Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approaching 6000 miles and visually front pads seen to still have wear indicators still visible. So was wondering what mileage anyone had changed there front pads at.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for guidance jevers, I'm sure Ben will be along soon too confirm my lightweight racing snake build and mild riding style so pads should be ok for a while. I have ordered a set just to be ready for any apocalypse, on a serious note I do wish for peace in the world.
FA 179 HH
Automotive lighting Font Vehicle Magenta Automotive exterior

·
Registered
805 Posts
Amen on the peace, brother! Just for reference, I do use my front brake along with my rear brake with EVERY stop, except when I'm riding on gravel. Also, I have bought bikes new, ridden them for 25k to 30k miles and never changed the brake pads. Jevers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for additional info, are you ABS free?
In the U.K. anybike above 125cc and above must have ABS or linked brakes. I recently owned the new generation super cub and even this had ABS on its front disc.
Watching u tube video from the state's I get the impression that ABS is not compulsory?
The downside for us is manufacturers simply stop sending us bikes especially Suzuki drz400 sm as not been sold here for over a decade. One of my personal favorites vanvan 125/200 are no longer imported.
We were always told that calafornia emission regs would stop many bikes being made and imported but sadly Euro 4/5 /6 regs are a nightmare for us. Many bikes have snatchy throttles and of course this stuff as to paid for. My cub and no longer imported vanvan 200.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
805 Posts
You are welcome and you are correct, the U. S. SCRs are non-abs. I've had both and personally, I prefer the non-abs bikes. But, this is coming from an old guy whose first bikes had drum brakes both front and rear! Cheers! Jevers

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You are welcome and you are correct, the U. S. SCRs are non-abs. I've had both and personally, I prefer the non-abs bikes. But, this is coming from an old guy whose first bikes had drum brakes both front and rear! Cheers! Jevers
Not that there's anything wrong with drum brakes.
Unless they look like this…:oops:
Automotive tire Bubbler Automotive wheel system Font Tableware

• Haha
Reactions: Blaze950

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Amen on the peace, brother! Just for reference, I do use my front brake along with my rear brake with EVERY stop, except when I'm riding on gravel. Also, I have bought bikes new, ridden them for 25k to 30k miles and never changed the brake pads. Jevers
In my SCR experience, if you don’t use both brakes together, then you ain’t stopping!! :ROFLMAO:

Every time the old man has a go, he tells me to “fix” the front brakes (either by braided lines, or better pads, or both) - then again, he does usually ride a double Brembo-fronted bike!

Might look for some better pads this year though - they aren’t expensive, and it’s an easy swap. The brakes are pretty poor, but then they do have a lot of weight to counter. On the upside, I think they make you ride a lot more observantly!!:ROFLMAO:

Ben

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spot on Ben, you definitely up your game on SCR. Which is a good thing.... apparently there are bikes out there that apply brakes for you via radar!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the SCR stops fine but im used to dual sport bikes that dont stop any better. If I was used to sport bikes the brakes on the SCR would seam bad.
I only have 5000 miles on my bike, my brakes look like new but im also very easy on brakes as I ride mostly backroads with little stopping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the very short time I've had my SCR, the brakes have been fine for the type of riding it has had, namely slow-ish and lazy. No emergency stops required so far, though! Compared with my old model Africa Twin, I'd say the standard of braking is broadly similar. On mileage for changing pads, I guess it entirely depends on your style of riding.... on my XJR1300SP, I've changed the front pads once I think in around 40k miles. On the AT, a few times in 67k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for imput, on Honda cub and vanvan Suzuki's I was getting thru pads in 4000 miles!
With the SCR weighing in like a battleship and only having a single front disc I was expecting simular mileage. I will probably have a look and clean, and now have spare pads on shelf in garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Thanks for imput, on Honda cub and vanvan Suzuki's I was getting thru pads in 4000 miles!
With the SCR weighing in like a battleship and only having a single front disc I was expecting simular mileage. I will probably have a look and clean, and now have spare pads on shelf in garage.
But have you picked up some better pads though?? I’d be intrigued to see if there was a tangible improvement……

Ben

1 - 14 of 14 Posts