Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pix of the Crank Case Vent - UNI filter UN 124-
Solution Bypassed the air filter port used to recirculate the nasty oil vapor / water and gases coming off the motor back into the motor aka Emissions

Now the vapor vents to atmosphere... much better on the fuel injection, valves and pistons..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I know a lot of Buell owners do this mod, but often re-route the breather to a catch-can down below the primary drive or similar......quite often it was something like JD can, cos they’re, you know, cool.......

Tell me - what’s to stop the left side of your engine (or your left leg) getting covered in a fine mist of oil, should any ever be chucked out?

I considered this mod when fitting my K&N too, but admit I was a little frightened off by some scare stories that it can actually play havoc with your crankcase pressure. Gotta admit, I’ve no experience of this, and I know loads of people vent to atmosphere, but it was just as simple to hook it up as K&N instructed too, so I went with that option.
Ben

Reactions: PNWSCR

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Also, re-looking at your pictures.....it looks a little like a phallus hanging there.......#justsaying
Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... maybe a little oil mist to go along with the bugs and road grime. With this set up: the crank case vent hose is routed over the top of the rear head and then down to the filter which will catch most of the ultra fine mist. If she is barfing massive amounts of oil out of the vent there are bigger problems - like over filled oil / ring failure etc

I have vented all my bikes / hot rods this way - 1000cc inline four bangers - one lunger thumpers and my big bore HD’s Big Block Chevy V8’s... see attached (some have even had a pump to create positive pressure to reduce blow by)
V-Twin motors are notorious for having crank case venting challenges because of their large bore and strokes ... creates a lot of push and pull going on inside that motor.

There are some big advantages to the motor not inhaling the oil / water and VOC’s coming out of the crank case. Primarily when the valves and pistons are screaming hot and the “Micro” droplets of oil vapor coat them causing carbonization etc ...

The recirculated crank Case Vent was the first phase of emissions for vehicles in about 1962 ...

Here is a great article about it:

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/understanding-blowby-motorcycle-engines

I know a lot of Buell owners do this mod, but often re-route the breather to a catch-can down below the primary drive or similar......quite often it was something like JD can, cos they’re, you know, cool.......

Tell me - what’s to stop the left side of your engine (or your left leg) getting covered in a fine mist of oil, should any ever be chucked out?

I considered this mod when fitting my K&N too, but admit I was a little frightened off by some scare stories that it can actually play havoc with your crankcase pressure. Gotta admit, I’ve no experience of this, and I know loads of people vent to atmosphere, but it was just as simple to hook it up as K&N instructed too, so I went with that option.
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Here are the pix of the Crank Case Vent - UNI filter UN 124-
Solution Bypassed the air filter port used to recirculate the nasty oil vapor / water and gases coming off the motor back into the motor aka Emissions

Now the vapor vents to atmosphere... much better on the fuel injection, valves and pistons..
Awwww, now isn't that cute. A little baby K&N filter!:wink2: I think it looks very cool, but I like the cleanliness of routing into the air box. Besides, I have an old double breasted road oiler, my Bonneville! Jevers

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd put a longer hose on and route it up as high as you can under the tank. While you're probably not crazy enough to try, there are videos of guys doing wheelies on the bolts, and sucking crankcase oil from the breather into the cylinders with a stock airbox setup. (SMOOOOOOOKKKKEEEEEEE!) Might be a good idea to make it as hard as possible for oil to come out of there.

Also, it does look like a little dingus hanging in the breeze. Just sayin'.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If that's what y'all's ****s look like, you seriously need to go see a urologist.
I don't know.......
I was just there last week and he had diagrams on the wall that looked a lot like your typical crankcase ventilation system to me.
You be the judge.

Attachments

Reactions: jobirobi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep. Looks like a Terminator thingy. Or, at least what I’d imagine a terminator thingy would look like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. Looks like a Terminator thingy. Or, at least what I’d imagine a terminator thingy would look like.
Well this has been very educational ....however I believe to properly anatomically complete the install ....I will need to order one last part off EBay...

(Looks like I may have dropped the ball? 🤔)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Oh my God, which is which??!?
See what I'm saying? I think it's based on the same principle function.

So, next time I go see my Urologist I am going to show him the photos of the Uni-filter with the detailed explanation of its benefits.
Ever since I won my battle with prostate cancer I have been looking for ways to regain a little performance on top end and out of the hole, if you know what I'm saying.....
This Uni-filter might be the answer. Probably take a while to get used to wearing it, but hey, it's all about performance baby.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my God, which is which??!?
See what I'm saying? I think it's based on the same principle function.

So, next time I go see my Urologist I am going to show him the photos of the Uni-filter with the detailed explanation of its benefits.
Ever since I won my battle with prostate cancer I have been looking for ways to regain a little performance on top end and out of the hole, if you know what I'm saying.....
This Uni-filter might be the answer. Probably take a while to get used to wearing it, but hey, it's all about performance baby.
Stay tuned!
🤣LMAO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts