Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Howling sound: Am I the only one?

9K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Arnkatla 
#1 ·
Am I the only owner of the src950 who experience this unpleasantly loud howling sound that appears around 6500 rpm and continues up past 7600 rpm to completely diseappear by 8000 rpm? I believe it is an aerodynamic noise but I have no clue as to what is creating it.

#2 ·
Sweet!
Now I can estimate my upper RPM range by the howling noise....
Obviously you must have upgraded to something with a tachometer.
Yes, mine howls. I assume the root cause is the tires, although the howling sound might be resonating from who knows what/where.
Like all the other quirks of the SCR, I've grown accustomed to it.
So now when it quits howling I'll be worried!

#4 ·
Almost certainly the tires, but if your SCR is getting up to 8000rpm, it’s probably also the engine beginning to explode!! (limiter would long have kicked in by then) :grin2:
Ben

#5 ·
Even with mods and a reflash on the ECU, power peaks and starts to drop off between 5,500-6,000 RPM.
According to my Yamaha dealer, the back cylinder shuts down and the rev limiter should be kicking in at 7,000rpm or so.
There isn't a real advantage to revving out the 950 that high, if it were even possible.

Attachments

#8 ·
Ooops!! What was I thinking of🤪
No tach just mph!! My bad but no apologies for entertaining you;-)
Seriously, just tire design then? Actually I have put 3.5 k miles on the odo and the howling sound has moved up slightly. Has anybody tried different tires?

#25 · (Edited)
UGH I spotted a fella in Columbia, SC, last week who was riding a Honda Ruckus XL with a big fat tar, at night, lights off, wearing all black, no helmet... not for very much longer I imagine. I don't blame the OCC guys, I blame that ridiculous bike from The Dark Knight.
Ha! I received a birthday card the other day that seemed to insinuate I thought I was Batman.....also that I had a problem with reality!

Might be time to start looking for a Ruckus!! :grin2:
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.