FortNine reviews the SCR950 - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
FortNine reviews the SCR950

Hits on a lot of the reasons I went SCR over the competition.

Charles.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off voters.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Not gonna lie, this and the "Warriors" video they did for the new Honda Rebel had me on the fence between which I was going to get, but ultimately went with the SCR for it's larger engine and throwback style. Fortnine really does some great videos on bikes and gear making everything look cool.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitsemo View Post
Not gonna lie, this and the "Warriors" video they did for the new Honda Rebel had me on the fence between which I was going to get, but ultimately went with the SCR for it's larger engine and throwback style. Fortnine really does some great videos on bikes and gear making everything look cool.
Their Honda Rebel video is good. The Harley Low Rider one is too. Good production values.
Ben

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's strange, I was on the fence between the SCR950 and the Rebel 500 as well. The SCR950 was a better starting place for what I wanted -- I was going to put a cafe style flat seat on the Rebel... and when the price came down to cost the same as the Rebel 500, well then really it was a no-brainer. And I'm really happy with my decision

Charles.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off voters.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
It's strange, I was on the fence between the SCR950 and the Rebel 500 as well. The SCR950 was a better starting place for what I wanted -- I was going to put a cafe style flat seat on the Rebel... and when the price came down to cost the same as the Rebel 500, well then really it was a no-brainer. And I'm really happy with my decision

Charles.
Yeah, the fact that there was already so many after market parts available for the Rebel made it almost too tempting. It's apparently very popular in parts of Asia.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the fact that there was already so many after market parts available for the Rebel made it almost too tempting. It's apparently very popular in parts of Asia.
I was speaking to a guy who was on his daughters last week. Theyíre very disappointed with the build quality, and it sounds like heís constantly on at his dealer to get bits repaired/replaced.
Ben
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
I was speaking to a guy who was on his daughters last week. Theyíre very disappointed with the build quality, and it sounds like heís constantly on at his dealer to get bits repaired/replaced.
Ben
That would be an absolute nightmare for myself. Being a first timer I needed something that can take a bit of abuse.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Ben
I too, was on the fence with the SCR950 and new Rebel 500, and what solidified my decision was reading/hearing that the Rebel line's clutch tends to slip periodically and finding Neutral is a friggin' nightmare. I'm a Yami fan for life now! haha

Get some leather for your SCR. Free shipping!
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags
Or get shorty on the left or right
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered
How about a forkbag?
Know someone with a Yamaha Bolt? Spread the word about my new bag!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That would be an absolute nightmare for myself. Being a first timer I needed something that can take a bit of abuse.
Whilst the SCR is no doubt better quality than the Rebel (which is clearly built down to a price), bits of the SCR still concern me a little. The shots below were taken after WASHING the bike. Thatís right....with soap and water. And dried with a bike dryer. This is a 1700 mile bike, that has only seen rain on the test ride, and was laid up all winter. The emissions canister underneath has gone distinctly white too. Just keep an eye on it is all Iím saying. I notice that guy from the U.K. who reckoned he was getting one to instruct on hasnít been on the forum since. Wonder if heís come to his senses - I think one of these would disintegrate given the all-weather hammer such use would require.
Ben

Last edited by SCRBen; 02-25-2020 at 09:05 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Whilst the SCR is no doubt better quality than the Rebel (which is clearly built down to a price), bits of the SCR still concern me a little. The shots below were taken after WASHING the bike. Thatís right....with soap and water. And dried with a bike dryer. This is a 1700 mile bike, that has only seen rain on the test ride, and was laid up all winter. The emissions canister underneath has gone distinctly white too. Just keep an eye on it is all Iím saying. I notice that guy from the U.K. who reckoned he was getting one to instruct on hasnít been on the forum since. Wonder if heís come to his senses - I think one of these would disintegrate given the all-weather hammer such use would require.
Ben
WD40 everything before you put it up wet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page