Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1979 CX Street Scrambler. It’s a 79 cx500 frame with an 83 650 motor. (Actually 673cc). It’s heavily modified with modern forks and monoshock suspension. It’s quite a bit faster and lighter than my SCR!!

https://youtu.be/Zryx8uSH0Kg

Took it for the first ride in a year, since I bought the SCR. I’m quite happy to have it back running... so of course now I’ve taken it all back apart to work on the issues that had me set it aside in the first place!

Charles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Took it for the first ride in a year, since I bought the SCR. I’m quite happy to have it back running... so of course now I’ve taken it all back apart to work on the issues that had me set it aside in the first place! Charles.
Hope it's not the $#@% mechanical seal on the water pump. ;-)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah. That’s an easy fix anyhow. Unless the oil seal behind the water pump seal is bad, it can be done just by removing the carbs coolant hoses and water pump cover. If the oil seal is bad it’s an engine out repair, but usually those only go out if you plug the weep hole and water is forced through the oil seal into the motor.

Charles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1994 GSXR750 front end, with 1998 brakes (6-piston vs 3-piston calipers). The 1994 front end had more fork offset and a cable-drive speedometer. The 1996-up front end would have required me to go with an electronic instrument package and it would have had WAY too much trail for the vintage rake. Instead I got to use vintage gauges and only had to move the tank rearward about an inch to get enough lock-to-lock clearance.

It's better than a guzzi, actually. 673ccs, 65hp, 9500rpm redline out of a pushrod engine. The heads are twisted on the cylinders so there's a direct intake tract, but the carbs are still tucked in nicely under the tank instead of banging on your knees. 4 valves per cylinder, locknut valve adjusters, and a lot of fun. Plus Honda reliability and it's also a boatload lighter than a guzzi as well.

Charles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts