Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title, as we approach 2000 miles we can start to form an opinion me thinks,
I'm enjoying my new Yamaha maybe puncture was a blessing in disguise because I can now ride at over 70mph without thinking a truck is trying to overtake me. Take care on roundabouts because everything seems to touchdown and scrape but on open road not a problem when swinging through bends. The air filter does not hit my knee at all but I do have long legs. Constant 50mpg regardless of how you ride. Seat not as bad as some claim but I did own a BMW r9t racer! Uncomfortable, just stop and have a break. Not used my wild ass seat pillow yet but I'm sure it will help on longer trips. Just been out on 90 mile ride and bike is a absolute pleasure on swinging a & b roads at 70-80mph. Yes it's a heavy bike but once on the move it melts away at traffic lights I hardly seem to have to put feet down
All things considered not a bad bike at all considering it was made from another bike. Thank God Ryan @ fort nine pointed me in the right direction. Never listen to anyone that never ridden a bike that they are giving a opinion on, you need a minimum of a few thousand miles before you can form an opinion on a bike.
Seem to have lost my odyoa Yamaha and gave now become Stu which is my name so not a problem. Bank holiday in U.K. and sun is trying to shine so let's go for a ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really like mine too.
I have 1000 miles on it so far.
The seat is better than the seat on my dr650 and my riding buddies 600 sport bikes, its a non issue for me as we stop every hour or so on rides and work is 45 minute from home. I may upgrade it at some point but its not a priority.
The air filter doesnt bother me at all, I read about how bad it was but sat on the scr before buying it and my knee didnt hit it.
The barron raise up kit fixed the scraping parts on corners for me, scraping parts once in a while is not a big deal but also a cheap fix. A heads up on the barron raise up kit tho, the bolt is the wrong size for the shock, I wrapped it with tape to make it a tight fit in the shock bushing. I was going to do a bad review of it on amazon but didnt bother. With a bushing or tape its a winner.
Im getting 60mpg, I ride on back roads 99% of the time between 50-60 mph.
Im liking the passing power at 50mph I can pass slow cars quickly without down shifting.
It also does better than expected on the dirt road going into work, its pretty solid on gravel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for imput great to hear we are both enjoying our misunderstood child!
I wonder if your gallons are different to U.K. ones?
It is difficult for a not well travelled brit to comprehend Canada's vastness, but we know it's a nation that we can, and have needed help from and the good people didn't let us down.
I love my music and the song the wreak of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon lightfoot got it's hook into me.
A country with lakes so vast they can swallow a 30 thousand ton ship and it's crew without trace. Makes loch Ness seem very small but it does have a monster!
Enjoy your SCR and your beautiful country.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I go 250 km on 10.8 liters of gas. I did this twice in a row.
This surprised me, my dr650 wont even make it 250 km with its 12 liter tank.
I did the exhaust mod on an otherwise stock bike, this could help a bit but I think its mostly the riding easy in 5th gear 99% of the time. I live in the middle of nowhere and travel to work in a different middle of nowhere location, there's 2 stop signs on my commute and I roll through em both lol.
Im not very well travelled, I dont leave nova scotia much at all, I was sight seeing in the rockies once about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As per title, as we approach 2000 miles we can start to form an opinion me thinks,
I'm enjoying my new Yamaha maybe puncture was a blessing in disguise because I can now ride at over 70mph without thinking a truck is trying to overtake me. Take care on roundabouts because everything seems to touchdown and scrape but on open road not a problem when swinging through bends. The air filter does not hit my knee at all but I do have long legs. Constant 50mpg regardless of how you ride. Seat not as bad as some claim but I did own a BMW r9t racer! Uncomfortable, just stop and have a break. Not used my wild ass seat pillow yet but I'm sure it will help on longer trips. Just been out on 90 mile ride and bike is a absolute pleasure on swinging a & b roads at 70-80mph. Yes it's a heavy bike but once on the move it melts away at traffic lights I hardly seem to have to put feet down
All things considered not a bad bike at all considering it was made from another bike. Thank God Ryan @ fort nine pointed me in the right direction. Never listen to anyone that never ridden a bike that they are giving a opinion on, you need a minimum of a few thousand miles before you can form an opinion on a bike.
Seem to have lost my odyoa Yamaha and gave now become Stu which is my name so not a problem. Bank holiday in U.K. and sun is trying to shine so let's go for a ride!
Hi
Hi,
Your experience matches mine almost to a 't' - after 5000 miles in my case.
The bike wouldn't be suitable for shorter riders given the airfilter and when 'paddling' but there are plenty of alternatives.
I had my seat re-done in softer foam keeping the original cover and subtly changing its 'crowned' shape and the effect is quite transformatoratory !
No more numb bum now.
Enjoy the weather.
Nev Senior ( UK)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

Hi,
The bike wouldn't be suitable for shorter riders given the airfilter and when 'paddling' but there are plenty of alternatives.
I had my seat re-done in softer foam keeping the original cover and subtly changing its 'crowned' shape and the effect is quite transformatoratory !
No more numb bum now.
Enjoy the weather.
Nev Senior ( UK)
Hi Nev
Where did you get your Seat done, just out interest, and a numb bum after a recent 170 mile bimble?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

Hi,
No more numb bum now.
Enjoy the weather.
Nev Senior ( UK)
Hi Nev
Where did you get your Seat done, just out interest, and a numb bum after a recent 170 mile bimble?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Nev
Sorry this is going to sound unhelpful but...
It was by a small upholsterer in Enderby (Leicestershire) . I was put on to him via a Honda dealers in nearby Oadby.
I've unfortunately lost all contact details thanks to not recording anything!
Hopefully you should be able to track them down from this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry this is going to sound unhelpful but...
It was by a small upholsterer in Enderby (Leicestershire) . I was put on to him via a Honda dealers in nearby Oadby.
I've unfortunately lost all contact details thanks to not recording anything!
Hopefully you should be able to track them down from this.
Ok, I am sure I can track them down, thank you 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts