Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Bar end weights

3K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Stu 
#1 ·
If for some reason, maybe forgot to fasten helmet I take both hands of grips I soon have to grab bars due to bike starting to develop handle bar wobble.
The scr is not fitted with bar end weights which I believe can help with this.
I recently fitted some hand guards to my new v strom and these come with bar end weights, at about £50 I have brought another pair for the SCR. I think they will be useful and practical in bad weather and will be interesting to see if they stop the wobble
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
If for some reason, maybe forgot to fasten helmet I take both hands of grips I soon have to grab bars due to bike starting to develop handle bar wobble.
I recently fitted some hand guards to my new v strom and these come with bar end weights, at about £50 I have brought another pair for the SCR. I think they will be useful and practical in bad weather and will be interesting to see if they stop the wobble View attachment 18481
Type "bar end weights" into the "search community" and you will see past posts on the subject.

Type "steering head bearings" into the "search community " and you will find some good info on what causes the wobble and possible solutions. Mine didn't wobble until I got up around 6k miles on the bike. Now it does.....

#3 ·
I recently fitted some hand guards to my new v strom and these come with bar end weights, at about £50 I have brought another pair for the SCR. I think they will be useful and practical in bad weather and will be interesting to see if they stop the wobble
Your options might be limited Stu, as the SCR has weights welded into the bars, we think to try and quell the vibes - as we know, this wasn’t really a successful tactic!! :ROFLMAO: The search @Schu recommended will show you this.

Having said that, others have found workarounds. I changed the bars for Renthals, for example.

Cheers,

Ben

#8 ·
Hi Ben here's a couple of images, any views welcome, would be nice just to drill standard bars to accept bar end weights that came with guards about 10 mm I think.
Sorry for late reply mate - are you going to drill them to locate the controls (which I did), or just file off the locating ‘nubs’ and clamp them up as tight as you can (which others do, but is not my preferred method)?

Ben

#10 ·
Up to you…..just given you’ve bought some Renthals, I figured you’d be trying to use them??

Re. drilling/tapping the weights in the stock bars, our old friend @eddie did that, once upon a time:

Ben

#12 ·
Even the renthals struggle to accept the bar end weights Ben. Will take a look at weekend back at work now after covid isolation..
Just drill and tap standard bars in situ seems a easy option.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the bar end weights resolved the steering wobble for those who have tried it. I can't say for sure, because I simply decided that riding "No Hands" just wasn't an option on my SCR. :geek:

Reactions: Blaze950
#14 ·
I didn't know that. The brush guards I've had on my past dirt bikes had what I thought was a rubber insert shoved into the open end of the bars and it expanded when you threaded in the mounting bolt.

#21 ·
I replaced my stock neck bearings for “all balls” conical needle bearings and I can now ride with no hands for as long as the bike will roll upright. The handlebar weights will not change the wobble, it’s caused by the inferior stock ball-bearing neck bearings.

Some people say the tires have something to do with it but I’ve had the same tires before and after and the tires are not the issue.

#22 ·
Did you have much trouble getting the OEM bearings out? It’s on my list of things to do, having read all about the issue both here and on the Bolt forum. Having said that, I’m not noticing any head shaking……for now:rolleyes:

Ben

#27 ·
FAIL.......... Drill broke off so now time for plan c. When you reach a certain age you lose interest in looks and just fit some givi TM421universal handle bar muffs......i know you all what some!
Nice muff!!

Sorry about the fail, but can’t say I’m surprised - I think you’d need a decent set of drill bits (and drill) to get into those slugs mama Yama installed in the OEM bars.

Never mind…….

Ben

#26 ·
Captains log supplemental... stu is Odyoa a Yamaha just used my wife's tablet and I gained a new user name.
Sorry for any confusion my name is Stuart I live in the U.K. (black country)
Additional additional my bike was delivered exactly one year ago today and I have completed 5000 trouble free miles. I love this bike and so glad I took a punt on it

#30 ·
Odyoa Yamaha using wife's Lenovo tablet ...... Finally got handguards fitted, I'm not bad on the tools but this as been a test! Well they are on and I'm pretty pleased with results ok so winter ❄ is almost over but still plenty of wind and rain to deflect.
Coming soon WW 2 nose art stickers first batch as arrived more on the way with Japanese theme.
Sleeve Jersey Art Font T-shirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.