Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out here in AZ and I was away on a business trip for 5 days, got back and went to fire up the bike and battery is dead. The bike is almost 3 years old, any ideas on how long a battery should last? I'm pretty sure the heat out here didn't help it any either :grin2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depends on how often you ride, and by extension exercise your battery. Going for periodic rides of about 40-50 miles will recharge the battery enough to keep it alive and ensure the chemical reactions inside keep going. I put about 200 miles on mine every two weeks on average, let it sit for about a week in between due to the weather near Chicago, and it fires up every single time for example. If you only ride once a month then your battery will slowly drain and the chemicals will lose effectiveness. The stock batteries in our bikes are like car batteries: You shouldn't have to replace it for at least 5 years, if at all, so long as you drive/ride often.

As for a solution to your problem, try bringing your battery back to life by plugging it into a tender.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My battery has never been replaced, and I'm the only owner my bike's ever had, so I'll assume it's a 2016 vintage. I've taken longer trips than that without using any sort of battery tender, and I've never had a dead battery upon return. Heat can affect AGM battery life (someone correct me if I'm misinformed and the stock battery isn't AGM type), but is the battery really going to get that much hotter while it's parked than when it's burning gasoline? Do you have any electronics installed that might have drained some energy while you were away?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on how often you ride, and by extension exercise your battery. Going for periodic rides of about 40-50 miles will recharge the battery enough to keep it alive and ensure the chemical reactions inside keep going. I put about 200 miles on mine every two weeks on average, let it sit for about a week in between due to the weather near Chicago, and it fires up every single time for example. If you only ride once a month then your battery will slowly drain and the chemicals will lose effectiveness. The stock batteries in our bikes are like car batteries: You shouldn't have to replace it for at least 5 years, if at all, so long as you drive/ride often.

I put 100 miles a day on the machine 5 days a week

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My battery has never been replaced, and I'm the only owner my bike's ever had, so I'll assume it's a 2016 vintage. I've taken longer trips than that without using any sort of battery tender, and I've never had a dead battery upon return. Heat can affect AGM battery life (someone correct me if I'm misinformed and the stock battery isn't AGM type), but is the battery really going to get that much hotter while it's parked than when it's burning gasoline? Do you have any electronics installed that might have drained some energy while you were away?
Nope, bike is equipped as from the factory
I have deleted the front turn signals and have not replaced them as of yet. Looking to put bar ends on. That might leave a circuit open, not sure.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Genny's V-Star 950 (same engine/battery as SCR) finally needed a battery after 5 years of hot Georgia summers and living in the sun under a cover in the driveway.
It was ridden maybe 3-4 times a month on average and was on a battery tender no more than 2-3 times ever.
My only guess how it lasted so long was the AGM battery was properly charged while in storage before the bike was sold (leftover 2012 in late 2013)
and brought up to full charge slowly the day of sale. Sitting right next to it is my 2012 Super Tenere. It's eaten three batteries so far. =(

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Question on battery tender:

Currently, there's one available in Costco for $45 bucks.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1385392.html

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer
12V or 6V Switchable Battery Charger

Can I charge 2017 scr950 stock oem battery with this unit?
If so, what should be the voltage settings. 6v or 12v?

Thanks,
RK.
Yes you can. Proper setting is 12v. And if it has selectable battery type then you want AGM/flooded.
If you are simply looking to maintain a proper charge, then you can save a little money and go with a Deltran Battery Tender Jr.
I own 6 or 8 of these units and they are perfect for keeping the battery up to snuff between uses. However, they are not intended to charge a dead battery. In that situation you are better off with your selection.
:nerd:

·
Registered
228 Posts
All right fellas. 30k+ miles and the bike has finally failed to start for the first time.

Yesterday I took it to the store and didn't have any trouble but it was the first time I had cranked it up since the weekend so probably spent 3-4 days sitting between 40-70°F temps. This morning when pushing the ignition button the bike just makes this "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" sound from the battery area and won't turn the engine over.

Wondering if I should go with the battery tender, replace the battery, replace sparkplug(s?), or all the above.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's a bummer. Sadly, it sounds like it's time for a new battery. Most motorcycle batteries only last +/- 2 years so yours had a good run. Time to take the side covers and seat off, move the ECU to the side, and do some extraction.

Though, before you take the battery out it might be worth it to check the terminals to make sure everything's still bolted down tight. I had a problem with my SCR that was due to that in the past, and tightening down the nuts on the battery fixed the problem. Also, if you're over 30k miles it might be time to check/replace your spark plugs if you're still rocking the OEM's, but most likely it's your battery if you can't get the starter moving.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's a bummer. Sadly, it sounds like it's time for a new battery. Most motorcycle batteries only last +/- 2 years so yours had a good run. Time to take the side covers and seat off, move the ECU to the side, and do some extraction.

Though, before you take the battery out it might be worth it to check the terminals to make sure everything's still bolted down tight. I had a problem with my SCR that was due to that in the past, and tightening down the nuts on the battery fixed the problem. Also, if you're over 30k miles it might be time to check/replace your spark plugs if you're still rocking the OEM's, but most likely it's your battery if you can't get the starter moving.
Managed to find a spark plug locally but had to order a generic battery off of ebay (~$40). I can't believe the stock battery is going for $150+ but I guess I'll get the chance to review the knock off for others.

·
Registered
228 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts