Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

FORSA 12.25 shocks

13K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ChopperCharles 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, today I installed FORSA 12.25" shocks on my SCR950. Stock shocks are 10.25", so that's a 2 inch rise. These shocks are made for a Sportster. First of all, while they do fit with some modification, they are too long. With a stock exhaust system, the bracket on the swingarm that keeps the rear brake hose out of the tire will contact the OEM muffler bracket. I removed the front-most bolt and swung the bracket ever so slightly out of the way, and this allowed me to fit the shocks. I can notch this bracket and still attach the front bolt... but the shocks are still too long. There is a LOT of slack in the drive belt now.

That said, I took the bike for a quick ride, and WOW what a difference. I didn't bottom out going over speed bumps, even with the FORSA shocks set on the lowest preload setting. The ride felt about the same - rather firm - but there is SO much more ground clearance in turns. Handling is now on the quicker side of neutral, instead of the slow side. I can still ride hands-free without any kind of wobble or instability.

I like the stance of the bike a lot better as well, the bike is canted more forward and it looks more aggressive, and there is more space between the rear tire and the fender.

That said, I'm going to use these on another project, and go with 11.75" Sportster shocks instead. If the shocks were a half inch shorter, the swingarm will not contact that bracket, and the slack in the drive belt will be a little more manageable. So I'd say that 11.75" shocks are the maximum you can use with the stock exhaust system. 12.25 is probably the maximum you can use if you want all the ride height you can possibly get, AND are okay with more slack in the belt, AND you have an aftermarket exhaust. That's a lot of conditions. :)

Also, the bike really needs a 2x4 under the sidestand now.

Charles.

See less See more
#2 ·
Also, you'll need to use the rubber bushings from your original shocks in the FORSA shocks, as they're made for Harley 1/2" diameter shock mounts. The bushings press out easily with an arbor press or a vice and some sockets.

I think I'm going to try 11.75" Factory Spec shocks next, again for the Sportster. They're certainly priced right, and there are a lot of good reviews on Amazon.

Charles.

#8 · (Edited)
I found the riding boots that I would need to go with that change.

#12 ·
Actually, I was playing around and I think I'm going to attempt to adapt a Buell Thunderbolt tensioner pulley to the SCR. If that works well enough, I'll snag one of the Free Spirit tensioners, which is an auto-tensioner. It should work fine, I will just have to weld together a mounting bracket, and may have to trim bits and pieces off the tensioner guards. I found a pic of a regular Bolt with this setup, and very long rear shocks here:

I think I can totally make something like that work. The question is can I retain the lower belt guard.

Charles.

#13 · (Edited)
Alright! I went out to the garage and inspected the bike, and it looks like I can relatively easily make an idler pulley work. There is a very nice place to mount it, and I'm pretty sure that neither the guard nor the frame will need to be modified in any way. After the initial prototype is working, I will consider building an idler pulley kit for all the 950 Bolts, which will allow you to run longer shocks. Up to, and potentially beyond 12.25 inches. I will consider selling them for a small profit... Hrm, a kickstarter might be in order.

Cue maniacal laughter. :)

Charles.

#15 ·
Hopefully you can resurrect Charles and get a response. He hasn't posted anything in over 7 months. He was a real Road Warrier on this forum with all kinds of great info on mods he was doing to his SCR. Search his post history and you might find your answers.

#18 ·
The FORSA shocks turned to crap in less than 6 months time. They went from okay shocks to bottoming out and wallowing and just feeling dangerous, and actually by the end were harsher than stock shocks. I took them off and tossed them in the trash. I do not recommend them anymore. I went with stock shocks and a Baron's Rise-Up kit for the rear, and slid the tubes down in the trees 1/2" for the front. (Stock they're 1/4" over the top of the trees, so now they're 1/4" under the top of the tree, leaving more than an inch still captured by the upper triple tree clamp)

The stock shocks are still crap, but they're consistent and don't turn to total unrideable garbage in 6-8 months of regular use.

Charles.

#20 ·
Okay, today I installed FORSA 12.25" shocks on my SCR950. Stock shocks are 10.25", so that's a 2 inch rise. These shocks are made for a Sportster. First of all, while they do fit with some modification, they are too long. With a stock exhaust system, the bracket on the swingarm that keeps the rear brake hose out of the tire will contact the OEM muffler bracket. I removed the front-most bolt and swung the bracket ever so slightly out of the way, and this allowed me to fit the shocks. I can notch this bracket and still attach the front bolt... but the shocks are still too long. There is a LOT of slack in the drive belt now.

That said, I took the bike for a quick ride, and WOW what a difference. I didn't bottom out going over speed bumps, even with the FORSA shocks set on the lowest preload setting. The ride felt about the same - rather firm - but there is SO much more ground clearance in turns. Handling is now on the quicker side of neutral, instead of the slow side. I can still ride hands-free without any kind of wobble or instability.

I like the stance of the bike a lot better as well, the bike is canted more forward and it looks more aggressive, and there is more space between the rear tire and the fender.

That said, I'm going to use these on another project, and go with 11.75" Sportster shocks instead. If the shocks were a half inch shorter, the swingarm will not contact that bracket, and the slack in the drive belt will be a little more manageable. So I'd say that 11.75" shocks are the maximum you can use with the stock exhaust system. 12.25 is probably the maximum you can use if you want all the ride height you can possibly get, AND are okay with more slack in the belt, AND you have an aftermarket exhaust. That's a lot of conditions. :)

Also, the bike really needs a 2x4 under the sidestand now.

Charles.
Would a slightly shorter belt be a easy solution? Or are there none available? I’m looking to go with a flat tracker look. You’re looks like what I’m after.

#21 ·
Here's an SCR flat tracker. I snipped this image long ago as being the coolest looking SCR I've ever seen, although our forum member @Burke has set his up to be as cool as it gets while still being street legal.

#23 ·
Raising the bike isn't really a problem. More suspension travel is the problem. If you raise the bike, but retain the 2" shock stroke (1.7" until the bumper hits, the remaining .3 is the compression of the bumper), then just readjust the tension as per the manual and you're fine. Now if you happen to find a way to fit a shock with 4" of suspension travel, then yes you'll have a problem and need a tensioner. But at that point you'll need longer fork tubes and platform shoes to ride the bike. Since the shocks are so short, the best you'll get is about 2.5" of shock travel, which is close enough to stock that it makes little difference. Adjust it on the loose side and call it good.

Note that even when VERY loose, the belt won't skip teeth unless it is also VERY worn.

Charles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.