I'm beginning to understand what it's like... - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm beginning to understand what it's like...

... when you live somewhere with an off-season for motorcycling.

We're on COVID lockdown (with exceptions for essentials, like grocery shopping) for the next three weeks. Thinking about ways to spend some time with the motorized mistress without leaving the property. There is only so much washing I can do before the paint starts to strip off...

How are y'all passing the time?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
... when you live somewhere with an off-season for motorcycling.

We're on COVID lockdown (with exceptions for essentials, like grocery shopping) for the next three weeks. Thinking about ways to spend some time with the motorized mistress without leaving the property. There is only so much washing I can do before the paint starts to strip off...

How are y'all passing the time?
I was going to ask how people were getting on......

We’re currently on personal lockdown in our house, as both the missus and little ‘un have a hacking cough that neither of them can shift. Zoe spoke to the doctor on Tuesday, and he said - as they are both exhibiting symptoms which could be coronavirus, they have to immediately self-isolate for 7 days. Me, because I’m living with them, but not (yet!) exhibiting symptoms.....I have to self-isolate for 14 days!! (in case I’m incubating it, and could therefore pass it on.....). Neither of us believe it is COVID19 though......no-ones’ had a fever (yet).

It’s a drag!! Rightly or wrongly, I’m not including motorcycling in this lock-down though - if I get an hour, I’m gone! I’m not going to stop and talk to anyone, and I’ll ‘pay at the pump’ etc. Fortunately, our pastime can be made very solitary, very easily.....

The country as a whole is going a bit bonkers though.....shops are running out of stuff, people queuing for hours, all the schools’ nationally close indefinitely from Friday.....and all of these measures are already in place in mainland Europe, for the most part. Indeed, France and Italy are telling people to not leave home at all..... if they introduce that in the UK (and I’m sure they will at some point), then any planned rides would be screwed......

In the words of John Lennon, “.....Nobody told me there'd be days like these .......Strange days indeed”.
Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM

On the upside, there’s a lot of funny stuff on social media recently how us GenX’ers are uniquely placed to weather the storm that’s giving me some chuckles.....

All together: “I wanna be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and some tights“ (John Bender/Judd Nelson)

Ben(der)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93B6D63A-844F-4377-9C1E-E5482C9F52B4.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	17102  
ScroogeMcChuck likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 09:59 PM

Garage
You guys got me thinking....Ugh!
It hasn't hit Michigan to the extent you guys are dealing with, but I bet it won't be long. Schools have closed. Bars and restaurants just recently had to shut down. Automotive plants pretty much shutdown today. I work at a family owned business that is operating as normal, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being told they have to close up for a while as well. Strange days indeed!

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 10:49 PM

Garage
We are working from home and quarantining our family. We have all we need to stay in for a bit. My kids are starting to feel it a little. I can ride if I want, things haven’t been shut down to that level yet, so maybe this weekend. We will see.

Gray is faster. It’s science.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:53 AM

Garage
Hi everybody,
I share Jobirobi’s understanding, I have never given up riding my darling every single day from the moment I bought it two years ago. The mild weather in the center Italy area allows you to ride all year round. Due to the COVID19 the nation is in lockdown since the 11th of March. Leaving your house is allowed only in case of proven necessities. It is pandemia indeed, here people is dying by the hundreds every single day!
I didn’t put my nose out of my property since the lockdown and have been keeping my mind busy with all the house and garden and motor bikes works that I was neglecting for years. Eventually I run short of consumables as bolts, screws, paint, sand paper, solvents, brushes and so on. Replenish such consumables is a problem as well as all the shops are obliged to remain closed with the exception of groceries and similar. Delivery from on line shops have considerably slowed down. I started polishing every single spoke of the bike! But shortly I’ll be running short of polish!
Attached a picture of my darling standing like that since the lockdown.
Take good care,
Sandro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_19mar2020164601.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	17104  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santryno View Post
Hi everybody,
I share Jobirobi’s understanding, I have never given up riding my darling every single day from the moment I bought it two years ago. The mild weather in the center Italy area allows you to ride all year round. Due to the COVID19 the nation is in lockdown since the 11th of March. Leaving your house is allowed only in case of proven necessities. It is pandemia indeed, here people is dying by the hundreds every single day!
I didn’t put my nose out of my property since the lockdown and have been keeping my mind busy with all the house and garden and motor bikes works that I was neglecting for years. Eventually I run short of consumables as bolts, screws, paint, sand paper, solvents, brushes and so on. Replenish such consumables is a problem as well as all the shops are obliged to remain closed with the exception of groceries and similar. Delivery from on line shops have considerably slowed down. I started polishing every single spoke of the bike! But shortly I’ll be running short of polish!
Attached a picture of my darling standing like that since the lockdown.
Take good care,
Sandro
Stay strong buddy!! We see on the news that Italy has got it really bad - hopefully the corner will be turned soon.
Ben

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:08 PM

Just slipped in under the wire....

Predicting the inevitable shut-down that was coming, was able to get a cheeky two hours in this morning ..... first proper ride of the year. Stopped in a lay-by on my own (self-isolating, social distancing, whatever you want to call it......), had some lunch, then headed home to work for the afternoon.....

Good job too - as expected this evening, BJ announced a countrywide 3-week shutdown, including all non-essential travel.

Let’s all hope this **** passes soon....

For the eagle-eyed (OK, @Schu ), you’ll notice the Barracuda mirrors I mentioned a few months ago. Also got to fit over winter some nice cnc-machined ASV levers I picked up off the old flea-Bay.

Just need to be allowed out to ride, now.....

Ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F409E564-85F7-4A8C-9858-C9528A3D81B1.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	17114  

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
you’ll notice the Barracuda mirrors I mentioned a few months ago.

Ben
Do those mirrors work Well?
They look great!

We got the word today in Michigan for a 3 week shutdown, minimum. It's going to be tough with no paycheck. Especially if it goes more than 3 weeks.... My wife is a nurse and she will continue to work and help pay the bills. As long as she can stay healthy amongst all the sick.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
It's going to be tough with no paycheck. Especially if it goes more than 3 weeks.... My wife is a nurse and she will continue to work and help pay the bills. As long as she can stay healthy amongst all the sick.
That sucks, Schu. I'm hoping you and the better half make it through to the light at the end of this tunnel in good physical and financial health. Let us know if there's anything we can do for support!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page