Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have noticed a front end shake in the handle bars. It shows up at high speeds, over 80, and lows around 15. Is there a fix to this?
Check/adjust the steering head bearing. You can do it yourself with a proper service manual for instructions, or you can fix it using one of the handy tools below.

Mine was fine until I hit around 4,000 miles. Now I've got the wobbles too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I only noticed it when someone mentioned it on the Bolt forum... to be fair I always ride holding on to the bars either one or two handed, I never ride non handed.

I have noticed it's been reduced when I fitted the rear shock risers leading me to thinking the front end up, back end down may play a part in this? Who knows but like SCRBen posted, tapered bearings are the way forward according to the Bolt owners.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Having heard about the Bolt head shake trait before buying an SCR950,
I went old school and gave the adjusting ring a tap or three with a long punch and hammer when it only had about 2,000-2,200 miles on it.
It barely moved, but the steering still felt nice and smooth without being bound-up at all.
I bought a proper adjustment wrench and did it the right way at about 5,000 miles.
At no time before, during or after that time did I ever experience the slightest headshake.
I even tried to make it do it by taking my hands off the bars when slowing from highway speed down a freeway off ramp.
The only thing I may have done different than most is I drilled and tapped the original bar ends to accept a set of SV650 weights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think some my be mistaking 'tramming' as head shake?

Tramming is when the tire follows imperfections/grooves in the road, wider tires, and certain tread patterns are more susceptible to tramming, and the SCR OE tires are horrible for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There may be an occasion when the tires have developed a bit of siping or cupping and this will contribute to a bit of "wobble".

There are many threads on other motorcycle forums in regard to front-end wobble. Much of that is tire related.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There may be an occasion when the tires have developed a bit of siping or cupping and this will contribute to a bit of "wobble".

There are many threads on other motorcycle forums in regard to front-end wobble. Much of that is tire related.
Experienced some fairly heavy head shake on my ride down from Independence Pass into Aspen this weekend.
Heavy deceleration / rough grooved roads / both hands off the bars (yes I know! I know! ..but my throttle hand went to sleep)

“handlebars looked like a Labrador flapping its ears!”

Solution:
Grab the bars / gas it and it goes right away.
-Doesn’t do the “shake” if I remove the panniers... (I think the bike is secretly asking for a wheelie ...😉)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts