Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So yesterday I had an odd moment when my SCR failed to start. Was in first gear and everything was set like normal, but nothing was happening when I'd press the starter button. Decided to reset everything and put the kickstand back down and took the key from the ignition, repeated the starting process and again it wouldn't do a thing.

At this point I decided to switch from 1st to Neutral and then it started with no problem. Very confused since this is the first time it's happened.

I rode once more later that day and to work this morning with no issues, but I'd still be interested if there's anything I should look at? Was thinking it might possibly have been in some strange spot between 1st and Neutral.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
At this point I decided to switch from 1st to Neutral and then it started with no problem. Very confused since this is the first time it's happened.
Erm....why are you starting it in first anyway? What do you do - pull the clutch in and fire it up? Any reason?

Ben

·
Registered
299 Posts
when you come to a stop in gear(clutch in) and put the kickstand down the bike turns off. what makes you think you could start the bike in gear with the stand down ??? the bike should be started in neutral.
less draw on battery and starter especially cold !!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erm....why are you starting it in first anyway? What do you do - pull the clutch in and fire it up? Any reason?

Ben
Yeah, that's the gist of it. No one has ever told me that I should start the bike in neutral and this issue is the first one that has occurred in over a year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you come to a stop in gear(clutch in) and put the kickstand down the bike turns off. what makes you think you could start the bike in gear with the stand down ??? the bike should be started in neutral.
less draw on battery and starter especially cold !!!
Can you explain how it causes less draw on the battery to start in neutral?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when the engine is cold the oil is thick. clutch is in oil.
I will definitely look into that more. I could just be getting lucky since I ride every day and I'm in FL, but being parked for 8hrs or longer definitely makes things cool.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not only that, but are you setting off as soon as you start her up (seeing as you’re in gear and all), or then dropping it into neutral and letting it warm up? Always let a bike warm up and circulate a bit of oil first.
Ben
especially an air cooled bike !!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I always start in neutral...unless i just killed it at an intersection, then i start it in whatever will get me the fuzz out of there. I would guess(if Eddy is wrong about the loose clutch switch/relay) that you tapped your kickstand with your heel. If it's in N then it will start kickstand down, if it's in gear the kickstand kills it, even if it's only down a little. Real easy to do and not notice, that's why it worked when you started over, you tapped the kickstand all the way up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts