What to love or hate about the 2017+ Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler? - Page 2 - Yamaha SCR950 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblock View Post
The Tires - they begin to howl at 60 MPH and only get louder the faster you go.
It only gets worse with mileage as the front knobs start to deform and wear from braking forces.
I was SO glad I switched to more street oriented rubber (Michelin Anakee III).
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath View Post
Oh BTW how the bloddy **** do you check the oil in this thing without having a helper ???
They should have a marking on the dipstick where it should be on the kick stand on level ground . grrrr I'll make one I guess.
That mark's accuracy might be in question with as little as ground angle, front fork rotation, etc... Straight up and down per the manual isn't easy, but it is likely more accurate and repeatable.
Things could be worse.
Honda, in it's infinite wisdom, decided we Americans liked to check oil with a dipstick. So, in 1991 (the year I bought my first new motorcycle) introduced the CB750 Nighthawk with a dipstick in the right side engine cover. The domestic CBX750 they borrowed the mill from came with not only a sight glass, it also had a dipstick on the left side because it had a center stand to hold the bike up. One had two choices for measuring the oil level!
On the CB750, they deleted the convenient sight glass, capped off the dipstick hole with a plastic cap marked DON'T OPEN and also made the center stand an option. Checking the oil on my shiny new bike was a real challenge. I had to hold the bike upright from the side opposite from the kick stand with one hand & remove, clean, replace and remove again the dipstick with the other hand. I finally got a center stand before I ended up dropping the thing.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Greetings.
Good things first.
Price!... Its alot of bike for six grand out the door. Its dependable. It looks great. People ask about it comment on its looks.

Now for the not so good on my opinion. I am six 3 and a bit arthritic in the hips. The peg placement for me is too wide number 1 and too far back.
Its very uncomfortable. The foot controls should be moved forward (For me). Its also too heavy and does not corner well. And it seems like it has a wide turning radius?
Its got a lot of power... but then again its doesnt at the same time....
I really think that my old 1977 KZ 750 has more power if it was tuned up and running right.
I come from 5 years riding the 1977 KZ which has a lot of problems..
So I really like how the scr starts right up and runs good (No kick start)
But it could use a center stand and not just a side stand.
The scr is great when Im not in pain from the old hips... and its actually not too bad when my joints loosen up after 5-10 min.
So maybe it has to do more with my broken down body than the design but....
Why put pegs back to enable rider to stand on them like a scrambler when in fact it should not be driven off road????
Makes no dam sense to me.
Il say it for the 10th time.... In the owners manual on 2-2 at the bottom it states
The vehicle is not designed for off road use and should not be driven off road.
The whole concept of making a scrambler that really isnt and designing pegs for off road use when it shouldnt be driven off road is ridiculous... Stupid even. False advertising to boot.
Its not comfortable. Foot pegs too wide. Not a natural position with the legs splayed out.
Its okay but Id rather have my old KZ fixed up and runnning over this.
Gas tank too small and no storage space anywhere

Last edited by Mellowrider; 10-11-2018 at 01:09 PM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowrider View Post
Greetings.
Good things first.
Price!... Its alot of bike for six grand out the door. Its dependable. It looks great. People ask about it comment on its looks.

Now for the not so good on my opinion. I am six 3 and a bit arthritic in the hips. The peg placement for me is too wide number 1 and too far back.
Its very uncomfortable. The foot controls should be moved forward (For me). Its also too heavy and does not corner well. And it seems like it has a wide turning radius?
Its got a lot of power... but then again its doesnt at the same time....
I really think that my old 1977 KZ 750 has more power if it was tuned up and running right.
I come from 5 years riding the 1977 KZ which has a lot of problems..
So I really like how the scr starts right up and runs good (No kick start)
But it could use a center stand and not just a side stand.
The scr is great when Im not in pain from the old hips... and its actually not too bad when my joints loosen up after 5-10 min.
So maybe it has to do more with my broken down body than the design but....
Why put pegs back to enable rider to stand on them like a scrambler when in fact it should not be driven off road????
Makes no dam sense to me.
Il say it for the 10th time.... In the owners manual on 2-2 at the bottom it states
The vehicle is not designed for off road use and should not be driven off road.
The whole concept of making a scrambler that really isnt and designing pegs for off road use when it shouldnt be driven off road is ridiculous... Stupid even. False advertising to boot.
Its not comfortable. Foot pegs too wide. Not a natural position with the legs splayed out.
Its okay but Id rather have my old KZ fixed up and runnning over this.
Gas tank too small and no storage space anywhere
Can't argue any of what you said Mellow. It comes down to one of two reasons that we are drawn to the SCR.
1. You simply cannot pass up the retro style that Mr Yamaha captured for such a reasonable price.
2. You simply cannot find a better, inexpensive starting platform in a new bike to customize and make it your own.

I really enjoy seeing the photos of what so many members are doing with their SCRs.
eddie, Mellowrider, Burke and 1 others like this.

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Well, having knocked it a bit I must say that I do still almost own it and I'm not getting rid of it. I'l ride it
as long as practical and then I will hang onto it.
lol... I've still got my 41 year old KZ. Its a decent bike and if I was younger and not broken down... It would prob be that much better for me to ride. Just those dam pegs!! Someday maybe I can move the controls forward.
I am not.. repeat not sorry I bought it.
It is unique!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM

old age

It might be easier to fix the hips. need to replace ??? Shame. #metoo (knee)
Mellowrider likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke View Post
It might be easier to fix the hips. need to replace ??? Shame. #metoo (knee)
Yea, I dont know Burke. After having health insurance for 32 years, I was laid off 5 years ago and have not had health insurance since. Freelancing since 2013. The scr cost 100.00 a month. Health insurance is well over 400 for the cheapest plan. So, it would probably be easier to just move the pegs forward.
Might needs those hips someday but dont like the whole idea. And cant afford it anyway. Hope the knee dont bug ya too much.
Man, after I turned 50..... The old gray mare just aint what he used to be. lol lol... Thats another reason I bought the SCR. Figured I'd have fun before I got to the point where I wouldnt be able to anymore.
I've really deep down been enjoying the **** out of my SCR.
Have fun while you can. When I was married and raising my 4 kids, I couldnt have a bike.

Last edited by Mellowrider; 10-11-2018 at 11:35 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:05 PM

I dont think its worth tbh..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page