Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the kit and will install in the coming days. Just need to review how to take off the muffler and check the belt tension to see if there is any difference when the kit is installed. Heavy pieces though. I will follow up with a report after my first test ride. One more inch should definitely allow more leaning without scraping!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Let me know what the difference in handling is like, I've messaged SS Customs myself but it'll be over £100 including shipping to the UK.

Dog bones for my other bike were peanuts.

Cheers Franksy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Installed the raiser kit and the bike definitely feels higher. Riding position unchanged and better handling feel in the twisties. That extra inch of clearance does add to the nimbleness of the bike which feels like it really want to swing right and left. Install was easy with some muscle to pull the shock out off the stock bottom bolt. Will test ride on a tighter, more technical local mountain road in the coming days. For what it's worth, I measured 7 inches from the bottom tip under the peg to the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Interesting, here I was expecting that the part would align with the shock axis, but now that I think about it, that would be an unstable configuration, like lifting weights with your knees locked.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you want even more ride height, you can loosen the triple clamp and slide the tubes down until they're flush with the top. You'll lose some of the quickness steering you get from the reduced trail (raising the rear reduces the trail), but raising the front even a little bit will increase your cornering clearance significantly.

Because your overall rear suspension travel does not change, you will still adjust the belt tension as per the manual. However, raising it up an inch will loosen the belt slightly, so you should have to re-tension it. That said, it's probably still within the correct range, especially if it was on the tighter side at the beginning.

Charles.

·
Registered
716 Posts
REAR SHOCK ADJUSTMENT
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but this is close.
I literally made no adjustments to this bike when I got it home from the dealer. I rode 4,600 miles last year. This winter I was bored so I pulled out the toolkit and decided to adjust the settings for the rear shocks. They were set in the middle setting so I reset to the highest, most firm setting.
I took a 45 mile ride yesterday and WOW! What a difference. I'm going to put on another 150 miles today and let you know what I think.
My initial reaction is that I feel like I'm pushed forward on the seat and of course the steering feels different. I like the firmness when I hit a bump, but not sure if I like the feel of the steering. Time will tell.
Just for kicks, maybe we could start a thread with riders;
Body weight
Cargo weight
1 up or 2 up
Shock setting
Tire pressure
Etc.
What you think? Jevers

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ok, I'll play...I'm 6-2, 220lbs. I ran the stock SCR shocks for one season (2017) and had them on the softest preload setting most of the time. Coming from dirt riding I ride with my legs a lot so this may not be ideal for everyone. On the freeway I find the ride more comfortable on the softest setting as small bumps are absorbed better and the ride is less harsh. Granted on rough secondary roads they bottom out all the time. The stock shocks are designed to carry a rider, a passenger, and cargo! I never take a passenger or ride with a heavy load. If I know I'll be riding a lot of rough road I stiffen them up a notch.

Last year I installed 280mm Hagon shocks. I ordered them with 30kg springs which if I remember right are the softest springs they'll sell you. The Hagons are about an inch longer and have about an inch more travel. They only have preload adjustment and I usually have them set on the softest setting as well.

41psi tire pressure

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here's mine;
240 lb.
No cargo
1 up
High setting of (5?)
Jevers
175 lbs @ 5'-10"
Always ride single with no cargo
Softest setting
Tires at 35 front and 38 rear

Did you ever read the TIRE INFORMATION decal on the belt guard?
They could've saved a lot of print and just put 41 psi.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Doesn’t matter how many words they use - you’re clearly not listening!! :grin2::grin2::grin2:
Ben
But I'm a light weight compared to those other two guys.:nerd:
41 psi feels like riding on a solid rubber tire.

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
But I'm a light weight compared to those other two guys.:nerd:
41 psi feels like riding on a solid rubber tire.
I had to look it up - the only ‘pounds’ we have over here is the currency.....!! :grin2:

Apparently, I’m about 190-195 lbs.

Ben

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's mine;
240 lb.
No cargo
1 up
High setting of (5?)
Jevers
Tire pressure is stock 41 psi
Okay, after riding 150 miles of fairly rough road, I am going back down to the medium setting ( number 3).
I could tell the difference on the big bumps, it wouldn't bottom out. Otherwise, on the expansion joints, on the the highest setting ( number 5), it will pogostick you into submission! Heck, I might even try a softer setting! The saga continues.... Jevers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey new guy here I think you have the risers installed backwards I have them on my scr and they don't look like yours check the sis customs web site and look at the installation on the bolt.
Humm....can you post a couple shots to document your assertion?

Other guys (Jevers...etc): you bunch of thread high jackers!!:)))

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.