Dead Battery - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Dead Battery

I'm out here in AZ and I was away on a business trip for 5 days, got back and went to fire up the bike and battery is dead. The bike is almost 3 years old, any ideas on how long a battery should last? I'm pretty sure the heat out here didn't help it any either
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Depends on how often you ride, and by extension exercise your battery. Going for periodic rides of about 40-50 miles will recharge the battery enough to keep it alive and ensure the chemical reactions inside keep going. I put about 200 miles on mine every two weeks on average, let it sit for about a week in between due to the weather near Chicago, and it fires up every single time for example. If you only ride once a month then your battery will slowly drain and the chemicals will lose effectiveness. The stock batteries in our bikes are like car batteries: You shouldn't have to replace it for at least 5 years, if at all, so long as you drive/ride often.

As for a solution to your problem, try bringing your battery back to life by plugging it into a tender.

Get some leather for your SCR. Free shipping!
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags
Or get shorty on the left or right
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered
How about a forkbag?
Know someone with a Yamaha Bolt? Spread the word about my new bag!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
My battery has never been replaced, and I'm the only owner my bike's ever had, so I'll assume it's a 2016 vintage. I've taken longer trips than that without using any sort of battery tender, and I've never had a dead battery upon return. Heat can affect AGM battery life (someone correct me if I'm misinformed and the stock battery isn't AGM type), but is the battery really going to get that much hotter while it's parked than when it's burning gasoline? Do you have any electronics installed that might have drained some energy while you were away?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krixtoph View Post
Depends on how often you ride, and by extension exercise your battery. Going for periodic rides of about 40-50 miles will recharge the battery enough to keep it alive and ensure the chemical reactions inside keep going. I put about 200 miles on mine every two weeks on average, let it sit for about a week in between due to the weather near Chicago, and it fires up every single time for example. If you only ride once a month then your battery will slowly drain and the chemicals will lose effectiveness. The stock batteries in our bikes are like car batteries: You shouldn't have to replace it for at least 5 years, if at all, so long as you drive/ride often.

I put 100 miles a day on the machine 5 days a week
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
My battery has never been replaced, and I'm the only owner my bike's ever had, so I'll assume it's a 2016 vintage. I've taken longer trips than that without using any sort of battery tender, and I've never had a dead battery upon return. Heat can affect AGM battery life (someone correct me if I'm misinformed and the stock battery isn't AGM type), but is the battery really going to get that much hotter while it's parked than when it's burning gasoline? Do you have any electronics installed that might have drained some energy while you were away?
Nope, bike is equipped as from the factory
I have deleted the front turn signals and have not replaced them as of yet. Looking to put bar ends on. That might leave a circuit open, not sure.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
Genny's V-Star 950 (same engine/battery as SCR) finally needed a battery after 5 years of hot Georgia summers and living in the sun under a cover in the driveway.
It was ridden maybe 3-4 times a month on average and was on a battery tender no more than 2-3 times ever.
My only guess how it lasted so long was the AGM battery was properly charged while in storage before the bike was sold (leftover 2012 in late 2013)
and brought up to full charge slowly the day of sale. Sitting right next to it is my 2012 Super Tenere. It's eaten three batteries so far. =(
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 02:14 PM

Question on battery tender:

Currently, there's one available in Costco for $45 bucks.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1385392.html

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer
12V or 6V Switchable Battery Charger

Can I charge 2017 scr950 stock oem battery with this unit?
If so, what should be the voltage settings. 6v or 12v?

Thanks,
RK.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman-Kathpalia View Post
Question on battery tender:

Currently, there's one available in Costco for $45 bucks.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1385392.html

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer
12V or 6V Switchable Battery Charger

Can I charge 2017 scr950 stock oem battery with this unit?
If so, what should be the voltage settings. 6v or 12v?

Thanks,
RK.
Yes you can. Proper setting is 12v. And if it has selectable battery type then you want AGM/flooded.
If you are simply looking to maintain a proper charge, then you can save a little money and go with a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.
I own 6 or 8 of these units and they are perfect for keeping the battery up to snuff between uses. However, they are not intended to charge a dead battery. In that situation you are better off with your selection.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 06:28 PM

Thanks Schu for the confirmation.
Good to know this tender can resurrect the battery if need be.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page