Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I need a bit of help. I recently got a SCR950 probably about 2 months and it’s always had this feeling but I figured new bike new feelings. But I’ve already logged 1,000 miles on it, 2200 miles total. Dealer told me it had break in oil and the previous guy got it serviced at the dealership I bought it from at 1,000 miles. I'm only saying this cause at first i was like maybe its a break in period thing cause i have never bought a newer motorcycle. But i'm starting to question it more and more now. While I'm riding and i dont get the feeling while im just sitting still and revving. But really noticeable while riding when i get on the throttle at a certain RPMs I notice it has somewhat of a grinding feeling i can feel in the handlebars and i don't hear it or feel it at all when sitting still and revving but theres just the slight scratching feeling i get through the bars. It doesn't feel like grips or turning the bars side to side. I'm just super confused is it just a normal feeling people get on these bikes or could it be something major?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha SCR950 2011 Kimco 160 Scooter
32 Posts
Alright so I need a bit of help. I recently got a SCR950 probably about 2 months and it’s always had this feeling but I figured new bike new feelings. But I’ve already logged 1,000 miles on it, 2200 miles total. Dealer told me it had break in oil and the previous guy got it serviced at the dealership I bought it from at 1,000 miles. I'm only saying this cause at first i was like maybe its a break in period thing cause i have never bought a newer motorcycle. But i'm starting to question it more and more now. While I'm riding and i dont get the feeling while im just sitting still and revving. But really noticeable while riding when i get on the throttle at a certain RPMs I notice it has somewhat of a grinding feeling i can feel in the handlebars and i don't hear it or feel it at all when sitting still and revving but theres just the slight scratching feeling i get through the bars. It doesn't feel like grips or turning the bars side to side. I'm just super confused is it just a normal feeling people get on these bikes or could it be something major? View attachment 18748
Alright so I need a bit of help. I recently got a SCR950 probably about 2 months and it’s always had this feeling but I figured new bike new feelings. But I’ve already logged 1,000 miles on it, 2200 miles total. Dealer told me it had break in oil and the previous guy got it serviced at the dealership I bought it from at 1,000 miles. I'm only saying this cause at first i was like maybe its a break in period thing cause i have never bought a newer motorcycle. But i'm starting to question it more and more now. While I'm riding and i dont get the feeling while im just sitting still and revving. But really noticeable while riding when i get on the throttle at a certain RPMs I notice it has somewhat of a grinding feeling i can feel in the handlebars and i don't hear it or feel it at all when sitting still and revving but theres just the slight scratching feeling i get through the bars. It doesn't feel like grips or turning the bars side to side. I'm just super confused is it just a normal feeling people get on these bikes or could it be something major?]

Hello from California….
My SCR has about 3200 miles on it and the entire front end, steering and all, is smooth as silk. The whole bike feels heavier than it should but I rides so well. I cannot be more happy with this bike. T

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alright so I need a bit of help. I recently got a SCR950 probably about 2 months and it’s always had this feeling but I figured new bike new feelings. But I’ve already logged 1,000 miles on it, 2200 miles total. Dealer told me it had break in oil and the previous guy got it serviced at the dealership I bought it from at 1,000 miles. I'm only saying this cause at first i was like maybe its a break in period thing cause i have never bought a newer motorcycle. But i'm starting to question it more and more now. While I'm riding and i dont get the feeling while im just sitting still and revving. But really noticeable while riding when i get on the throttle at a certain RPMs I notice it has somewhat of a grinding feeling i can feel in the handlebars and i don't hear it or feel it at all when sitting still and revving but theres just the slight scratching feeling i get through the bars. It doesn't feel like grips or turning the bars side to side. I'm just super confused is it just a normal feeling people get on these bikes or could it be something major? View attachment 18748
My bike literally had 1 mile on it when I bought it new and now it has 9000 miles. In those miles ridden, I've never felt anything like what you're describing. I don't know what's going on with your bike but I would start by checking the drive belt tension to be sure that it isn't loose and slipping under a load. Maybe someone else had a similar problem and will help you. Good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike literally had 1 mile on it when I bought it new and now it has 9000 miles. In those miles ridden, I've never felt anything like what you're describing. I don't know what's going on with your bike but I would start by checking the drive belt tension to be sure that it isn't loose and slipping under a load. Maybe someone else had a similar problem and will help you. Good luck with the bike.
And it’s not a lot it’s just slightly there I didn’t know if I was being really picky or if it is something serious.

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Could it be the steering head bearings mate - a known issue on both the SCRs and Bolts - take a look:

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be the steering head bearings mate - a known issue on both the SCRs and Bolts - take a look:

Cheers,
Ben
I’ll definitely try that to see if it gets any better!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I‘ve had over a dozen Yamahas over the years, and this has the absolute worst, roughest, transmission out of any of them. Also the gooseneck bearings on my steering were really loose when I got my bike and that rattled my bars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I‘ve had over a dozen Yamahas over the years, and this has the absolute worst, roughest, transmission out of any of them. Also the gooseneck bearings on my steering were really loose when I got my bike and that rattled my bars.
Well I've rode quite a few Harleys and some of the big Suzuki intruders and vibrating handle bars doesn't bother me all that bad but when a rubble makes a metal on metal grind feel while giving it throttle on the new bike I bought, it does scare me something is messed up. I'm just hoping it is something wrong with the bars and not anything serious cause its not something that bothers me all that bad I just don't want it to run into some catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I've rode quite a few Harleys and some of the big Suzuki intruders and vibrating handle bars doesn't bother me all that bad but when a rubble makes a metal on metal grind feel while giving it throttle on the new bike I bought, it does scare me something is messed up. I'm just hoping it is something wrong with the bars and not anything serious cause its not something that bothers me all that bad I just don't want it to run into some catastrophic failure.
Head race bearings sound a good place to start. Failing that the engine mounts?
I've never had this problem on this or any modern machinery - good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts