Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kid you not I bought my SCR with 1 mile on the clock from Yamaha main agent, road it home 10 mins away got home & there is no number plate on the bike.

I phone main agent tell them, they say in fifty years of selling bikes they have never sent a bike out with no plate on & that there mechanic would have also rode it on test ride. They say bring it back we put another one on.

They make new plate bolt it on with new number plate plastic screws with plastic nuts on rear & double up on nuts.

Day 2 of having the bike I take my mrs out & we do about 15 miles a few on the motor way, stop at services as we pull up my mate on a gsx says your side panels gone. Sure enough left hand side panel is MIA.

I phone main agent tell them, they say thats strange we wouldn't have taken the left side panel off, only the right hand one to get at battery but to help you out we will order you new side panel free of charge. OK thank you I say.

We get to destination then head home. About 10 miles home I can hear my mate behind honking his horn so I stop look round & my number plate is half hanging off so one of the bolts has snapped.

I phone dealer explain, they say sorry must be batch of dodgy bolts, get it back to us & we sort it out. We rat tie plate on & take it back to them where they put 2 steel bolts & steel nie lock nuts on the rear. Main agent owner says when you bring it back for its first service we will paint the bolt heads black for you lol.

Yeah right, didnt argue with him as I just wanted to get away, Ive since spoken to main agent owners son who has apologised & says he will sort everything out for me & that his Dad is past sell by date.

Dont blame the SCR in anyway, great bike.

Anybody had anything fall off their SCR yet

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While the side panels on my particular SCR never tried to abandon me, I saw it coming and went a bit drastic in my solution.
I ended up converting the side panel bolts over to Dzuz-style aircraft fasteners.
http://www.scr950forum.com/forum/369-appearance-body/1274-side-panel-fastener-conversion.html
Side panel fixings def suspect & need sorting Eddie so you did the right thing.

Course now thou the joke is with my friends has anything else falling off your bike yet! w'kerz lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lol, so you lost two plates in the same number of days. Luckily eddie caught on early and tied his down before they flew away, but I guess your bolts were a bit worse off if they fell off so soon after purchase.

Or you were travelling so fast the wind just tore it off. :grin2:

·
Registered
884 Posts
A bit of clarification. Help me if I'm wrong in my understanding.
Number plate = registration/ license plate or dealer's "drive off" tag. Hence the reference to plastic bolts and nuts holding it on.
Side panels = something entirely different and each are held on by just one steel bolt and two tabs/slots along the top edge.

I changed my side panels to the Dzus fasteners and used stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts on the tag.
Before I moved into a house, I used pop rivets on my license plates due to the high theft rate around apartments here.
-eddie

·
Registered
522 Posts
You're right, I just keep calling those side panels number plates because of the 950 on it, but that's not really the correct use of that term.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forget we are all in different parts of the world & use different terms.

Here we say number plate or registration plate, some times licence plate, side panel for side panel

I will do something with the side panels too to secure them, hopefully with a key to get them off.

Yamaha should have done better where the side panels fixings are concerned.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My friends plate used to fall off. Picked up some loctite and the rest was history. That stuff does wonders. Used it on my kitchen sink faucet once and never had a loose faucet :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yea, but once you use loctite, whatever you stick on is there to stay, forever. If you ever want to voluntarily remove the side panels in the future, tough luck.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not if you use Blue Loctite.

The Red Loctite is the permanent one... until enough heat is used at least (a good amount)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Blue Loctite can be removed if you soak it in methylene chloride. Or just zip tie everything together if possible, those ties lasts for a long time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you need to clean the Loctite off of the threads then yes, methylene chloride is ideal. But it's great for holding the bolt in there for as long as you need and removing it can be done with hand tools without issue

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked my main Yamaha agent where was my tube of locktite they didn't seem very amused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts