Impressive act of Stupidity - Yamaha SCR950 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Impressive act of Stupidity

Just got back from a nice 125 mile ride to visit my brother. On the way home I rolled up on a young sport bike rider. We were moving along with traffic at 60 MPH when he turned to me and nodded as if to say "Let's pass these cars" at which point he hopped up from his pegs to his seat and passed 3 cars in a row with the bike stood straight up on its rear wheel.

That pass started at 60 MPH, and there was a strong enough crosswind to make it tough to hold your line. He had to be doing over 100 MPH as he passed the third car and disappeared into the horizon.

I've seen hundreds of videos where people pull those stunts in congested traffic. But this was the first and only time I've witnessed it at speed from the bike right next to me. I would've crashed just trying to go from my pegs to my seat!

It was the most impressive act of stupidity I've ever seen.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Just got back from a nice 125 mile ride to visit my brother. On the way home I rolled up on a young sport bike rider. We were moving along with traffic at 60 MPH when he turned to me and nodded as if to say "Let's pass these cars" at which point he hopped up from his pegs to his seat and passed 3 cars in a row with the bike stood straight up on its rear wheel.

That pass started at 60 MPH, and there was a strong enough crosswind to make it tough to hold your line. He had to be doing over 100 MPH as he passed the third car and disappeared into the horizon.

I've seen hundreds of videos where people pull those stunts in congested traffic. But this was the first and only time I've witnessed it at speed from the bike right next to me. I would've crashed just trying to go from my pegs to my seat!

It was the most impressive act of stupidity I've ever seen.
Bit of a nob......but very cool.
Did he have a camera on? Get scouring YouTube - you might be on there!!
Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
Bit of a nob......but very cool.
Did he have a camera on? Get scouring YouTube - you might be on there!!
Ben
He wasn't wearing a camera, or any of the gear that most sport bike riders wear. Just casual shoes, blue jeans, baggy t-shirt blown upwards to his arm pits, and a full face helmet.

I honestly hope he has a "really close call" (near miss) one day. It may ultimately save his life.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
There are old pilots and bold pilots, but very few old, bold pilots.
I'm with you, Schu. Hope he doesn't learn a vital lesson the (too) hard way.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

NOPE.

Just from you describing this nonsense I've got that heeby jeeby feeling. You said you've seen this stuff in hundreds of videos, I can't even watch those!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 AM

Garage
Yeah, WOW! I have watched my share of YouTube videos of guys doing crazy stuff on their bikes in heavy traffic, but nothing prepares you when it happens right next to you. Case in point....
I invited a 20 year old coworker to join us for a leisurely ride one Saturday morning ( I am 40 years old at this point). All went well with the first leg of the journey. Rode for a while, stopped to get coffee and donuts, rode some more. I'm taking in the scenery, when all of a sudden, WHOOSH!!!, the kid passes me in a wheelie doing 80+mph!!! To make matters worse, it's on a double yellow line and we're just starting the twisty part of the road. He continues to pass the rider ahead of me while still in the same wheelie! My palms are sweating just typing this. Needless to say, we never rode with the kid again. Jevers

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:46 AM

An act of stupidity happened to a guy that lives in my hometown. He put his bike in the back wheel and hit 98mph giving the middle finger to the speed camera van... needless to say the police eventually caught up with him, took him to court and he had to pay a bloody good lawyer to stop him from being banned due to him needing to drive as he and my friend are in business together. From what I remember, the lawyer cost somewhere in the region of £3000, he got a sh*t load of points on his license and was fined just short of £2000. But expensive for a photo on the back wheel! 😁 If he wanted to do it cheaper, they run a wheelie competition not to far from me at Elvington near York in the UK, where they hit speeds of 213mph+ on the back wheel...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM

I was riding a month ago on the weekend when a couple large cruisers approached from behind and were passing before I knew it towards oncoming traffic.

I watched and nearly shat my pants as they rode the yellow lines between both lanes at 70mph and passed at least 3 cars missing the oncoming ones by just a foot or two.

I'm all for gunning it on a straight away and beating the traffic when I can, but these riders gave me a whole new perspective on "owning your lane."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Garage
Just yesterday, Genny and I were less than a mile from a three-lane passing section (two in our favor) of a rural highway when a pair of bikes passed us on a blind hill double yellow (literally riding the lines).
Both Harleys were going a good 15-20 over the posted limit. One was a solo rider and the other had a female companion on the back and they were running along like common sense and safety didn't apply to them.
We watched as they passed a pickup in a similar manner and another in the far distance. Thing was, had they gotten our attention with a headlight flash, etc first, we'd have moved our bikes safely over and let them go by.
I don't care whose colors you're wearing, you'll look just as dead in a ditch or plastered on the front of an oncoming car when the law of averages kicks in.

Map search screen grab:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	15966  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 PM

About 5 years ago I happened to see on a couple different occasions... Groups of 3 to 4 ninja style bikes passed me at 100 miles on hour on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. Anyone who knows it knows its full of traffic. Even when its moving 65 its always packed. The best was a guy with his lady on the back..;. Her purse flying behind and she was holding onto the guy for dear life.... No pinion no arm rests nothing.. 100 MPH!!!
Talk about CRazy... Thats it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page