Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

$600 Gamble

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JB McG 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! to ever is out there on this forum. I have not found any good suspension suggestions. Challenge accepted.

Owned my bike for about a month, maybe 300 miles I've put on it. The new bike endorphins must be gone because its a pretty rough ride. Sure the seat needs help but the rear suspension is crucial and this one sucks.

Long story short after much research Ohlins HD145.5 296mm (sportster suspension) was what I settled on.

The bike I purchased had a 1.25" custom lift to it ( see pic below🤦‍♂️) and figured the shock was a quarter inch shorter so why the heck not. I went with Ohlins because if for some reason this didnt work out of the box, I knew I could find the part(s) I needed. It was this or in my mind consider another bike.

Ordered them from Italy via Ebay (in my possession in less than a week, awesome)

This weekend pulled off the old stuff and installed the new. Unbelievable fit as far as I'm concerned. The mount bushing diameters are an exact fit to the posts. One minor thing is the lower mounting points needed to be pushed out with some bushings or washers, 2 each side (maybe 3mm?) to be allow for tightening.

Initial ride was great. The Ohlins is a great comfort improvement for the price, and will definitely improve my commute. I'm 6'1 so shorter riders might not like the ride height. It floats over bumps unlike the OEM. Hopefully that progressive spring does its' magic.

As far as adjustability it only has preload which was concerning at first but only praise at this point (maybe follow up in a few weeks) Tightened the suspension down until sag was about 1/16" with the weight of the bike, (pretty far down, maybe 4 turns remaining) and went around once more for good measure. I weigh about 215. If you weigh more maybe consider the heavier spring. I might down the road.

Looking forward to softer rides!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Crankset

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice.
There's a couple different shocks available for the SCR but you have to look up yamaha bolt shocks which are identical, not everyone knows they're pretty much the same bike.
Hagon makes a nice shock too.
Progressive suspension 12 inch shocks for a sportser are also good but you need adapter sleeves as the bolt holes are too big.

I've looked into all of these but still have the barron raise up kit with stock shocks. It's taller than stock so my foot pegs dont scrape but still rough as hell on bumps.

#5 ·
I like the Corbin seat. Probably my next upgrade and then done for a while. The red stitching is a cool option.

Went for a 30 mile ride yesterday and I am very pleased with the Ohlins. No more rear wheel hopping over bumps and less standing during my commute.

Just a few tweaks to this bike make it that much better.

#6 ·
Nice work! I am very close to pulling the trigger on Hagon shocks as lean angle is my biggest concern these days.

With that said at 5'11", with what I believe is a normal inseam. The lean to seat height ratio is way off. I don't know whether the previous owner of my bike raised the front at all but having come from riding a sport bike, its a bit odd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.