Huge Turning Radius - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By flatrack
  • 1 Post By SCRBen
  • 1 Post By Schu
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,076
Garage
Huge Turning Radius

First new thread here.....
Have any of you made modifications to the hard stop on your triple tree to tighten up the turning radius? I just moved from an XV1100 to this SCR950 and I can't believe how much larger the turn radius is. It seems like a little material removed from the contact face of the hard stop would be a simple cure. The turn signals appear to be the limiting factor making sure they don't contact the sides of the fuel tank.
Any thoughts?

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
Schu is offline  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Member
 
ilchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 87
I'd luv to be able to turn tighter........My biggest issue is the seat then maybe the turning issue.

2017 SCR red fastest....... 2nd one!
15 KLR 650
14 Yamaha 125 Zuma
06 Honda 80 Elite
75 Suzuki TS 185
75 Suzuki TS75 Colt
15 HD Dyna Wide Glide Radioactive Green
16 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS
Former B-King,Concours,Cavalcade,BMW 1200GS,Harleys, S83,FZ09,ST1300 & many more
ilchee is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Columbus. GA
Posts: 884
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilchee View Post
I'd luv to be able to turn tighter........My biggest issue is the seat then maybe the turning issue.
Write Seat Concepts. All we need is 12-15 interested folks to sweet talk them into making us a seat kit. =)
eddie is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 155
I agree on the large turning radius. However, I also find the SCR top heavy and easy to tip over so more turn angle would make this worse.
Rokrover is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
flatrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrover View Post
I agree on the large turning radius. However, I also find the SCR top heavy and easy to tip over so more turn angle would make this worse.
You find the SCR950 top heavy?? Its 500+ pounds, it's just heavy...kinda.
.
.
Sammy likes this.
flatrack is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
First new thread here.....
Have any of you made modifications to the hard stop on your triple tree to tighten up the turning radius? I just moved from an XV1100 to this SCR950 and I can't believe how much larger the turn radius is. It seems like a little material removed from the contact face of the hard stop would be a simple cure. The turn signals appear to be the limiting factor making sure they don't contact the sides of the fuel tank.
Any thoughts?
Ok. So almost 3 years later and I finally got out the Dremel and ground off at least and 1/8" [3mm] of material from each side of the steering stopper. Still have about 1/2" [12mm] clearance between the triple clamps and the gas tank. Probably could've gone a little more. Touched up the grind marks with black paint and will see if it is a noticeable improvement tomorrow when I try and fit the bike behind my car in the garage. The steering radius was so wide I can barely get it in and out of its parking spot without rolling it into my work bench on the opposite side of the garage. It's ridiculous how large the turning radius is on the SCR. It's not like my other bikes where I can grab the @ss end and drag them around.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
Schu is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
jevers478@gmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Savage,MN
Posts: 603
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Ok. So almost 3 years later and I finally got out the Dremel and ground off at least and 1/8" [3mm] of material from each side of the steering stopper. Still have about 1/2" [12mm] clearance between the triple clamps and the gas tank. Probably could've gone a little more. Touched up the grind marks with black paint and will see if it is a noticeable improvement tomorrow when I try and fit the bike behind my car in the garage. The steering radius was so wide I can barely get it in and out of its parking spot without rolling it into my work bench on the opposite side of the garage. It's ridiculous how large the turning radius is on the SCR. It's not like my other bikes where I can grab the @ss end and drag them around.
I'm almost afraid to post anything on here since I promised pictures of the new pipe and intake.... My phone took a crap, my Windows Outlook something or other subscription ran out, blah, blah, blah. One of these days.... I know what you mean about the ol Mack semi truck turning radius! Everytime I turn around on a two lane road, I look and feel like a beginner! Yeah, let us know how much of an improvement it makes. Happy 4th of July everyone! Jevers

[email protected] is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I know what you mean about the ol Mack semi truck turning radius! Everytime I turn around on a two lane road, I look and feel like a beginner! Yeah, let us know how much of an improvement it makes. Happy 4th of July everyone! Jevers
The simple change was worth the 30 minutes I spent doing it. I didn't measure out any before & after turn arounds like Ben probably would have, but it is a very noticeable improvement.

I simply removed the two bolts that mount the headlight to the lower triple clamp and rubber banded the headlight off to the side. I used my Dremel with a 90 dregree head on it and came in from where the headlight would normally be. I used a basic cylindrical shaped grinding stone at about half speed and took my time doing it. I wrapped a short length of cotton clothes line rope around the lower steering bearing and stuffed it in with a small screw driver to keep the grinding debris from getting into the bearing. Cleaned it all up and touched up the paint.

The only thing I f'd up was a small scratch on the headlight bucket. I bumped it with the Dremel bit while it was still spinning. Luckily the tiny scratch is in an area you don't see when the bucket is installed. It touched up the scratch with a black sharpie.

I only took one photo but you can see the spot I ground away if you zoom in under the steering lock. Typical on both sides of the stopper. Not even noticeable once I touched up the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_162836.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	17354  

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

Last edited by Schu; 07-04-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Schu is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
SCRBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Yorks, UK
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
The simple change was worth the 30 minutes I spent doing it. I didn't measure out any before & after turn arounds like Ben probably would have, but it is a very noticeable improvement.
Hey! Do it properly, or don’t do it.....

Good work.

Ben
scrpeter likes this.

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.
SCRBen is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,076
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
The simple change was worth the 30 minutes I spent doing it. I didn't measure out any before & after turn arounds like Ben probably would have, but it is a very noticeable improvement.
UPDATE:
This change was one of the best simple mod's I've done on this bike. It is sooo much easier to maneuver in and out of my garage and around the cars in the driveway. Turnarounds while out on a ride are normal now without going from gravel shoulder to gravel shoulder. The only ill effect I've noticed is that the steering lock won't engage unless I position the bars at the point where they originally stopped before I ground down the stop face. Not a big deal. Used to have to wiggle the bars to get it to lock anyhow, so now you just move them back off the stopper until the key locks.
scrpeter likes this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
Schu is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome