Yamaha SCR950 vs Triumph Street Scrambler - Page 2 - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath View Post
My SCRTloB has anything but vague steering.
It has cruiser steering. LOL. Very very reminiscent of my Vulcan 750
Right. That's what I said. Vague steering. My 1980 CX500 has quicker, more precise steering. My TW200 had more precise steering, and it's on giant balloon tires. Raising the rear of the SCR950 makes the steering quicker, so there is an easy fix. There's just too much trail in a stock bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath View Post
The trail wings are a grinding disaster of a cruiser tar on the street and a pathetic excuse on the dirt.
Hrm, I don't have issue with the tires. The front tire howled for the first 2000 miles, but it's quiet now. I've had no problems riding it hard and scraping pegs (and my bike is raised up considerably front and rear, so I have a lot more cornering clearance than a stock bike). I've not taken the SCR950 on real gnarly dirt, but it handles dirt and gravel roads just fine.

In fact, I was just praising the tires yesterday. I pulled off the road onto a little dirt path to check my phone GPS and I misjudged how loose and deep the dirt was. It was basically dirt-colored sand, and I hit it while turning and braking. Front tire moved an inch, maybe two, to the side, but stayed hooked up. If I had street tires, I'd have gone down. No question. I felt it happen, and I've felt that same feeling before. Only this time, it didn't result in the bike on the ground. So, I'm giving that front tire props.

Plus on gravel, I'm going far faster than is probably smart, and giving it power so the rear wheel slides out a bit (just experimenting really, as I'm not a dirt rider). Front always tracks perfectly, and has never washed out yet.

Charles.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off voters.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Hrm, I don't have issue with the tires. The front tire howled for the first 2000 miles, but it's quiet now. I've had no problems riding it hard and scraping pegs (and my bike is raised up considerably front and rear, so I have a lot more cornering clearance than a stock bike). I've not taken the SCR950 on real gnarly dirt, but it handles dirt and gravel roads just fine.

In fact, I was just praising the tires yesterday. I pulled off the road onto a little dirt path to check my phone GPS and I misjudged how loose and deep the dirt was. It was basically dirt-colored sand, and I hit it while turning and braking. Front tire moved an inch, maybe two, to the side, but stayed hooked up. If I had street tires, I'd have gone down. No question. I felt it happen, and I've felt that same feeling before. Only this time, it didn't result in the bike on the ground. So, I'm giving that front tire props.

Plus on gravel, I'm going far faster than is probably smart, and giving it power so the rear wheel slides out a bit (just experimenting really, as I'm not a dirt rider). Front always tracks perfectly, and has never washed out yet.

Charles.
I probably could have gotten 13-15k miles out of the trailwings and for that I have to say they weren't terrible. I felt very confident pushing through heavy rains in the city and they did a bit quieter after a good amount of miles were put on them. I understand that under 1000 miles they are going to be loud af and leave a bit to be desired.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page