Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the feel of my Biltwell thruster grips on my other bikes, so I bought a set for the SCR950, in brown. To match the seat cover I plan to purchase eventually.

Well, I'm going to take them off and replace them with something else. First thing is the inner ends of the grips are too big. The little flange area. It's larger in diameter than the handlebar controls, and I find myself fumbling to reach the turn signal switch because the flange of the grip is in the way. Likewise, the grip is in the way of the flash-to-pass button, and makes actuating it difficult.

The grips themselves are VERY comfy. I get no vibration through the grips, they're soft and extremely grippy. Biltwell makes other grips made of the same rubber material that don't have the big flange that the Thruster grips do, and I was going to buy a set of those instead. However... these grips get filthy very quickly. I'm constantly having to clean them off. It's not dirt or anything, they just slowly turn black from fabric or leather gloves. The rubber is so soft it takes in every little bit of grime, lint, or dye and stores it indefinitely. Wash the grips, go for a ride, and the grips are dirty again.

I'm going to try some grips with a harder rubber compound and see if that makes a difference. Note that I still LOVE my Biltwell grips in black - where no grime will ever show. They're absolutely the most comfortable grip I've ever used. But Buying these in any color other than black is a bad idea. I can't fathom how bad red or white would be, with brown this bad!

Charles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i plan on using the pro taper pillow top grips once i change out the handle bar. i use them on all my dirt bikes. they're super comfortable, cheap, and super grippy; however, they don't last very long.

the regular version don't come in black, though

but the lite version does, but isn't as comfy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts