Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, what has everyone got?

My OEM battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S….. were all U.K./Euro SCRs fitted with the same battery, I wonder? What about in the US - you guys have Yuasas too?

I was just wondering, as the bikes turn 5 next year, whether it was time to consider replacing it? I have to say, I’ve not had any starting issues (touches wood), but was just thinking about how long you should go without replacing them? Or, are you just better to keep cranking on the one you’ve got, until it gives out?

Opinions…….?

Ben

Black Font Gas Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you ride all the time or keep it on a tender a yuasa battery will last up to 10 years. You can also wreck a good battery in one winter if you just park the bike for 3 months without a battery tender so not everyone gets close to 10 years out of em.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Ben having just attached a fly lead to my battery today, I can honestly say I would not look forward to replacing the battery, what a faff....
TBH being a hardcore rider and using my bike everyday I cannot remember the last time I brought a battery... 2006 Suzuki drz400 I think.
Things love to be used and hate standing.

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ben having just attached a fly lead to my battery today, I can honestly say I would not look forward to replacing the battery, what a faff....
TBH being a hardcore rider and using my bike everyday I cannot remember the last time I brought a battery... 2006 Suzuki drz400 I think.
Things love to be used and hate standing.
Aah, it’s not that bad. I take mine off every winter, for storage (as per the pic above).

Best trick is to disconnect the negative (nearest to you, obviously), then remove the ECU directly above the battery. This then allows easy access to the positive terminal. The other trick to removing the battery (once both terminals are disconnected) is to slightly lift the cover that’s directly above the battery (that the ECU sits on), and it’ll then slide right out……

Obviously, the other option is to ride it all
winter…… :ROFLMAO:

Ben

·
Registered
40 Posts
My bike came prewired for a battery tender, I dont need to remove my battery. The local dealers do this to every bike. All I did was plug in my tender and the battery is good till spring.
The optimate plug works for battery tender brands too, I have a battery tender jr plugged into the prewired optimate plug the bike came with.

·
Super Moderator
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bike came prewired for a battery tender, I dont need to remove my battery. The local dealers do this to every bike. All I did was plug in my tender and the battery is good till spring.
The optimate plug works for battery tender brands too, I have a battery tender jr plugged into the prewired optimate plug the bike came with.
Yeah, I fit my own. Do it to every bike I own.

Removing the Battery is just part of the pre-winter ritual I have.

Ben

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Hood

·
Registered
102 Posts
As per the title, what has everyone got?

My OEM battery is a Yuasa YTZ14S….. were all U.K./Euro SCRs fitted with the same battery, I wonder? What about in the US - you guys have Yuasas too?

I was just wondering, as the bikes turn 5 next year, whether it was time to consider replacing it? I have to say, I’ve not had any starting issues (touches wood), but was just thinking about how long you should go without replacing them? Or, are you just better to keep cranking on the one you’ve got, until it gives out?

Opinions…….?

Ben

View attachment 18346
Yep, just got a new battery this summer. Was a bit of a bitch to put in as far as batteries go IMO (removing side panels and what not). Even found an extra rubber strap in there that some slouch had apparently left (LMAO). Didn't get the original stock battery, but purchased a reasonable facsimile from a local auto parts store. A few less CCA less than the stock battery but same dimensions, post configuration, etc. Not too worried about a few less amps 'cause I keep the bike garaged throughout the year and am not too inclined to ride in the cold-assed Michigan Winters when it's below, say, 39 to 40 degrees F. Attached a pig-tail for periodic trickle charging and so forth, but will have to get a plug adapter to hook up to trickle charger. It's all good friends. Kept me out of mischief for a little while anyways.
Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep, just got a new battery this summer. Was a bit of a bitch to put in as far as batteries go IMO (removing side panels and what not). Even found an extra rubber strap in there that some slouch had apparently left (LMAO). Didn't get the original stock battery, but purchased a reasonable facsimile from a local auto parts store. A few less CCA less than the stock battery but same dimensions, post configuration, etc. Not too worried about a few less amps 'cause I keep the bike garaged throughout the year and am not too inclined to ride in the cold-assed Michigan Winters when it's below, say, 39 to 40 degrees F. Attached a pig-tail for periodic trickle charging and so forth, but will have to get a plug adapter to hook up to trickle charger. It's all good friends. Kept me out of mischief for a little while anyways. View attachment 18361
P.S. Yes, the original was a Yuasa Stateside . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts