Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Would a slightly shorter belt be a easy solution? Or are there none available? I’m looking to go with a flat tracker look. You’re looks like what I’m after.
Here's an SCR flat tracker. I snipped this image long ago as being the coolest looking SCR I've ever seen, although our forum member @Burke has set his up to be as cool as it gets while still being street legal.

Would a slightly shorter belt be a easy solution? Or are there none available? I’m looking to go with a flat tracker look. You’re looks like what I’m after.
A shorter belt wont help at all. There's lots of adjustment to make the belt tighter.
The problem is the belt gets loose at full down travel and tight when the swingarm is straight back from the front pulley. With more than a few inches of travel the belt gets so loose it may slip at full down travel. You could make an idler pulley to keep the belt tight if you wanted to raise the bike up more than an inch or two.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Raising the bike isn't really a problem. More suspension travel is the problem. If you raise the bike, but retain the 2" shock stroke (1.7" until the bumper hits, the remaining .3 is the compression of the bumper), then just readjust the tension as per the manual and you're fine. Now if you happen to find a way to fit a shock with 4" of suspension travel, then yes you'll have a problem and need a tensioner. But at that point you'll need longer fork tubes and platform shoes to ride the bike. Since the shocks are so short, the best you'll get is about 2.5" of shock travel, which is close enough to stock that it makes little difference. Adjust it on the loose side and call it good.

Note that even when VERY loose, the belt won't skip teeth unless it is also VERY worn.

Charles.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.