Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how long a battery is good for, in our SCR's? I took possession of my bike in Dec. 2018. It has .6 miles on the odometer. But, deciphering the VIN, the bike was made in 2016. When I installed my new Koso speedo/tach, the static voltage shows 11.7vdc(not so good), and with the bike running, it's 14.3vdc. I'm just wondering if maybe I should go ahead and replace the battery before riding season actually begins. I'm not having any problems starting it yet, starts right up and idles well (nice to have a tach). Any thoughts? Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
716 Posts
Anyone know how long a battery is good for, in our SCR's? I took possession of my bike in Dec. 2018. It has .6 miles on the odometer. But, deciphering the VIN, the bike was made in 2016. When I installed my new Koso speedo/tach, the static voltage shows 11.7vdc(not so good), and with the bike running, it's 14.3vdc. I'm just wondering if maybe I should go ahead and replace the battery before riding season actually begins. I'm not having any problems starting it yet, starts right up and idles well (nice to have a tach). Any thoughts? Thanks

Lee
Lee, It sounds like your battery is fine. Put it on a Battery Tender and plug it in when you're not going to ride it for any extended time. One note about Battery Tenders; the battery has to be in a close to fully charged state for the Tender to properly "read" the battery. That "new" battery should last 3 to 4 years. Jevers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lee, It sounds like your battery is fine. Put it on a Battery Tender and plug it in when you're not going to ride it for any extended time. One note about Battery Tenders; the battery has to be in a close to fully charged state for the Tender to properly "read" the battery. That "new" battery should last 3 to 4 years. Jevers

@Jevers478 and Co,

Nooby question here;

what if i left my motorcycle inside the garage for 30 days without having to start it? Would i encounter any issues?

Thanks,

Mototech101

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jevers. Maybe sometimes it's best NOT knowing what ya got. It's also weird thinking that my NEW bike is actually almost 3 years old. Kind of a "time-warp" thing

Lee

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
@Jevers478 and Co,

Nooby question here;

what if i left my motorcycle inside the garage for 30 days without having to start it? Would i encounter any issues?

Thanks,

Mototech101
Almost certainly it would be fine - the SCR doesn’t have a huge amount of accessories drawing current when parked up (unless you’ve added some?!). Pretty sure mine has stood that long before, but I’ll always put it on tender the night before a ride anyway. Worthwhile investment.....
Ben

·
Registered
716 Posts

@Jevers478 and Co,

Nooby question here;

Thanks,

Mototech101
30 days in your climate is not a problem. 30 days in Minnesota's current climate, not so good. It's a very inexpensive investment that will prolong your battery's life.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Good idea, on the tender. I'll have to check into one, seeing as the cold of winter is returning tonight (had a high of 60* today, here in N.E.)
Lee,
I use the Battery Tender Junior and own at least 8 of them. My Malibu, mower, ATV, SCR, camper, boat, and two old enduros are all plugged in at the moment. Anytime someone asks me what I want for Xmas or my Birthday I say Battery Tender Jr. They monitor and maintain as needed, and they automatically switch to 6V or 12V as needed. I will say that they are made a lot cheaper than they used to be just 5 or 6 years ago, but that's the way of the world now. I know this because I have accidently headed down the driveway on my mower while dragging the Tender behind me........ lol. It survived.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Fart smeller???...EWWW :eek: That stinks..

Talked with the dealership about this, and I was told that when a bike arrives, the battery is dry. Prior to its delivery to a customer, fresh electrolyte is added, then the battery is charged. So even though a bike may be older (but new) the battery will be as new, to the buyer

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
Fart smeller???...EWWW :eek: That stinks..

Talked with the dealership about this, and I was told that when a bike arrives, the battery is dry. Prior to its delivery to a customer, fresh electrolyte is added, then the battery is charged. So even though a bike may be older (but new) the battery will be as new, to the buyer
Erm - aren’t our batteries sealed and maintenance-free (aside from charging, of course), so will be dispatched from the manufacturer ready? Batteries you need to ‘top-up’ are getting rarer nowadays, unless you go really cheap.
Ben

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You just HAD to pop my bubble, didn't ya. Now I gotta go and actually look and see what I've got, and see If I've been sold the proverbial "bill-of-goods" by an unscrupulous sales person

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
You just HAD to pop my bubble, didn't ya. Now I gotta go and actually look and see what I've got, and see If I've been sold the proverbial "bill-of-goods" by an unscrupulous sales person
Sorry........

.....unless your dealer is talking about having to initially ‘activate’ them, once the bike is sold - but I don’t think they even have to do that to ours - pretty sure they are supplied activated from the factory. Appears they do still exist tho - see the second pic, from Yuasa.

Ben

·
Registered
369 Posts
Battery Tender !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.