Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a scr. Love it. Gotta say. Not loving the air filter positioning. My knee is constantly hitting it. I don’t wanna replace it. I wanna relocate it.

Any advice??

Suggestions??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just got a scr. Love it. Gotta say. Not loving the air filter positioning. My knee is constantly hitting it. I don’t wanna replace it. I wanna relocate it.

Any advice??

Suggestions??
Advice=Don't start cutting up your stock air intake unless you have a good solid plan on how to relocate it. I changed to a K&N intake and my knee rests on it no differently than the stock unit. You do get used to it if you give it time.

Suggestions=Buy a used stock intake from one of the hundreds of people who upgraded. Then start looking at how you can modify it while you continue using your current unit.

I was hoping to see people reply that they have successfully relocated their intakes, but I think I know why there hasn't been any response. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don’t get it - I’m 6’ 2”, and can count the number of times the air filter has knocked my knee on no fingers!! What, are people gripping the tank like Valentino Rossi??!

I’ve gone the K&N route, like @Schu. If it’s really an issue, what about a smaller filter? Kuryakyn or V&H, for example, is that going to provide more room? Failing that, the Low and Mean adapter opens up (allegedly) the world of Harley air cleaners to you.....?
Ben

·
Registered
655 Posts
The stupid bigass air box makes me same annoyance.
Don't say like that! 😜 I feel your pain, brother, as well as many others! FWIW, I included the Kuryachyn Velociraptor and while it is much smaller in diameter, it sticks out as far, if not farther than the stock air box. My thinking was I could tuck my knee in BEHIND it ( I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam ). No dice. Schu is correct, you will get used to it. I have never really ridden bikes squeezing the tank with my legs anyway. This off season ( winter) I will research Ben's advice on the air box adapter. Jevers

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t get it - I’m 6’ 2”, and can count the number of times the air filter has knocked my knee on no fingers!! What, are people gripping the tank like Valentino Rossi??!

I’ve gone the K&N route, like @Schu. If it’s really an issue, what about a smaller filter? Kuryakyn or V&H, for example, is that going to provide more room? Failing that, the Low and Mean adapter opens up (allegedly) the world of Harley air cleaners to you.....?
Ben

Don't those aftermarket filters need a housing or they are gunna get soaked in the rain?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Don't those aftermarket filters need a housing or they are gunna get soaked in the rain?
Yep - a ‘pre-filter’. K&N make one that fits - I can’t remember the model number, but it’s all been detailed on here - the search option is your friend! Likewise, @Schu and myself had ‘Outerwears’ make us one for the K&N - sure they could knock up another, if you ask nicely (again, all the details are on here......somewhere!)
Ben

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yep - a ‘pre-filter’. K&N make one that fits - I can’t remember the model number, but it’s all been detailed on here - the search option is your friend! Likewise, @Schu and myself had ‘Outerwears’ make us one for the K&N - sure they could knock up another, if you ask nicely (again, all the details are on here......somewhere!)
Ben
I think that you guys are getting your panties in a bunch worrying about rain getting into the air box. That little bit of mist isn't going to hurt a thing once/if it even gets past the filter. Heck, back in the late 70s, we were adding water injection on our car engines AFTER the air filter! Jevers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
It worked. It was to help prevent det, due to the slope off of fuel quality/octane and earlier engines' higher static compression ratios.

I ran the Edelbrock kit like the pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts