Newbie alert, hello from the U.K. - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SCRBen
  • 1 Post By Schu
  • 1 Post By Mence

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Newbie alert, hello from the U.K.

Hi, my name is Mence, odd I know, it's a family name.

Been riding pretty much all my life but at 58 years old am kind of looking for a real long term prospect for my next ride, something which I hope will be low maintenance although I'm happy to get my hands dirty if necessary.

To be honest, I didn't know the SCR was a thing until quite recently but once I saw it, I fell in love...especially with the shape and stance. On paper at least it seems to tick all my boxes and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it looks **** good, takes me straight back to the 80s, a particularly enjoyable biking time for me.

I admit I don't own one yet but I reckon it will happen in the next 6-8 weeks. I will probably look at second hand unless someone has an amazing deal on a new one.

Looking forward to reading the posts already here and if I ask some seemingly dumb questions, go gentle on me, at the moment I feel like a kid in a candy shop!
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Ha! You can have mine!!

(Pictured today, breaking COVID lock-down.....)

Welcome - what have you had before?

Cheers,
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6960B76D-4576-41FB-BD80-20E1A822DD35.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	17410  

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
Ha! You can have mine!!

(Pictured today, breaking COVID lock-down.....)

Welcome - what have you had before?

Cheers,
Ben
Hi, yes please!

Mostly two strokes in the past, Suzuki in particular. I have just sold my last one a '69 T500, I restore them more as a hobby than for financial gain, had more GT500s than I can remember!
Currently batting around on a Honda Cb500X which is fun, prior to that, a BMW R1200C Cruiser, the list goes on.

The Honda is super but lacks grunt, the Beemer had grunt but the running costs of a small country.

Hopefully this will fall in between...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mence View Post
Hi, yes please!

Mostly two strokes in the past, Suzuki in particular. I have just sold my last one a '69 T500, I restore them more as a hobby than for financial gain, had more GT500s than I can remember!
Currently batting around on a Honda Cb500X which is fun, prior to that, a BMW R1200C Cruiser, the list goes on.

The Honda is super but lacks grunt, the Beemer had grunt but the running costs of a small country.

Hopefully this will fall in between...
Two strokes, you say.......??

You’ve lost me there - but there’s a couple of fanatics on here - I’m sure they’ll be along shortly (I wish there was an ‘eye roll’ emoji on here....... ). Prepare for lots of sepia-tinged pictures of dusty looking bikes......

I had one of the CB500s overnight once, when my Hornet was being serviced. Seemed OK, if a little utilitarian. No doubt it has the frugality you are looking for tho......

Not sure any of your previous bikes are directly comparable to the SCR tho. The lads will be able to tell you how it compares to your two-strokes (I’d guess “not a lot” is the answer.......)

Whenever I’m asked what it’s like, I think the nearest comparison is a Harley Sportster 883. Ever ridden one? I say it basically a “Yamaha Sportster” - roughly same weight, size, seating position, engine configuration, power output etc. It’s maybe a little taller, revs a little more, but that’s the closest comparison for me.

Ben

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Two strokes, you say.......??

You’ve lost me there - but there’s a couple of fanatics on here - I’m sure they’ll be along shortly (I wish there was an ‘eye roll’ emoji on here....... ). Prepare for lots of sepia-tinged pictures of dusty looking bikes......

I had one of the CB500s overnight once, when my Hornet was being serviced. Seemed OK, if a little utilitarian. No doubt it has the frugality you are looking for tho......

Not sure any of your previous bikes are directly comparable to the SCR tho. The lads will be able to tell you how it compares to your two-strokes (I’d guess “not a lot” is the answer.......)

Whenever I’m asked what it’s like, I think the nearest comparison is a Harley Sportster 883. Ever ridden one? I say it basically a “Yamaha Sportster” - roughly same weight, size, seating position, engine configuration, power output etc. It’s maybe a little taller, revs a little more, but that’s the closest comparison for me.

Ben
It's ok Ben, quite a niche subject these days, I have a separate forum for that.

I'm really not that critical when it comes to bikes, of course I don't want to waste what little hard earned I have but I'm not going to get all excitable about some small shortfalls, no bike is perfect because all riders are different.

My initial concern was the seat height but at 5'11, it seems spot on. I've never ridden a Sportster but I recall sitting on one briefly although aI can't remember what it felt like. I'm heading off to a dealer next week who I know has one, not to buy but to poke around...just to answer a few small questions I have.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mence View Post
My initial concern was the seat height but at 5'11, it seems spot on. I've never ridden a Sportster but I recall sitting on one briefly although aI can't remember what it felt like. I'm heading off to a dealer next week who I know has one, not to buy but to poke around...just to answer a few small questions I have.
Nah, I’m sure you’d be fine at 5’ 11”.

Just bear in mind with the dealer you’re visiting, the SCR has been a really poor seller for Yamaha (for whatever reason), so you could have your pick of zero mile models at Ł6k (I’m sure with considerable room for further haggling too! 👍 )

Good luck.
Ben
Mence likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Prepare for lots of sepia-tinged pictures of dusty looking bikes......
Was that a request for a sepia-tinged picture of a dusty looking 2-stroke?

Made you look...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	17412  
Mence likes this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Was that a request for a sepia-tinged picture of a dusty looking 2-stroke?

Made you look...
Aaaahh, thank you, gotta love those days!
Schu likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page