No more plastic stinger - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jobirobi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No more plastic stinger

Fiiiinally got around to removing the plastic license plate mount assembly and replacing it with a smaller metal assembly. Product link below. I will probably go back and hack the metal sub-fender so I can tuck the new mount higher up under the fender, but already I'm very happy with the change. The LED built into this thing is about the same brightness as the brighter zones of my headlight! I also added some vinyl washers (actually they're those little bumpers you put on the feet of your sofa or on your cabinet doors, with a hole punched through) to hopefully reduce the amount of vibration transferred to the license plate and save me from needing a second trip to the DMV for a third license plate. The replacement I bought has supports for turn signals if I ever decide I'd like to relocate mine. We'll see. In follow-up posts I will include photos and explain what you need to do to remove the plastic assembly. It's not immediately obvious, to say the least.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...i/272837109587

Last edited by jobirobi; 11-10-2019 at 09:58 PM.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's something to give you an idea of how bright the LED in this thing is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_180038.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	16932  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobirobi View Post
Here's something to give you an idea of how bright the LED in this thing is.
You need to get it tucked in more like that Trumpet next to your bike!!

****, that plate light is bright tho.
Ben

“Do you understand half the **** he says?” “No, but I know what he means”.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As promised, a brief explainer for removing the stinger (pardon the ****tiness of my photos):

Remove the left side cover and the seat. Under the seat, there are four studs that pass through the fender, connecting the subfender to the subframe. Remove the four nuts on those studs (PIC1).

On each side of the tail light assembly, there are two screws. Remove those and the brake light will come loose. (PIC2)

Under the brake light is a rubber... thing. Carefully pull that part out of the way, and you'll expose 3 screws which are the last fasteners still holding the subfender in place. (PIC3)

Once you've got the subfender off, the rest is straightforward. The plastic stinger is attached to a metal bracket, and the bracket is attached to the subfender. I cut the cable going to the license plate lamp and used butt-splices to connect the new LED. That cable routes between the fender and subfender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	16934   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	16936   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	16938  

Last edited by jobirobi; 11-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, poop.

I should've gotten around to tucking that plate bracket in sooner. The dang thing fell off while I was on the highway a few days ago, making a horrible crunching sound. So I had to go get ANOTHER plate from the DMV today. It wasn't apparent until I took a closer look today that it forked up some of the plastic shell that surrounds the battery and the lower part of the under seat cavity. Woe is me. It'll be okay as long as it doesn't rain, but if I hit a puddle right now I could easily splash some sensitive electronics.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that your plate bracket tore a bunch of plastic off with it. Did it get caught on the tire and travel under the fender to do that kind of damage?

Don't worry too much about water getting on the battery. Just about everything electronic and vital in that cavity is covered/insulated, so it'll be fine getting a little wet. Just don't ride your motorcycle through 2-3ft of water.

Get some leather for your SCR. Free shipping!
Set of 2 Pony Express Bags
Or get shorty on the left or right
Need under-seat storage? I've got you covered
How about a forkbag?
Know someone with a Yamaha Bolt? Spread the word about my new bag!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krixtoph View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that your plate bracket tore a bunch of plastic off with it. Did it get caught on the tire and travel under the fender to do that kind of damage?

Don't worry too much about water getting on the battery. Just about everything electronic and vital in that cavity is covered/insulated, so it'll be fine getting a little wet. Just don't ride your motorcycle through 2-3ft of water.
Thanks for the info. I'll get the plastics taken care of anyway because you can currently look under my rear fender and see the headlight cable connector but at least now I won't be totally paranoid in the meantime.

I think what happened is that the new plate assembly broke loose while I was decelerating and had itself a little tour around the rear wheel. It was like hitting a nasty, invisible bump in the road. I was extremely confused until I made it to the shoulder and saw what was missing.
Krixtoph likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page