Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The moto bars were cool but I was getting beat up by wind at freeway speeds. I put some woodcraft clip ons with a 3" rise and I love them! The only downside is I catch myself riding a little more aggresive :D

The next project is removing the rear fender and relocating the plate for a more brat style look. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

(Also, first post! Hello everyone!)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see someone tackling some modifications straight from the get-go! How long have you had yours for?
It's a challenge since the bike is so new that there aren't any aftermarket parts for it! I got mine mid-december. About 1500 miles on it so far.

Welcome to the forum and your scr950 looks great! Tadlock removed his rear fender last year and it looks a lot cleaner with some new taillights.
Where are you planning to relocate the plate?
I really like the lights and the bracket they mount to should be reusable for how I'm going to modify the fender. As far as the plate I saw that the Brat Style scr950 has it side mounted to the extra hole by the top of the rear springs (I think it's for the saddlebag mount) It looks like it should look pretty sweet! I'll make sure to post pics as I go.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks like the Brat Style scr950 has it mounted to the left of the tire under the tailight? Hard to find a clear shot of the rear with the plate, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

You could always try to Diy some parts if they aren't available in the aftermarket yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the Brat Style scr950 has it mounted to the left of the tire under the tailight? Hard to find a clear shot of the rear with the plate, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

You could always try to Diy some parts if they aren't available in the aftermarket yet.
Yeah it's hard to tell from the videos and pictures but I thought he put it on that hole for the saddlebags. Even if he didn't I thought "hey not a bad idea!" I got a universal mount and some led lights I'm waiting on and see if it will work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you by any chance completed this by now? Seeing that nearly a month went by i'm going to assume you did, keep us posted!
Ha I'm sorry! Life has been busy so I haven't had a chance to complete it fully. I have the plate side mounted but I have the metal to fabricate a new bracket on the fender which should be done soon. But here's a picture of the mount so far! It's been working fine but I'm working up an idea for removing the fender for a brat style seat/fender set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you thinking of the brat style fender where the end sweeps upwards a bit? Kind of like this?

No I'm considering no fender all together. I think it would look pretty sweet and I've already thought up how to mount lights and plate but I'm not sure about practicality of it (like when it's wet haha)

I was thinking something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just don't ride when it's wet and you'll never have that skunk strip on your back. :grin2: That's pretty much the only problem I see with a fender delete, but maybe the long set will block some of that dirt from hitting your back?

Anywho, how do you plan to mount the lights and plate?

·
Registered
339 Posts
its not an issue to most riders since most don't intend to ride in the rain, its more of a case they unexpectedly got caught in it. at least if you plan on riding in the rain, mounting the fender back on is an option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally done! I scrapped the side mount and went with it back on the fender. I can't legally do vertical mount here in California so I didn't like how far it stuck out. I was able to remove the black plastic part of the fender that held the plate and made my own. I bought a universal plate mount (about $25 off amazon), some led bolts, and a friend gave me a piece of scrap steel. It was all fairly easy to rig up but right now it's not the prettiest. The steel I used it raw but will soon be shaped and painted to match. I really like the aesthetics of it compared to the oem mount. Since I can't do the vertical mount this will have to do!

On a separate note, does anyone have any experience removing handlebar clamps?? I tried but the clamp rotates in the hole and I have no way of holding onto it without damaging it.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Those LED bolts are a nice finishing touch and it'll make you just a bit more visible at night. As for that piece of steel, nobody can really see that it's unshaped, just need to paint it for rust proofing purposes.

Maybe @eddie has fiddled with the handlebar clamps already. Handy guy probably has thought about it at the very least. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts