Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Exhaust Options

67K views 165 replies 37 participants last post by  Gr8fulDean 
#1 ·
Looks like most of the "Bolt" aftermarket exhausts will work on the SCR. Having listened to many online, I think the Cobra 4" slip-on sounds the best to me.

#20 ·
Here it is!

https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf8=✓&query=Akrapovic+Slip-On+Exhaust+for+2017+scr950

Sounds cool too. But its around $640.00.
If you can afford it. It would be cool. They say its right around 10 pounds, Half the weight of the stock Muffler. Its adds a little horse power and torque... And being heard is important.... but if you dont wear ear plugs... you will screw your hearing... Unfortunately I found out riding real loud bike for a couple years with no plugs......
Ehhh whatd ya say??? Speak up! LOL....
But true enough.

#13 ·
I've got a habit of roaming around Revzilla even if I don't really need anything in particular and they had the Akrapovic exhaust for the scr950 in stock. I say 'had' because there was a 10% off MRSP sale for it and now it's sold out. Didn't know Akra exhausts ever went on sale, ever.

#19 ·
Hey guys, I had a question as far as performance goes. I see a lot of slip ons boasting increased HP and torque, I really like how the dime city shorty muffler looked on one of our member's bikes though. Do the slip ons give better performance than just buying a replacement muffler? I'd love to get the 20lb exhaust out of the way and a little heartier sound but I don't want to sacrifice performance either. Thanks!

#21 ·
Just installed a Danmoto Highwayman slip on. It looks good, and fits well (instructions were all wrong) and they included some unusable parts.

But it is painfully loud. It's almost embarrassingly loud on the road. I've contacted Danmoto asking for a baffle to try and quiet it a touch, otherwise I'll upgrade to a Akropovic or something else.

#23 ·
Loud Pipes

I felt the same way after installing the V&H Competition pipe. In the garage I was like, Wow this is loud!. After riding with it for a while I found I could get around quite stealthily, especially in the city. As long as the RPMs are kept low it's really not all that loud. The SCR is ALL low end torque so it's easy to get around without really raising an eyebrow. BUT, when you do want to wring it out and roar thru the gears it sounds pretty good. At highway speed I like to wear earplugs anyway - this is a relatively new thing and really all about trying to preserve whats left of my hearing lol. It's the wind noise that bothers me the most!

#29 ·
Firebrand Bolt Grand Prix Pipe for SCR

I saw and heard a Bolt with the Vance & Hines pipe on it but the cost is pretty high so I put a Firebrand Grand Prix pipe on my bike. Granted I had to go to ebay to purchase a stock bolt exhaust bracket (purchased for about $40) in order to mount this pipe but it is very throaty and is a huge improvement in performance over stock. The O2 sensor bolted right in and while I was at it I painted all of the stock heat shields flat black and replaced the mounting hardware with black cap head bolts and stainless steel washers. People I ride with comment on the tone and I love the look. Here's their site and I purchased the pipe at Denniskirk..com for $315.00

Firebrand Grand Prix Slip-On for Yamaha Bolt | FireBrand Design, LLC

Attachments

#56 ·
I saw and heard a Bolt with the Vance & Hines pipe on it but the cost is pretty high so I put a Firebrand Grand Prix pipe on my bike. Granted I had to go to ebay to purchase a stock bolt exhaust bracket (purchased for about $40) in order to mount this pipe but it is very throaty and is a huge improvement in performance over stock. The O2 sensor bolted right in and while I was at it I painted all of the stock heat shields flat black and replaced the mounting hardware with black cap head bolts and stainless steel washers. People I ride with comment on the tone and I love the look. Here's their site and I purchased the pipe at Denniskirk..com for $315.00
Firebrand Grand Prix Slip-On for Yamaha Bolt | FireBrand Design, LLC
Curious about the bracket. Looking up the bracket for the Bolt and the SCR, they look identical. Probably some difference, but as far as I could see on their parts diagrams the difference was the prefix to the part number was different (1TP for the Bolt and BL3 for the SCR) and the price ($84.87 for the Bolt and $107.12 for the SCR). Anyone have thoughts on this?

#31 ·
My 2017 scr950 build

I have installed a K & N Air Intake PN:RK-3940 Looks & Sounds great with an ADDED 7.5 HP over STOCK
Next I am putting Two Brothers Racing COMP-S 2 into 1 Looks Real Nice and the SOUND is so AWSOME !
Now can't decide weather to go DynoJet Commander 5
OR EJK EFI which was recommended by Two Brothers Racing.
Anyone use the EJK YET ???

#32 ·
I have installed a K & N Air Intake PN:RK-3940 Looks & Sounds great
I installed my K&N intake but have yet to ride or even start my bike with it on. So I know they look great, but you say they sound great. I didn't expect it to sound much different. But I suppose the open element would have that effect. Probably the same effect as when I was 16 years old and got in trouble for flipping the air cleaner lid over on my dad's 74 Plymouth Fury. I thought that 360CID V8 sounded awesome when you mashed your foot to the floor. He thought otherwise. I miss you Dad...

Reactions: Burke
#33 ·
I'm currently working on a stainless midpipe that would allow us to run any 1.75" OD muffler on the SCR, and still have a nice angled exhaust. Got a prototype in the works, and once it's done and tested, I'll be making a run of 20 of these to sell. Not sure of the price yet, but I'd like an idea of what people might want as far as features and finish are concerned.

• Mirror polished stainless
  • Brushed look stainless
  • Painted black
  • O2 sensor bung
  • No O2 sensor bung

Thoughts? Is there a market for this? I'm thinking everyone is going to want mirror polished and O2 sensor bung, but I could be wrong.

Charles.

#34 ·
fatter header pipe

So thats a cool idea. When you say midpipe I assume you're talking about the header pipe. Not that I'm interested in buying one, but how much would you charge for one? You see anything from across the border and I always get hammered with duty fees, that and shipping would be redonkulous. So here's the deal: Is there any way to increase the diameter of the header pipe? Like does it have to be whatever it is...an inch and a quarter ?(my bike's not here to measure so I'm guessing)... To my eye it looks too darn skinny, too spindly - I'm talking purely aesthetics here and obviously wouldnt want to compromise performance. It would be nice to see it at around two inches or whatever... a bit fatter. Is that possible? To me, it would then look more better :) More in proportion with the rest of the motor. Maybe it has to be that skinny for back pressure or something?? What do you think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.