Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Anyone getting new tires?

10K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Raman-Kathpalia 
#1 ·
Just wondering because those Bridgestone knobby tires are said to be limiting on paved roads, maybe not so much packed dirt ones.

Which wheels will you get?

#4 ·
I've pushed the stock tires as far as ground clearance will allow and they've done admirably.
That said, for the mostly street riding I'll be doing on this bike, I am looking into a set of Michelin Anakee IIIs come replacement time.
I have a set on the Super Tenere now and they've lasted a loooong time while doing fantastic on the road and even some limited off-road riding.
I ride the crap out of the heavy Tenere and still got 11k miles + out of the last front Anakee and expect the current one to match it.
The last rear tire went almost as long.

Attachments

#6 ·
Michelin's noted for making good rain tires and the Anakee IIIs are no exception. The Super Tenere has TC/ABS and I can't recall either kicking in while riding in the rain.

Here are pictures I took just now.
The rear tire has a good bit of tread left at about 6,000 miles. (1st & 3rd photos) The front's in need of replacement soon. It's got almost 10k hard miles on it and still handles just fine.

Attachments

#7 ·
Those tires actually looks as good as new even after 6,000 miles of wear. Plenty of life still left in them and they look evenly worn.

Admittedly, I do a lot of straight riding on pavement so my chicken strips are pretty juicy. Maybe I'll give the Anakee IIIs a try after the stock set has worn down.

#14 ·
We put a set of Commander IIs on my girlfriend's V-Star 950 and they seem to be wearing fine. Less than the stock Dunlops and she says they ride much better, too.
I just replaced the front Michelin Anakee III on the Super Tenere before a short weekend trip and the old one still had some life left at 10k miles.
The trick to buying a long-lasting tire is to ride enough to use it up before it starts to age and harden. It doesn't take as long as one might think, either. We had customers bring in tires to be mounted that'd been bought online with build dates of 2 or more years and they felt noticeably harder/less resilient than a set of "fresh" tires.
It might wear just as long, but it won't offer the same grip.

You pays yer' money, you takes yer' chances, as they say.

#15 ·
Old tires are ok for short trips and not over 80mph, but I wouldn't use them if I plan to play and see excessive speeds. Long touring rider or speeding down highways at 100mph would require a set that's not so old. I've been on a 3 year old bike still with stock tires and it was fine but that was only on city roads.

#17 ·
I swapped out for Bridgestone Battlewings for a long road trip. I’ve been amazed with how sticky they are on pavement. Once they have some heat in them their basically impossible to out ride on the SCR.
And they’ve taken quite a beating on gravel/dirt fire roads with no complaints.
Once I get done with my road trip I was thinking about putting Continental TKC 80’s on just because I love the look so much.
I would really love to find some flat track type tires but am having a hard time finding anything that will fit?
Had anyone seen and flat track tires in the right sizes??
Let me know.
Thanks!

#18 ·
Put the new Michelin Anakee IIIs to the rain test this morning on the ride home. It was POURING and I never felt the bike slip, slide or otherwise break traction.
I once actually leaned on the brakes a bit more firmly than I might have otherwise and all the bike did was stop. I'm a happy camper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.