Wanting a brighter Head Light - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Wanting a brighter Head Light

Hey guys, I'm looking for a brighter headlamp (bulb) I ride in the AZ desert and it gets pretty dark out here. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM

Here's an idea from a friend from my 'Nam days. He was stationed in Minot N.D. Seems as though some of the guys stationed at the A.F, base used to take an aircraft landing light and substitute it for one of the hi-beams on their cars. You can get them on eBay, but the lowest voltage ones are 13v. Not sure if the SCR charging system could manage it. Also, it's just one intensity, no hi/low beam. I'm sure it could illuminate the desert quite nicely
eddie likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
@eddie put some auxiliary lights on his SCR that I think looked pretty good. https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/35...html#post28602

And once upon a time, @ChopperCharles embarked on a mission to max out what light could possibly come from the stock headlight bowl. https://www.scr950forum.com/forum/13...-want-see.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 AM

Garage
The KCs were a selling point on the SCR.
I have a set on the Super Tenere, too and they've done really well.
Three years old and day 1 bright. Zero issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2617.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	16062   Click image for larger version

Name:	KC lights only. Mains off.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	16064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	16066  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a brighter headlamp (bulb) I ride in the AZ desert and it gets pretty dark out here. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
You might try just aiming the headlight higher. That's what I did and it made a huge difference.
Sammy likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
I’ve tried high output 90 watt halogens as well as expensive LED bulbs (evitek f2, evitek e1, advmonster r2, and advmonster native). They all suck in the scr. The reflector in the scr950 is absolutely terrible. For one of my other bikes I’ve put on a 5 3/4 daymaker clone made by Sunpie. Holy ****, LED projectors work so much better than a LED h4 in a reflector housing - even in a good reflector housing. I’ve been running led h4s in bikes with good reflectors and have been happy, but that $30 led projector (and $25 headlight bucket) was a game changer. I have three h4 leds on my scr950, and the single daymaker clone is a far better pattern and far brighter.

I guess it makes sense, because it has a heat sink 10 times as big and much larger CREE LEDs.

Anyhow, up until now, the only LED projector solution for a stock headlight bucket was the Denali conversion kit... for $430. For that cost, it’s a far better option to buy a headlight bucket and the daymaker clone and deal with having a non-stock bucket attached with ears. I hadn’t done that yet because side mount headlights won’t work with OEM windshields or flyscreens.

But recently that’s all changed. This has come on the market. It’s the Denali style setup, but from China and at a reasonable price:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33043586633.html

The bulb is different than the Denali, but the bracket looks the same. It mounts in place of the oem reflector, and becomes push-to-aim instead of using the screws. Even with paying $20 for the expideted DHL shipping, it’s less than a quarter the price of the Denali.

I just ordered one and will post back when I install it!

Charles.
jobirobi and Sammy like this.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they just piss off voters.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Did you ever get your new headlight installed?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfad View Post
Did you ever get your new headlight installed?
I replaced my bulb with this as I sometimes leave work at 1030pm. On the back roads it's certainly lights up the road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191006_111127_1570356893336.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	16792  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Iíve tried high output 90 watt halogens as well as expensive LED bulbs (evitek f2, evitek e1, advmonster r2, and advmonster native). They all suck in the scr. The reflector in the scr950 is absolutely terrible. For one of my other bikes Iíve put on a 5 3/4 daymaker clone made by Sunpie. Holy ****, LED projectors work so much better than a LED h4 in a reflector housing - even in a good reflector housing. Iíve been running led h4s in bikes with good reflectors and have been happy, but that $30 led projector (and $25 headlight bucket) was a game changer. I have three h4 leds on my scr950, and the single daymaker clone is a far better pattern and far brighter.

I guess it makes sense, because it has a heat sink 10 times as big and much larger CREE LEDs.

Anyhow, up until now, the only LED projector solution for a stock headlight bucket was the Denali conversion kit... for $430. For that cost, itís a far better option to buy a headlight bucket and the daymaker clone and deal with having a non-stock bucket attached with ears. I hadnít done that yet because side mount headlights wonít work with OEM windshields or flyscreens.

But recently thatís all changed. This has come on the market. Itís the Denali style setup, but from China and at a reasonable price:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33043586633.html

The bulb is different than the Denali, but the bracket looks the same. It mounts in place of the oem reflector, and becomes push-to-aim instead of using the screws. Even with paying $20 for the expideted DHL shipping, itís less than a quarter the price of the Denali.

I just ordered one and will post back when I install it!

Charles.

Charles,

Did you ever receive and install the headlight? Looking for feedback on quality of product, ease of installation and end result.

Thanks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Yes, I'm interested too Charles! Update please!

HWYSTR455 on PY Forums

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 474 blown EFI pro tour car (next on list)
1972 442 W-30 Tribute
442 Build Thread:
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...e-project.html
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page