, skid plate, and then added Yamaha heated grips, and a USB charger. Oh and I got the brown seat cover from Luimoto. It adds a bit more cushion and looks great.

Iíve looked at the Koso metre but too be honest I kinda like the shitty one that comes stock. It is so bad that it has grown on me and I hardly look at it anyways. Speedo and clock are the two things I use most.

I have rode the bike on gravel and itís lots of fun. Iím careful to stay on well graded roads but the bike can scramble.

Itís just a great all around bike. I ride mostly secondary highways so 80 to 110 km per hour. Itís perfect for that. Iíve rode four lane highways too but thatís not my thing. The SCR handles great, lots of power, sounds great, and attracts lots of attention. I went on a charity ride and 99 percent of bikes were Harleys. I had tons of people ask me about my bike. People are always walking up to me and saying ďnice bikeĒ.

I have absolutely no regrets buying the bike. Took it out last week. It was plus 2 (Celsius) froze my ass but I needed to ride.

With all this Covid 19... I need to ride. Might as well social isolate on my SCR 950.

Safe riding everyone and hello from Pembroke Ontario. 👍
Burke, SCRBen and Dread like this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 02:47 PM

Garage
Welcome Chris. It sounds like your SCR is set up with some nice mods. I think we would all agree with your outlook on the SCR. I'm from Michigan and the weather is finally coming around for riding. I also plan to do my social distancing on two wheels. I saw this posted on another forum and had to smile. And there isn't much about this ordeal to smile about...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3733.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	17110  

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Welcome Chris. It sounds like your SCR is set up with some nice mods. I think we would all agree with your outlook on the SCR. I'm from Michigan and the weather is finally coming around for riding. I also plan to do my social distancing on two wheels. I saw this posted on another forum and had to smile. And there isn't much about this ordeal to smile about...
We did have a big red and I flipped it when I was 12. Fun machine but unsafe!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 10:38 PM

Garage
Nice, welcome. I finally got my SCR out after being down recovering from surgery. It is a bike that defies everything. On paper it should not be as fun as it is, but what a gas! I am always smiling when I ride it.

Gray is faster. Itís science.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 03:29 PM

Garage
Welcome to the club!
[email protected] likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

So true. When I first rode the Scr away from the dealership I thought hmm Iím not sure about this. But by the time I arrived home I was hooked. The bike is heavy but doesnít feel heavy once your moving. Itís also probably the most well balanced bike I have owned. It handles better than I thought it would. I think the transmission is great and that allows you to really row through the gears and get the most Out of the engine. I have owned a CB 650 custom, VStar 650, and a Honda CTX 700. The SCR is my favourite bike. Gonna keep it a long time. I guess itís a future classic since it only was made for one year.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Gonna keep it a long time.
Good call.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page