Ecu - Yamaha SCR950 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Ecu

I'm doing some research on the ECU. I need to do something about the jerky throttle. And living up in Scandinavia, its hard to get parts, so I need to be absolutely sure before I order something from far away.

the best thing would have been to do Ivan´s reflash, but I contacted his european partners and they could not help me.
That didn't make sense to me since Ivans page says they do a reflash of the SCR. So I went down the part number rabbit hole.
I found 2 part number on the ECU unit

1TP-8591A-00-00
BS5-8591A-00

And a significant price difference. So I suspect the BS5-8591A-00 is with ABS. Can someone confirm this?

so i boils down to this.
Has anyone of you done a Reflash? Or is the ECU unit itself different in europe and the US?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 AM

Ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRnorway View Post
I'm doing some research on the ECU. I need to do something about the jerky throttle. And living up in Scandinavia, its hard to get parts, so I need to be absolutely sure before I order something from far away.

the best thing would have been to do Ivan´s reflash, but I contacted his european partners and they could not help me.
That didn't make sense to me since Ivans page says they do a reflash of the SCR. So I went down the part number rabbit hole.

1TP-8591A-00-00
BS5-8591A-00

And a significant price difference. So I suspect the BS5-8591A-00 is with ABS. Can someone confirm this?

so i boils down to this.
Has anyone of you done a Reflash? Or is the ECU unit itself different in europe and the US?
US ecu https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/...9/electrical-1
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:

1TP-8591A-00-00
BS5-8591A-00

so i boils down to this.
6 posts in 2-and-a-half-years.....has the cold up there frozen your connection??!

At least your post proves they haven’t fixed the issues, and just not told me!!

Yes, the ECUs are different, not only due to ABS, but also due to the immobiliser I believe......can any US owners on here confirm you also have a red ‘master’ key?

And yes - the reflash is also for the SCR. I have it, and I’m in the UK. The reason Spiros at Samios Motorsport in Greece said “no” to you is probably me!! I’ve hounded them since having my ECU flashed (to no avail). This has all been detailed elsewhere, but it appears that there have been minor changes to European 2017-on Bolt and SCR ECUs that are causing the engine check light to illuminate when flashed (this is not an issue for owners in the US). No one knows why, and Spiros has told me repeatedly that he can’t get hold of a bike to try and remedy it (obviously, Ivan can’t get hold of one.....). It’s not affecting the running of the bike, but I used to e-mail them monthly anyway, to remind them it still needed fixing, but even I’ve given up now (and I’m pretty persistent.....). I don’t even notice the engine check light any more, but that’ll probably be why he’s told you to bugger off!!

Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.

Last edited by SCRBen; 06-24-2020 at 11:11 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
can any US owners on here confirm you also have a red ‘master’ key?
Wha? Do you mean a key for an ECU? Because I have no such item.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
Ha - that’ll be “no” then!!

The red master key is coded to the other keys, the ECU, and the immobiliser (I believe). If you want to get a new key cut, you have to take the red key to a Yamaha dealer, so he can ‘code’ the new replacement key from your master key accordingly. If you just take your key to any old locksmith to get one cut, it won’t start the bike, as it won’t be able to ‘talk’ to it......

@jobirobi - that’s why I couldn’t take you up on your offer of your original ECU. As you know, you can swap ECUs from like-for-like bikes in the US. We can’t because of this ‘security key’ issue.......any other ECU will have a different ‘code’ in it (or none, like yours!) so can’t speak to the rest of the system, and won’t work (which is why you often see ECUs sold on eBay, from broken bikes, with the entire lock set - see second picture).

I believe most Euro bikes have this set up. I know Australia does too (from talking to an Aussie owner about the same thing on the Bolt forum).

Also note the ‘Samios Motorsport’ key ring on my keys - sent when my reflashed ECU was returned to me, and the reason for this whole thread.....)
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA46778E-F74F-4265-AC19-F232CE7A395F.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	17344   Click image for larger version

Name:	725DA5C1-99E6-426B-AE7A-7C4D3BD59E75.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	17346  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
@jobirobi It sounds like we don't want the dreaded Red Key.
Ours bikes might start drifting into the left lane.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Ours bikes might start drifting into the left lane.
Yeah, and just imagine if the left lane was turfed too.....we’d never get you and your 2-stroke out of it!!

Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA67B7E9-E0D4-41EE-AB0D-B335682F73F7.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	17348  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRBen View Post
6 posts in 2-and-a-half-years.....has the cold up there frozen your connection??!

At least your post proves they haven’t fixed the issues, and just not told me!!

Yes, the ECUs are different, not only due to ABS, but also due to the immobiliser I believe......can any US owners on here confirm you also have a red ‘master’ key?

And yes - the reflash is also for the SCR. I have it, and I’m in the UK. The reason Spiros at Samios Motorsport in Greece said “no” to you is probably me!! I’ve hounded them since having my ECU flashed (to no avail). This has all been detailed elsewhere, but it appears that there have been minor changes to European 2017-on Bolt and SCR ECUs that are causing the engine check light to illuminate when flashed (this is not an issue for owners in the US). No one knows why, and Spiros has told me repeatedly that he can’t get hold of a bike to try and remedy it (obviously, Ivan can’t get hold of one.....). It’s not affecting the running of the bike, but I used to e-mail them monthly anyway, to remind them it still needed fixing, but even I’ve given up now (and I’m pretty persistent.....). I don’t even notice the engine check light any more, but that’ll probably be why he’s told you to bugger off!!

Ben

Thank you for this.
BUT. My engine warning light also illuminate and no one knows why. I haven't done anything other that changing the turn signals to LED. Thats when it came on. There isn't any error codes in the system at all. And my dealer couldn't figure it out either.

How is the reflash working for you? any trouble?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

"Yes, the ECUs are different, not only due to ABS, but also due to the immobiliser I believe......can any US owners on here confirm you also have a red ‘master’ key?"

So that is why there is a red blinking light in the dash when its parked Im guessing. Do US models have this?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this.
BUT. My engine warning light also illuminate and no one knows why. I haven't done anything other that changing the turn signals to LED. Thats when it came on. There isn't any error codes in the system at all. And my dealer couldn't figure it out either.

How is the reflash working for you? any trouble?
Ha - you need to speak to my mate @franksy (currently incommunicado, as he can’t reset his password!! )

He’s had the same issue - just changed his exhaust, but nothing else - and similarly his check engine light is now illuminated, but with no codes showing!!

When I’ve spoken to Ivan and Spiros re the flash, they are 99% certain there has been a slight change with the euro bikes’ on-board diagnostics, now picking up that ‘something’ is different (ie the reflash), but not enough to throw a code, nor stop running (and only illuminate the light). The flash is the first change I made to the bike.

I’ve also discussed this on the Bolt forum, as there was also a thread going re check lights illuminating (no reflash) but with no codes shown. There’s a bit of a guru on there (Lunkhead) who reckons it’s to do with items being changed which are earthed, or grounded, and the items that have been exchanged are not:

https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/techn...-but-no-codes/

I think he might be on to something. Similarly, I wonder, if not once earthed, your indicators have a slightly different power draw, or resistance, and the ECU is picking that up, and illuminating the light - guess it depends what changes Yamaha made to the OBD (as your exchanged items are LED, I guess that’s certainly possible.....lower draw, aren’t they?)

Apart from the light, the reflash is sound. Ask any of the guys on here (esp the stubborn ones who held out - I’m looking at Jevers.....) - the difference is night and day. Anyone who says it isn’t must ride whilst sound asleep......

Quote:
"Yes, the ECUs are different, not only due to ABS, but also due to the immobiliser I believe......can any US owners on here confirm you also have a red ‘master’ key?"

So that is why there is a red blinking light in the dash when its parked Im guessing. Do US models have this?
The flashing light indicates the immobiliser is active, yes; and no, I don’t think the guys in the US have it.

Would you believe some of those heathens actually think that’s better......?!

Ben

Last edited by SCRBen; 06-26-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page