K&N intake - Installation and pictures - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

K&N intake - Installation and pictures

I would consider the K&N air intake & filter a big turd - a big Deuce - a big number 2 - a turd of engineering extraordinaries! Something so simple created with so many variables that it became a nightmare !

Aesthetically pleasing to look at with claims of big HP increases - HOWEVER- not so functional for assembly or future service.

Probably good thing the filter on it will last 20k miles because there is a high likelihood that upon needing service I shall recycle the whole mess with the other aluminum household products and seek a more reasonably engineered solution and/or I shall re engineer this solution so a man with a college education and 40 years of wrenching on motorcycles can assemble it in less than an hour.

There are four posts that bolt to the face plate that stand the beautiful billet anodized aluminum blingy face plate off the base plate. The base plate has internal velocity stacks and the whole base plate deal is bolted to the FI unit on the bike. But not after the swap all the gaskets and mounting hardware off of the factory units .... that’s a whole ‘nother story.
Next align the four little holes on the back of the base plate that you can barely see to the posts inside the air cleaner that you cannot see and ....simply bolt it all together with a tiny little Allen wrench a 1/4 turn at a time... makes so much sense.

The button head 8mm aluminum thread hex bolts that hold the whole K&N sandwich together (face plate / backing plate and Filter) are conveniently mounted on the back side of the base plate assembly so if and when you drop one of these dandy little MoFo’s because the whole assemble isn’t just quite aligned just right or it slipes ever so slightly- the little bolts kamikaze into the depths of the motor nooks and crannies eventually ending up in the skid plate.

From there you must fish the little bolts out of the skid plate much like the mechanical claw vending machines that snatch stuffed animals & awkwardly place them in the chute ....but only after you spending $50 in quarters ... this K&N game of course was charging you precious minutes of your life instead of coins. It would be so much fun on the side of the road too!!

I Honed my string of expletives down to a fine cadence much like Ralphie’s dad in the Xmas story while he was fighting the heater....

Finally It’s together ....we shall see K&N we shall see !!!

Also replaced the O2 sensor that lived on my V&H exhaust with a slinky SS plug. This is recommended by EJK for the tune to run correctly.

It snowed about 3’ during the exciting and fun installation process so I have no test ride data to share.

I am hoping for K&N’s claimed 7 horsepower along with the EJK tuner and V&H slip on performance exhaust .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5FDE2FE5-FFB7-415E-A58A-74F5AC20FAC1_1550945839326.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	14874   Click image for larger version

Name:	7BE4D689-A06A-4965-9EBA-765DB8D6B635_1550945898055.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	14876   Click image for larger version

Name:	3CA8FFC8-602A-4160-BF96-567FE81C4B28_1550946209327.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	14882  
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
I feel your pain, brother! Been there, done swore up and down on more than one project like that! I will give you this, it is a very clean look and almost has an OEM look. Nice job!

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Much appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I feel your pain, brother! Been there, done swore up and down on more than one project like that! I will give you this, it is a very clean look and almost has an OEM look. Nice job!

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighSCR View Post
I would consider the K&N air intake & filter a big turd - a big Deuce - a big number 2 - a turd of engineering extraordinaries! Something so simple created with so many variables that it became a nightmare !

Aesthetically pleasing to look at with claims of big HP increases - HOWEVER- not so functional for assembly or future service.

Probably good thing the filter on it will last 20k miles because there is a high likelihood that upon needing service I shall recycle the whole mess with the other aluminum household products and seek a more reasonably engineered solution and/or I shall re engineer this solution so a man with a college education and 40 years of wrenching on motorcycles can assemble it in less than an hour.

There are four posts that bolt to the face plate that stand the beautiful billet anodized aluminum blingy face plate off the base plate. The base plate has internal velocity stacks and the whole base plate deal is bolted to the FI unit on the bike. But not after the swap all the gaskets and mounting hardware off of the factory units .... that’s a whole ‘nother story.
Next align the four little holes on the back of the base plate that you can barely see to the posts inside the air cleaner that you cannot see and ....simply bolt it all together with a tiny little Allen wrench a 1/4 turn at a time... makes so much sense.

The button head 8mm aluminum thread hex bolts that hold the whole K&N sandwich together (face plate / backing plate and Filter) are conveniently mounted on the back side of the base plate assembly so if and when you drop one of these dandy little MoFo’s because the whole assemble isn’t just quite aligned just right or it slipes ever so slightly- the little bolts kamikaze into the depths of the motor nooks and crannies eventually ending up in the skid plate.

From there you must fish the little bolts out of the skid plate much like the mechanical claw vending machines that snatch stuffed animals & awkwardly place them in the chute ....but only after you spending $50 in quarters ... this K&N game of course was charging you precious minutes of your life instead of coins. It would be so much fun on the side of the road too!!

I Honed my string of expletives down to a fine cadence much like Ralphie’s dad in the Xmas story while he was fighting the heater....

Finally It’s together ....we shall see K&N we shall see !!!

Also replaced the O2 sensor that lived on my V&H exhaust with a slinky SS plug. This is recommended by EJK for the tune to run correctly.

It snowed about 3’ during the exciting and fun installation process so I have no test ride data to share.

I am hoping for K&N’s claimed 7 horsepower along with the EJK tuner and V&H slip on performance exhaust .....
So tell us what you really think. Lol
I don't recall having quite that much trouble, but I swapped the small backside fasteners to hex heads which were much easier to deal with instead of the tiny allen heads. Plus I rerouted my stock vent hose so that it could be connected without cutting and fitting that chunk of garden hose they provided with the kit.

They are quite large compared to some of the other options. I added a red flag to mine. Lol

That ones for you @flatrack
flatrack and jobirobi like this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

Last edited by Schu; 02-28-2019 at 10:50 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
I don't recall having quite that much trouble, but I swapped the small backside fasteners to hex heads which were much easier to deal with instead of the tiny allen heads. Plus I rerouted my stock vent hose so that it could be connected without cutting and fitting that chunk of garden hose they provided with the kit.

They are quite large compared to some of the other options. I added a red flag to mine. Lol

I pinched @Schu ‘s idea re the hex heads, and it does make it a lot easier. Had the filter off this last week to give it a good clean and re-oil before the season commences, with no dramas (which makes a change for me!!)
Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Garage
@SCRBen and myself have obtained OuterWear Prefilters custom fitted for that K&N intake. I provided them with a wood mockup of my intake and they in turn gave us both a prototype prefilter for free. I don't recall the part number for it, but you could probably get one by giving them your K&N part number. I leave my prefilter on almost always. It keeps the bugs out of the filter pleats and doesn't seem to effect the performance which you will see a substantial increase with that intake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4931 2.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	14912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_154453.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	14914  
VaporRyder likes this.

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

Last edited by Schu; 02-28-2019 at 10:50 PM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
@SCRBen and myself have obtained OuterWear Prefilters custom fitted for that K&N intake. I provided them with a wood mockup of my intake and they in turn gave us both a prototype prefilter for free. I don't recall the part number for it, but you could probably get one by giving them your K&N part number. I leave my prefilter on almost always. It keeps the bugs out of the filter pleats and doesn't seem to effect the performance which you will see a substantial increase with that intake.
Apparently, this one of K&Ns own is a perfect fit, despite it not being listed as such - should we ever want or need a replacement.
Ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	75666BEF-51FA-4B6E-B54A-8F3684BDF6E0.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	14916  
Schu and VaporRyder like this.

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I bypassed recirculating oil vapor back into the motor. Plugged the port on the backing plate on the air filter and went to an open atmosphere system with a Uni Filter:

See attached photos -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
Quote:

I pinched @Schu ‘s idea re the hex heads, and it does make it a lot easier. Had the filter off this last week to give it a good clean and re-oil before the season commences, with no dramas (which makes a change for me!!)
Ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B212EBB9-46AB-4EC7-AEB0-B6426374D4B8_1550963406998.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	14918   Click image for larger version

Name:	576B42BC-303C-406B-9D8B-E0D8E6601D68_1550963430091.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	14920   Click image for larger version

Name:	12579021-AF1A-4CA4-AD7B-301CC6D31E92_1550963447184.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	14922   Click image for larger version

Name:	A2167BEA-F2AA-46BE-876E-3767ACA06149_1550963471312.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	14924  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I bypassed recirculating oil vapor back into the motor. Plugged the port on the backing plate on the air filter and went to an open atmosphere system with a Uni Filter:

See attached photos -
Kinda looks like a little wanker hanging there.

Sorry. I couldn't resist after reading @SCRBen 's comment on your other post.

I may follow suit, because I don't like how my rerouted vent hose worked out. It is sort of kinked in one spot.....

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

It might have something to do with the little blue pill I accidentally dropped in the fuel tank- the suspension is noteably stiffer as well 😳

QUOTE=Schu;58032]
Quote:

See attached photos -
Kinda looks like a little wanker hanging there.

Sorry. I couldn't resist after reading @SCRBen 's comment on your other post.

I may follow suit, because I don't like how my rerouted vent hose worked out. It is sort of kinked in one spot.....[/QUOTE]
Schu likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page