Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

Better / higher rear suspension..?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dustyroads 
#1 ·
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the rear suspension units on an SCR950 with other units, to give longer travel thus better ground clearance / cornering and better bump suppression?

How much further away from the frame can the rear swing arm move before it hits its end stop?

Or does the drive belt have limits to how far it can move off-axis?

Are there any rear suspension units that can address this and be bolted straight on?

Thanks - DT

#2 ·
I have the exact same questions. I have to set the preload to the fourth or fifth position on the stock shocks to keep from bottoming out but every frost heave launches me out of the seat. I would love 2 extra inches of travel and set the spring rate a little lower. My old Honda CL350 had almost exactly the same suspension travel (actually a shade more) but was 200 pounds lighter.

#3 ·
If you search for posts by choppercharles you should find some pretty good details on what he did to get more height by swapping out the rear shocks. Although I believe he ended posting some negative aspects after the long run as if he probably wouldn’t recommend it. It was long ago and my memory isn’t what it used to be…..

#5 ·
I have the barron raise up kit on mine.
It's taller but rides just like stock, it's rough and bottoms easily on bad roads.
You can add sporters shocks with a new bushing in them, you want about a 12 inch shock max. These are dirt cheap used.
You cant add much travel, the belt gets too loose as the wheel goes down further than stock. Taller is ok as long as its not long travel too.
Stock the belt needs about 1 inch of slack at its loosest point with just under 3 inches of travel. With 5 inches of travel like long travel shocks would have the belt would need about 2 inches of slack at it's loosest point which is too much for a belt.

#7 ·
I just installed the Barron Raise up kit today. Unloaded the swing arm is in contact with the exhaust bracket. When loaded there is clearance, but it's minimal. Since I actually take this bike off-road, I'm concerned about doing damage. Has anyone had damage issues to the swing arm or exhaust bracket?