Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a chance to sit on a scr950, yes it has been long overdue, and my knee is hitting the air filter case on the right side. I can see it being a pain after riding the scr950 for a while, are there any solutions to this?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm about as bowlegged as one bite out of a donut. So, my knee clears the cover fine.
Sorry I'm not any help!

As for what I've seen of the Bolt / SCR 950 air filters from the aftermarket, most are open element type.
I just can't help but wonder how much water they'd let in when parked or ridden in a real rain?
Stock is going to have to do it for me until something safer comes along.

·
Registered
319 Posts
From what I can find in the aftermarket, anything smaller has some type of mesh which lets in moisture and the more protective ones are still relatively bulky compared to the stock one. Maybe add a bit of padding to the corners so they're not digging into you?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I've found air filters from Kuryakyn, Two Brothers and Cobra but they all stick out son much and there's less protection in the former two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Since I haven't been on an SCR as yet, for reference, how tall are you and what's your inseam? That will help in figuring out if this will be an issue to me as well or not (and other riders on here)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never really measured my inseam as I've always just sat on the bike to see if it fits. But I am around 5-ft 6 for reference. Maybe those who are the same height as me but with a longer inseam won't have the same problem or they could be bowlegged like eddie. :grin2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's really the best way to gauge how well suited a bike is to your frame. Some things can be changed like the air filter, just need to give the aftermarket time. So long as you can balance on the scr950 withe the balls of your feet at the very least. Lowering a bike can be costly and change its ride dynamics.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You don't really even need to do that. Just get used to leaning on the one side your comfortable with. Once your other leg is capable of reaching that kickstand, you'll be alright. You just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You don't really even need to do that. Just get used to leaning on the one side your comfortable with. Once your other leg is capable of reaching that kickstand, you'll be alright. You just have to get used to it.
I gotta get my girlfriend to photograph me on the Super Tenere at a stop. It's way tall and I'm not. I *might* get my toes down at the same time. I wear out that part of my boots first and it ain't from dragging them in turns! :grin2:
It freaked my coworker out that I had it up on the center stand the other day and both feet were dangling a good 8-10 inches above the pavement. I put it in gear, rocked it off the stand and let the clutch out at the same time - riding away without ever putting my feet down. It's necessity not a trick.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It freaked my coworker out that I had it up on the center stand the other day and both feet were dangling a good 8-10 inches above the pavement. I put it in gear, rocked it off the stand and let the clutch out at the same time - riding away without ever putting my feet down. It's necessity not a trick.
This I need to see! If it were up to me, the initial dismount from the center stand may jolt me enough to send me into a wall.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I gotta get my girlfriend to photograph me on the Super Tenere at a stop. It's way tall and I'm not. I *might* get my toes down at the same time. I wear out that part of my boots first and it ain't from dragging them in turns! :grin2:
I need more than a photograph! I need a video of that leave as well :surprise:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good luck now trying to get any one of them to hop on, but most non-riders already think we're crazy.

At my work place most people would rather have diarrhea than be on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those who don't ride assume we're all crazy and to an extent, the stereotype is not wrong. We're basically riding an engine with two wheels and protecting a metal frame with our bodies at high speeds. But hey, it's a whole lot of fun!

The fear of getting into an accident is just something to get used to and overcome, like that side air filter. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
LOL just like the side air filter haha. But yup.. I remember when I went for my license, my family told me I may as well get a casket made... talk about dark :|

·
Registered
884 Posts
LOL just like the side air filter haha. But yup.. I remember when I went for my license, my family told me I may as well get a casket made... talk about dark :|
My Dad, who loves to tell about his riding days, started asking me if I rode my "murdersickle" when I went to visit right after I bought my first bike. I finally had enough of his misplaced "humor" and asked him to stop. He looked surprised. I told him he couldn't have it both ways: Brag to his friends that I was riding then use a derogatory term around me. Mom "settled" the debate by going for a ride with me on a PC800 after her second round of chemo/radiation for breast cancer as a sort of celebration. =)
Here she is on my Gold Wing.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She looks right at home on the Gold Wing. :grin2:

I just take the dark humor with a grain of salt, actually find it kind of funny to be honest. Think my a few of my friends in health care has me saved on their contacts lists as "organ donor". They're not wrong considering the fact that I used to ride sportbikes.

But it probably gets old when it comes from family.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had only gotten a few "Donor-Cycle" comments when I first started riding, I think it was to grim of a joke for people to make because they didn't want to see me get hurt.

When I leave work each day a coworker of mine would always say "Ride fast, take chances." Then one day he said "Ride Safe" and I lowsided in a turn on my way home. Told him that and he now only says "Ride fast, take chances." The boating community has some strong traditions when it comes to superstitions.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Now that's a darn shame. But I know a lot of people that have that tradition and they'll always say, never tell me to "be safe" just avoid that subject completely. Tell me to have fun, or do some stuff, or whatever, just not "be safe"

·
Registered
319 Posts
Most of the time I'm told to 'have fun' and 'ride safe'. The accidents I've had so far didn't occur when a certain phrase was said, at least as far as I can recall. It just happened here and there, but it is in poor taste when someone makes a comment like "Donor-Cycle" or "organ donor".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts