Dead Battery - Page 2 - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 12:16 PM

All right fellas. 30k+ miles and the bike has finally failed to start for the first time.

Yesterday I took it to the store and didn't have any trouble but it was the first time I had cranked it up since the weekend so probably spent 3-4 days sitting between 40-70F temps. This morning when pushing the ignition button the bike just makes this "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" sound from the battery area and won't turn the engine over.

Wondering if I should go with the battery tender, replace the battery, replace sparkplug(s?), or all the above.

Any thoughts?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 07:24 PM

That's a bummer. Sadly, it sounds like it's time for a new battery. Most motorcycle batteries only last +/- 2 years so yours had a good run. Time to take the side covers and seat off, move the ECU to the side, and do some extraction.

Though, before you take the battery out it might be worth it to check the terminals to make sure everything's still bolted down tight. I had a problem with my SCR that was due to that in the past, and tightening down the nuts on the battery fixed the problem. Also, if you're over 30k miles it might be time to check/replace your spark plugs if you're still rocking the OEM's, but most likely it's your battery if you can't get the starter moving.

Get some leather for your SCR. Free shipping!
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags
Or get shorty on the left or right
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered
How about a forkbag?
Know someone with a Yamaha Bolt? Spread the word about my new bag!

Last edited by Krixtoph; 01-08-2021 at 07:27 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krixtoph View Post
That's a bummer. Sadly, it sounds like it's time for a new battery. Most motorcycle batteries only last +/- 2 years so yours had a good run. Time to take the side covers and seat off, move the ECU to the side, and do some extraction.

Though, before you take the battery out it might be worth it to check the terminals to make sure everything's still bolted down tight. I had a problem with my SCR that was due to that in the past, and tightening down the nuts on the battery fixed the problem. Also, if you're over 30k miles it might be time to check/replace your spark plugs if you're still rocking the OEM's, but most likely it's your battery if you can't get the starter moving.
Managed to find a spark plug locally but had to order a generic battery off of ebay (~$40). I can't believe the stock battery is going for $150+ but I guess I'll get the chance to review the knock off for others.
Krixtoph likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 02:31 PM

Just an update:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YTZ14S-BS-H...72.m2749.l2649

Received this battery yesterday and tossed it into the bike and it started up right away. Instructions came with the battery to charge it every 6 months but honestly if it even lasts that long I'll say it was worth the $40.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 PM

Awesome! Glad everything worked out for you.

Get some leather for your SCR. Free shipping!
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags
Or get shorty on the left or right
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered
How about a forkbag?
Know someone with a Yamaha Bolt? Spread the word about my new bag!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page