Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here since my purchase back in January and I decided to finally get an account. My '17 SCR950 is my first bike, kind of a 30 year crisis purchase :p but I'm loving every minute of it! For the most part I've been riding it as my (almost) daily driver with my ~30min/15mile commute. I'm not really a motorhead or anything, but I'm generally handy, so some of my upgrades I'm hoping to do myself, but when it gets into serious upgrades I might need some in-depth help, if not just taking it into a mechanic.

I've been eyeballing the Corbin seat, and I'm hoping to pull the trigger on it soon. If anyone has any other seats they'd recommend me checking out before I pull the trigger there, or any positive or negative feedback on the Corbin seat that'd be great!

I have seen the under-seat bag that's sold on Etsy by one of the other forum members and am considering buying that, but I'd also like to pick up some saddlebags and possibly a smaller sissy-bar/rear cargo rack, but I haven't really settled on anything there. I did recently get some really cheap, fake leather saddlebags, and I love the utility they offer, but they've made me realize that I need something better, so if anyone has any recommendations there, I'd totally appreciate it (also if they need some sort of rack or rig to make them work with the bike, advice on whatever I'd need there would be great!).

I've been told (by Reddit when I posted pics of my bike there) that my front fender is on backwards, but I haven't gotten around to fixing that (nor have I really even looked into how difficult a task this will be).

Mostly just due to the knee knocking as I'm 6'0", but the other thing I've been kind of interested in changing out is the Air Filter, but again, this being my first bike, and not being extremely knowledgeable about engines, I'm not entirely sure how big of an undertaking that would be. I've seen people in here going with the Cobra or the Kuryakyn Velociraptor, I've seen shots from above the seat with the Velociraptor, but I don't think I have with the Cobra, but from what I can tell, it looks like the Velociraptor gives you more knee space, but sticks out a bit further than the Cobra. Is there any concern when riding in inclement weather with either of those? I know the stock filter is pretty sealed, but those two seem a little more exposed to the elements.

So yeah, now that I've basically written a novel, I just wanna say thanks for having an awesome forum, dedicated to this new (to me) bike that I'm really digging (even if it does seem like I want to change a lot of it). And thanks again in advance for any feedback y'all can give me!!

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Welcome to the group!
Yea, there's a lot to like about a SCR950 and tons of stuff to alter it to your liking.
The 1st order of business for me was a new seat. I tried a cover, building my own from scratch (seat pan and all) and ended up with a foam and cover kit from Seat Concepts.
With a Harbor Freight air stapler and stainless staples from Home Depot, it was literally a 30 minute job and worth ever penny to me.
As for your fender being on backwards, yep.
It is and it's probably the most common (only?) dealer setup goof we've really encountered. =)
Enjoy your new ride!
-eddie over in Columbus, GA

PS: For cleaning and stuff, I got one of these little stands and it holds the bike off the ground nicely!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Deck-...839834&hash=item1ee77e76b0:g:DPEAAOSwLF1X~b2q

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
And yes the Seat Concepts Kit is a simple enhancement over the stock seat.
Here's mine with a modified Yamaha enduro rack from the 70s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
@eddie , thanks for the link to the little scissor lift. Just ordered one. I have a full size lift table but I don't like dragging it out for simple stuff. Plus I can place that small stand under any bike that is already on the lift table if I need to service the wheels or suspension. And as compact as it is, I am sure I will find other uses for it.

Reactions: eddie

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I noticed there was another brand in gray but the threads on the jack screw were not as aggressive as the RED unit. It would take a long time to get it up on the gray one.....//

·
Registered
884 Posts
I noticed there was another brand in gray but the threads on the jack screw were not as aggressive as the RED unit. It would take a long time to get it up on the gray one.....//
I got "a" red one but not the one listed.
Mine's not got a handle for the jack screw. I take a 21mm, 3/8" drive socket and run it up. It's not fast, no, but I can get the bike lifted easily enough with a relatively short ratchet handle. Have a section of commercial office carpet that I put between the lift and the frame for added paint protection, too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Eddie, I'm assuming that the RED jack you got from Ebay is really FAST to operate?😜
Here are some photos of the one I got with a close up of the threads (AA battery for scale) and a view of one of the steel roller bearings.
The rubber mat top has taken some abuse from the skid plate bolt heads, though. All the more reason I now stick a piece of carpet on top now.
Last photo is of a little spy keeping tabs on my work just now. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ditto on the small scissor rack. I've got a similar red one (from Amazon, I think) and use a socket to lift the bike as well. The bike balances nicely on the rack using the frame rails. Quite sturdy actually.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
As for your fender being on backwards, yep.
It is and it's probably the most common (only?) dealer setup goof we've really encountered. =)
Number one is probably the reverse fender. Number two is probably inconsistency in what comes in the toolkit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for saddlebags that pair well with that underseat storage unit you're thinking about picking up from me, my shortbag works nicely for easy access to said storage unit. No additional hardware is needed to get it on the bike, and it holds a light jacket, gloves, and my goggles when at capacity. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here are some photos of the one I got with a close up of the threads (AA battery for scale) and a view of one of the steel roller bearings.
The rubber mat top has taken some abuse from the skid plate bolt heads, though. All the more reason I now stick a piece of carpet on top now.
Last photo is of a little spy keeping tabs on my work just now. ;-)
I got my mini lift table today!
The quality is not that of the one in your photo, but I'm sure it will hold up none the less. The T-handle is removable, as in simply being a cheap socket and crossbar. I used a 7/8 socket on a cordless nut runner and it works fine. But it is a bit unnerving as a one man operation. I will try it again this evening as a one man and his wife operation, but that could end badly if there was a mishap of any kind whatsoever. Who would be to blame? It's obvious in mind. Decision made. It will remain a one man operation with practice over time. I may weld little outriggers to the base like some others I've seen on YouTube. These SCRs really are heifers.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I got my mini lift table today!
The quality is not that of the one in your photo, but I'm sure it will hold up none the less. The T-handle is removable, as in simply being a cheap socket and crossbar. I used a 7/8 socket on a cordless nut runner and it works fine. But it is a bit unnerving as a one man operation. I will try it again this evening as a one man and his wife operation, but that could end badly if there was a mishap of any kind whatsoever. Who would be to blame? It's obvious in mind. Decision made. It will remain a one man operation with practice over time. I may weld little outriggers to the base like some others I've seen on YouTube. These SCRs really are heifers.
I start out with the side stand down (of course) and the front wheel unlocked and straight ahead. On the right side of the bike, I'll slide the lift underneath the engine until it 's just past the frame tube an inch or two on the left side and the lift's square to the bike. Then I start winding up the lift until it makes contact with the left frame tube. Next, I reach up with my free hand and hold the right handgrip to steady the bike and also help pull the bike upright as the lift goes up. Once the bike's flat on the lift and dead vertical, I just crank away on the lift until the wheels are just barely off the ground.

Going down is pretty much everything in reverse after double checking the side stand is deployed all the way.
Nothing happens abruptly and it hasn't provide a heart-stopping moment yet. ;-)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I start out with the side stand down (of course) and the front wheel unlocked and straight ahead. On the right side of the bike, I'll slide the lift underneath the engine until it 's just past the frame tube an inch or two on the left side and the lift's square to the bike. Then I start winding up the lift until it makes contact with the left frame tube. Next, I reach up with my free hand and hold the right handgrip to steady the bike and also help pull the bike upright as the lift goes up. Once the bike's flat on the lift and dead vertical, I just crank away on the lift until the wheels are just barely off the ground.

Going down is pretty much everything in reverse after double checking the side stand is deployed all the way.
Nothing happens abruptly and it hasn't provide a heart-stopping moment yet. ;-)
Thanks for the quick description. That is exactly how I'm doing it, and it works great. At first I used a power tool to raise the lift and that was too aggressive for my liking.

The photo below shows the lift and my new look on the scrub plate. I decided against sending it out for black oxide finish due to the amount of stone chips I noticed once it was removed from the bike and inspected. Future stone chips would expose raw aluminum thru the black oxide finish and that would look bad.

So I got a quote to have a local Rhino-Liner shop spray the scrub plate both sides. They wanted $60, and I'm too cheap for that, so I sandblasted the aluminum to give it a good textured finish and then coated it myself with Rustoleum Professional Grade Truck Bed Coating. The textured finish is exactly what I was looking for, and it is no longer such an obvious bolt-on accessory like when it was shiny aluminum.

I was hoping to dress warm and go for a ride today until I looked out my back window this morning.
March 31st in southeast Michigan.......

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been lurking in the shadows watching this little lift. I'm thinking " why don't they start off with the front wheel in a chock? Especially in a CONDOR chock?" That way you are starting the lift with the bike level. And for those that are unfamiliar with the CONDOR, it's the safest wheel chock out there! It is nearly impossible to tip your bike over in one of those! No straps, just the front wheel in the chock. If I don't need to have the wheels off the ground, this is my work stand. Jevers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts