Yamaha SCR950 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and....
Haven’t seen any girls here yet. Well nevermind.

Have any of you experienced handlebar wobble?
My tyres have been changed, still the same. Braught it to the same. They balanced the tyres again, still the same problem.

Do any of you know if the bike come disesembled to the dealer? (Perhaps only in the Netherlands). Maybe the front fork hasn’t been mounted correctly.

Hope to hear from you. The bike is standing still more than I’m riding it, lately, due to some fysical ailments. Now it’s at the shop again and I’m gettin’ a little cabin fevered.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I lifted the Top clamp up some and tightened down the steering bearings today. It really helped.
It took about 95% of the wobble out. I could have went a Tad tighter but just wanted to see how this done. I'm satisfied with the amount i tightened.

They were loose from the factory by a lot. Glad I tightened them.

Also moved the Forks up in the clamps 15mm and really helped with steering and turning.

Bike is really fun to ride Now!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also moved the Forks up in the clamps 15mm and really helped with steering and turning.

Interesting

Yea this bike feels top heavy and a little - well ponderously slow and I am sure de-raking it should help. In fact I have 1/2 a mind to slap on some katana 600 forks along with that 17" front wheel, twin disks and throw some sticky rubber on it and try it … noooo talk about lowering it 4". Too much … just too much …

·
Registered
114 Posts

Interesting

Yea this bike feels top heavy and a little - well ponderously slow and I am sure de-raking it should help. In fact I have 1/2 a mind to slap on some katana 600 forks along with that 17" front wheel, twin disks and throw some sticky rubber on it and try it … noooo talk about lowering it 4". Too much … just too much …
Yeah!... I would definitely put a different set of Forks on if I had another set. Especially a Twin Cartridge set to where you had a Comp/Rebound adjustment.

May have to go with a Heavier weight fluid and add a little extra when time to change Fork Fluid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven’t checked back in a while, so I didn’t see the updates. Very helpfull, thanks a lot.

The bike is at a certified dealer in another town now. Local guys just put some weights on the rims and called it a day.

The Yamaha dealer wasn’t very convinced that it was the ballhead(torque)or forks. Local guys didn’t have the Yamaha wrench and didn’t want to mess around with the bike when it was still under warrenty. I guess I understand.

Not being very healthy and lacking the skills (and tools) to do the work correctly, I must rely on the dealer. We’ll wait and see.

Had a few bikes, but this one is contesting with my very first in 2001 (also new) Ducati Monster as most troublesome. Last was fixed by a mechanic who left the two timing shop to start for himself. The conshop went out of business.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bike has returned from the Yamaha dealer. New front tyre. Fastened the head a little. €269,- Still a wobble at 70-90 KM/U. Next changing the ballhead at another shop. Shop 3 for problem child. But she is gorgeous.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
884 Posts
I’ve had the conic ballhead bearings installed and the mechanic said that these bearings are never fastened with a torque wrench. Only ball bearings. The conic are done by ‘expert feeling’.

Still got a little shake from 70-90 KM/H. This was shop, nr3. In total 700 euros lighter. ‘Starting’ to develop trust issues.
I'd look for a different mechanic.
The XT1200 Super Tenere I have came with tapered roller bearings. Installation and upkeep call for specific torque values.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd look for a different mechanic.
The XT1200 Super Tenere I have came with tapered roller bearings. Installation and upkeep call for specific torque values.
Thanks for the reply, Eddie. My bearings look the same as in your picture. I’m thinking of developing expert mechanical skills myself :wink2: and use the values already presented on this forum.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Eddie. My bearings look the same as in your picture. I’m thinking of developing expert mechanical skills myself :wink2: and use the values already presented on this forum.
Just don't use my lift or support methods and you'll be okay.
The Tenere sat on the center stand with a case of pistol ammunition as a counterweight in the trunk and some 90 year old boards stacked under the engine while I pulled the forks and stuff off. :grin2:
My long time friend Dan(pictured) and I got it back together without a mishap, fortunately.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts