Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I can't share any photos yet and I don't take my classes until next week, but as of today I am the owner of a new SCR950.

Been lurking the last couple weeks and can't wait to join the community. All the best.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new SCR950! If you don't mind me asking, why the SCR950 and not the more common Honda CBR300 or something like that? That's the usual progression I see with new riders.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ah, nice question. I was heavily considering either a Rebel 300 or 500 for learning to ride on the highway, but I'm doing a 3 year lease and I know that if it becomes something I really love then I'd outgrow it sooner than later.
Nice, and very interesting. I did not know one could lease a motorcycle, this is the first I've heard of it. I do not believe leasing a motorcycle is an option in Canada...I bought my SCR on a straight cash deal, no trade in and no financing. They gave me a deal I couldnt refuse. I have about 3000 kms on mine now and absolutely love it. For me, it's the perfect motorcycle!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, and very interesting. I did not know one could lease a motorcycle, this is the first I've heard of it. I do not believe leasing a motorcycle is an option in Canada...I bought my SCR on a straight cash deal, no trade in and no financing. They gave me a deal I couldnt refuse. I have about 3000 kms on mine now and absolutely love it. For me, it's the perfect motorcycle!
Ah, I think I got the word wrong and that it is financed, but on a loan through my bank and not a lease. I have the option to pay more than the required payments so I hope to have it payed off entirely in two years. Dealer also took off an additional 500 and is going to take care of my MSF.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well, I can't share any photos yet and I don't take my classes until next week, but as of today I am the owner of a new SCR950.

Been lurking the last couple weeks and can't wait to join the community. All the best.
So by classes do you mean you're taking a motorcycle course to get your motorcycle drivers licence?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just use the classes as a chance to test your limits, and it's better to drop their bikes than your new SCR950. I'm sure my old instructor wasn't a fan of me, took a bike out of commission. :grin2:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just use the classes as a chance to test your limits, and it's better to drop their bikes than your new SCR950. I'm sure my old instructor wasn't a fan of me, took a bike out of commission. :grin2:
No....no, no, don't go testing any limits. Use the classes to learn everything you can about motorcycles AND how to safely operate one. Don't ever TEST your limits, learn and know your limits.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No....no, no, don't go testing any limits. Use the classes to learn everything you can about motorcycles AND how to safely operate one. Don't ever TEST your limits, learn and know your limits.
Oh of course. I'm sure @OpenRoad was being a bit facetious.

I certainly don't plan on putting a bike down, but I do expect this class to teach me the proper way to do so. I believe the course will actually be taught by officers from my county Sheriff's department so while I've heard they have a fun time doing it, I'm betting they'll keep me in check.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this week I was originally going to have a Thursday night class indoors, then a class Sat and Sun morning for riding. Now because of the hurricane, a college game has been moved up in time on Saturday and one of the instructors has tickets to the game so they decided to shrink the class to Thursday and Friday night.

So it looks like I get to ride some bikes tonight and tomorrow. Downside now is that the weather might shut down the DMV first half of next week, so I won't be able to get my new license til later. Probably not too big of a problem though since I'm planning to keep my bike at the dealership until the weather is nicer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So this week I was originally going to have a Thursday night class indoors, then a class Sat and Sun morning for riding. Now because of the hurricane, a college game has been moved up in time on Saturday and one of the instructors has tickets to the game so they decided to shrink the class to Thursday and Friday night.

So it looks like I get to ride some bikes tonight and tomorrow. Downside now is that the weather might shut down the DMV first half of next week, so I won't be able to get my new license til later. Probably not too big of a problem though since I'm planning to keep my bike at the dealership until the weather is nicer.
Fleeing the southern regions in the SCR to move up north would have been a nice ride up. I'm far away from the storm but if i was in that situation it would be my first thought. But not everyone can get up and leave so far away.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fleeing the southern regions in the SCR to move up north would have been a nice ride up. I'm far away from the storm but if i was in that situation it would be my first thought. But not everyone can get up and leave so far away.
With enough time to leave it could have been a nice ride, but wow, the traffic the last few days on 95 North was terrible. Fortunately I live in the center of the state so we're out of the flooding areas, though it looks like the flooding is only mild; even in the FL Keys.

My largest concern would be falling trees and debris. Wouldn't be able to store my SCR indoors so it's still safely at the dealership. Looks like I'll be riding it home on Tuesday.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My largest concern would be falling trees and debris. Wouldn't be able to store my SCR indoors so it's still safely at the dealership. Looks like I'll be riding it home on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

How has Irma treated you? Heard there are now tornadoes to deal with?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My area of FL handled Irma well, but there still lots of big trees that went down and power outages for some areas that lasted almost two days. Luckily no tornadoes came through our area but we did have some warnings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right, so my class went very smoothly for being 3-day condensed into 2-days. The storms are well passed and the traffic on the highways is finally getting back to normal. It's looking like tomorrow I will be getting my license re-issued with the new motorcycle endorsement and then afterwards will be driving home my new SCR. I'm planning for this weekend to be a great opportunity to go out and explore a lot of the low traffic county roads and get comfortable before I begin commuting 30-40min daily.

Looking forward to sharing photos and stories; also getting that seat modified.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts