Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I am sneaking up on 4,000 miles and it is running noticeably stronger than it did at 2,000 miles. I wonder if you'll notice the same thing.
Yamaha must build their machines to some close tolerances. I've owned four myself (1 air cooled v-twin plus liquid cooled vertical twin, inline four and inline triples) and my girlfriend has the SCR's grandpa - a V-Star 950. Each one smoothed out and ran even better with run-in miles.
This reminds me - I want to check the SCR's throttle body synchronization. It has about 8,500 miles and I last checked it about 6,000-6,500 miles ago. Stay tuned, campers! {pun intended}:wink2:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Power and miles

I'l have to see. Its got a lot of power... But I;d swear my old KZ750 was a bit faster?
In the mid 90's I looked at some dyno runs made on the same ZX-7 that was piped and re-jetted as it rolled off the showroom floor, and again around 2k and again at 4k and at 5k. The power likely peaked between 4 and 5k miles. Its also possible that it was on better tires when they were swapped after the stock ones wore out. Anyway mine is close to 2500 now, and I noticed it got more powerful in the first 100-150 miles, but after that I've been fooling with it too much to make a proper assessment. The restrictor in the pipe I have been running recently has cost me maybe 10 mph in top speed, and I seem to have gained no gas mileage either. I'll be pulling it out next chance I get.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts